The Student Room Group

Obscure Delights - Lesser-known foods you want to share with the World!

Okay, so we're always banging on with "OHMAGAWD AH LURB JAFFA CAKES!" "ME LUBZIES ME SUM COCA COLA!" - we do love ourselves some popular branded products, alright. But sometimes we want to eat something a little more... secret. Elusive. Ninja-esque. Foods that aren't always talked about and sit on the shelf, biding time, they don't necessarily call to you - you go to them. And when you discover them, you've discovered HIDDEN NIRVANA!

And now, we want to out them to the world! Tell EVERYONE about how epic they are. Post your food and drink items people may not've heard about, but are beyond-words brilliance! I'll start with some of my favourites...

MILCH KNOPPERS

Layers of wafer, nutella with chunks of hazelnut, milk chocolate and cream filling - how can it NOT be good?!

Buy it where? LIDL, ALDI

LOTTE KANCHO

Essentially perfect replicants of "Burton's Cartoonies", it's a crunchy, crumbly biscuit filled with chocolate. I absolutely adore - ADORE these, and in no small part to Cartoonies being nostalgically linked as one of my favourite sweet treats of all time.

Buy it where? Asian Supermarkets

MEIJI MUSHROOMS

Chocolate cap, biscuit stem - these chocolate biscuit mushrooms are exquisite. The biscuit is similar to KP dipper biscuit, but the chocolate is totally unique.

Buy it where? Asian Supermarkets

MOOLI WRAPS

Tiny Mooli radish wraps filled with either Thai chicken, sweet chilli prawns or soy beef with veggies. Delicious and sold in packs of 10 for a TINY 100 calories for the lot, the prawn and beef ones are sold in packs of 6 apiece for a measly 50 and 30 calories for the lot, respectively. Brilliantly tasty and a great choice for dieters too.

Buy it Where? Marks and Spencer

TOFFEE CREAM MERINGUES

Two toffee-flavoured meringues, dipped in chocolate, held together with real dairy toffee cream and a slathering of soft caramel. Incredible (and no joke, 135 cals apiece to those counting).

Buy it Where? Marks and Spencer

GEBIRGSJAGER FRIKADELLEN

Spiced Meat patties similar to burgers but with a distinctly more herby, substancial taste. Utterly gorgeous, and sold ready to eat (cooked).

Buy it Where? LIDL/ALDI

BAHLSEN CHOCO FRIENDS

With a wafer interior similar to a cross between say, a brandy snap and a biscuit waffle cone, these chocolate-covered goodies are absurdly addictive and massively addictive.

Buy it where? Polish supermarkets
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

FRIKADELLEN.
Truly, food of the gods.

Holy Crap these things are amazing!!!!

I remember having these as a three year old, this is the first time I've thought of them in about a decade! Please tell me you know where these can be purchased TotoMimo?

Anyways, my unsung food hero are;

Best chicken wings I've ever had, and I eat a lot of chicken wings =P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I'll look out for those, Gofre! Anyway, Lotte Kancho can be found in most Asian supermarkets. "Hello Panda" are more prominent and popular, but Lotte Kancho are far superior. I really recommend them.
Reply 4
For anyone who hasn't tried baklava, go get some. My local "Dars" store sells a variety platter for £1.75. It's like having sex only better.
Reply 5
I second the baklava comment py0alb, although much like sushi, good baklava is smexual, but poor baklava is like mouth-Hiroshima!
Reply 6
Original post by TotoMimo
I second the baklava comment py0alb, although much like sushi, good baklava is smexual, but poor baklava is like mouth-Hiroshima!

mmm. nothing reminds me of sex more than a mounthful of raw fish.

sorry, terrible joke. Good Sashimi is indeed an intensely pleasurable experience. Its a shame its so damn expensive in this country.

BUT... on that note: if you download a voucher all dishes are £2.30 in Yo! Sushi - tonight only.
sauerkraut!
Reply 8
Oh, another one I forgot in my original post which I'll update now:

BAHLSEN CHOCO FRIENDS

With a wafer interior similar to a cross between say, a brandy snap and a biscuit waffle cone, these chocolate-covered goodies are absurdly addictive and massively addictive.

Buy it where? Polish supermarkets
Greek gyros. Where to buy them? Greece I suppose. And certain Greek restaurants. You can make one yourself, but the real Greek ones are the best. :coma:

Reply 10
Peanut squash is also incredible.
Original post by py0alb
mmm. nothing reminds me of sex more than a mounthful of raw fish.

sorry, terrible joke. Good Sashimi is indeed an intensely pleasurable experience. Its a shame its so damn expensive in this country.

BUT... on that note: if you download a voucher all dishes are £2.30 in Yo! Sushi - tonight only.

It's like that all Mondays and all Thursdays throughout April.
Kangaroo and emu steaks. Heaven on earth. In the UK good local butchers sometimes have them or can order them in for you. I've had kangaroo steaks in Walkabout bars too. The best I've eaten were when I was actually in Australia, unsurprisingly, but imported ones here are still pretty good.

PS. I agree about baklava, though I wouldn't say it was particularly obscure. Pretty much every Turkish, Greek or Middle-Eastern cafe or restaurant sells it. I have to say though that the stuff I've had in the UK has generally only been of average quality - surprisingly, the best I've ever tasted was in Auckland. That was absolute perfection.

EDIT: I suppose kangaroo and emu steaks aren't particularly obscure either, actually. But they are quite difficult to find in the UK, unless you go to a Walkabout bar, and even those don't have emu, just kangaroo.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by jimcatinnes
It's like that all Mondays and all Thursdays throughout April.

Oh cool. That's not what it said in the email though.

Cheese Saganki.

Basically, fried Greek cheese with lemon juice. Greek food is so underrated! <3
Original post by py0alb
Oh cool. That's not what it said in the email though.

It did, I just checked it.
This thread is making me hungry! :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by jimcatinnes
It did, I just checked it.

my bad.
Original post by py0alb
Peanut squash is also incredible.

As in a drink?!
Reply 19
Frikadellen :coma:

I was gonna get a takeaway tonight but I'm gonna save money by going to lidl after lectures and getting some of those bad boys. Every bit as tasty.

Latest