The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities?

Scroll to see replies

Not really. Without immigration we wouldn't have many doctors, students, nurses, teachers etc.
We would kinda fail, I think it's good as it is.

Just stop the illegal ones from coming in and allow people who can make a difference to our coutry.
Original post by itzme
who cleans your streets? who takes up jobs that you English are too proud to do? Who accepts as little as 3 pounds per hour, not bothering to take the employer to court, when you would be complaining about not getting minimum wage?
British employers like it when immigrants work for them as many of them don't know their rights and don't look down on any job.

British people and even more British people in they wasnt so many immigrants.
Reply 222
Original post by Scottish
I am pro European-multiculturalism. Third world culture should not be celebrated, it should be discouraged through integration.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Third World culture is not only a pejorative expression, but it also serves to expose your belief in white supremacy!!!

And, such a thing does not exist: people from Latin America are very different from Middle Eastern people, Africans and.... ALL OTHER COUNTRIES.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 223
Original post by Dave Davidson
British people and even more British people in they wasnt so many immigrants.

like they would rush for the jobs! :rolleyes:

I see many young Brits in my area (often young couples) who enjoy going to the JC.
Reply 224
Original post by effofex
No one has an omnipotent presence in Amsterdam or the Netherlands. On weekends I socialize with large numbers of immigrants and a few Nederlanders; the former, for the most part are also nowhere near fluent in Dutch and not once has a single one specified that they were on the receiving end of a hostile attitude from an autochtoon (native Dutch) as a result of this.

I always thought they were quite racist! :s-smilie:

The only thing I like about their country: stroppwafels! :biggrin:
Reply 225
Original post by itzme
I always thought they were quite racist! :s-smilie:

The only thing I like about their country: stroppwafels! :biggrin:

I am sure they make a few derogatory comments about buitlanders (foreigners), but then I am fairly sure I am also free to make a few derogatory or amusing comments about Nederlanders too. Where did you develop the idea that they were quite racist? - The Netherlands Iespecially the provinces of Noord Holland and Zuid Holland) is known for being one of the most tolerant and diverse nations on the planet.
Reply 226
Original post by effofex
I am sure they make a few derogatory comments about buitlanders (foreigners), but then I am fairly sure I am also free to make a few derogatory or amusing comments about Nederlanders too. Where did you develop the idea that they were quite racist? - The Netherlands Iespecially the provinces of Noord Holland and Zuid Holland) is known for being one of the most tolerant and diverse nations on the planet.

Wow! I am learning something new today! Some relatives have said that to me! Some have lived in Rotterdam and Amsterdam and they came here because they did not like it there.
Original post by de_monies
It's a lot harder to learn a language as you get older. Also, she has tried by saying words such as "hello" "Thank you" etc... There's also the factor that 20-30 years ago, there wasn't really any support to learn English in the first place(or you had to pay for it)

When immigrants first came to the country from the South Asian subcontinent, they originally went in to the textile industry and the goal was to provide for a family. To learn English may have meant that the family would go without food for a certain amount of days etc.. Now you see (immigrants) that learn English as there are facilities for them(free)

Also, it's very hypocritical of people to say that people from other countries haven't learnt the language, when you see ex-pats that will go to countries like Spain and live the rest of their lives out, without learning a word of Spanish, and then living in little England in Spain

Not to mention, it was the UK that happily took India's resources pre 1950

Well said. You can't judge someone else unless you've walked in their shoes.
Original post by sandraleicester
Well im from leicester and at the moment we are on the verge of being in the minority, it is 50-50 at the moment. but think we are going to be the first city. but you know what there is no problem here, everyone here speaks english and if they cant them im sure they will learn after being here! fair enough if there is no housing or room in the country he should lower the numbers. But he is not being fair when he says that its ruining communities, im working class btw! making issues like this, causes trouble, he should shut his big fat mouth. We get on fine!

Original post by amsie/
I agree :five:
Racial tension is pretty rare in leicester & I've never really met anyone who couldn't speak a word of english. I don't really see how immigrants aren't integrating :dontknow:

If people from Leicester says they get on fine with immigrants/non white people, what is everyone else's problem?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ish90an
aren't. Learn your native language if you are going to preach about integration.

Them darkies cant even speek English rite? :biggrin:
Original post by Imperial Darklord

And White people, you guys aren't having enough babies hence the reason why more foreign people are born and overtaking your birth rates. It's not some sort of hideous plot to kill all White people. Just Keep making babies already for ffs.
I hate all this statistic crap which 99% misinterpret....

Haha, this is so true. There is no "white genocide", just freaking get laid and make more white babies, if you're so worried.

Why does skin colour matter so much anyway? :s-smilie:

I do agree that immigration should be carefully controlled, but to blaming immigrants for your problems doesn't solve the problems. It's easy to blame the foreigner for your problems, rather than deal with your own shortcomings.

Did immigrants make us go to Iraq?
Did they cause the recession?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by baldwin123
British people can't afford to work for minimum wage, we've all got families to support and everythings so expensive now that it isn't possible to make ends meet and pay mortgages, rent etc without earning decent money. Thats not by accident either. The government has engineered it so.

And non British people don't have families to look after?
Living in Britain costs them same for them too.

What has the government engineered?
Original post by Dave Davidson
Im actually offened you said that. British people want to work just as much as anyone else but our chances are being limited by the decling number of jobs and raising number of immigrants working for low low wages.
What sense does it make at all to let more people in when we cant provide for theb existing population its not being nasty just common sense.

They can't be earning below minimum wage though?
Original post by No Future
Haha, this is so true. There is no "white genocide", just freaking get laid and make more white babies, if you're so worried.

Why does skin colour matter so much anyway? :s-smilie:

I do agree that immigration should be carefully controlled, but to blaming immigrants for your problems doesn't solve the problems. It's easy to blame the foreigner for your problems, rather than deal with your own shortcomings.

Did immigrants make us go to Iraq?
Did they cause the recession?

When you have newspapers like the Daily Fail throwing out various numbers and statistics, the majority of readers are bound to misinterpret that.
Original post by Imperial Darklord
When you have newspapers like the Daily Fail throwing out various numbers and statistics, the majority of readers are bound to misinterpret that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwQsbnz-g10
Original post by effofex
What is third world culture? What does it involve? And how do you go about practising it?

It wasn't my favorite use of terminology tbf. I used it to quote Scottish. I'm assuming that when he used the term, he meant things such as the attitudes to women that are said to be part of some cultures, for example. However, my point was that things such as this still happen in more developed countries, and even though things such as the forementioned do happen in third world countries, there are also many parts of the different cultures that should be celebrated.

You can't practice it, because I don't suppose that it is a real term.
Original post by itzme
why is it a a negative thing that Muslims don't go out clubbing? You do know what clubbing is like, it's not something to promote!!! Now even our decision not to go to such a place is badly looked upon! :rolleyes:

i hate clubbing, but i was making the point that you wouldnt want to be surrounded by muslims in your community solely because you wouldnt want to be surrounded with people who are socially incompatible with you
Original post by No Future
Well said. You can't judge someone else unless you've walked in their shoes.

Can you get them to lend me their shoes then?
It has just killed communities it has killed vast parts of England off once a great nation now mainly a nation where non European immigrants take advantage so often very very sad.
Reply 239
Original post by Milk <3
i hate clubbing, but i was making the point that you wouldnt want to be surrounded by muslims in your community solely because you wouldnt want to be surrounded with people who are socially incompatible with you

I'm not Islamic - and not even a follower of any religion, but I don't think I would care very much if I was surrounded by Muslims in the community in which I live. In fact, I once even lived in London as the only non-Muslim in a house with four other Muslims. Why would they be 'socially incompatible' with me? Or are you just talking horse manure?

Quick Reply

Latest