The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Anybody find it quite embarrassing when someone asks you where you're going and you have to tell them Oxford? They always seem to judge you after that :frown: I've started telling them my insurance instead! "where have you applied then" "York (and York alone :P...)" Ah dear!
Is anyone thinking of joining the UOTC while there?
Reply 1222
Original post by micky022
Is anyone thinking of joining the UOTC while there?

Yeah, I might do. I was in CCF at school, which was good fun too. Although URNU could also be tempting...

Original post by Helenarems
Anybody find it quite embarrassing when someone asks you where you're going and you have to tell them Oxford? They always seem to judge you after that :frown: I've started telling them my insurance instead! "where have you applied then" "York (and York alone :P...)" Ah dear!

Yeah, I get that when I say I'm going to Oxford. Also when I say Maths & Philosophy, people seem to assume that it's way more hardcore than anything else. :s-smilie:
Original post by Helenarems

Yeah, it feels like I'm boasting, even though they asked (not like I just went "hey, did you know where I'm going for university? Oxford")
Original post by dbmag9

Yeah, I get that when I say I'm going to Oxford. Also when I say Maths & Philosophy, people seem to assume that it's way more hardcore than anything else. :s-smilie:

I get that with maths & computer science too. They always say something like "ah, that sounds really hard!", to which I think "yeah, it'll be tough, but any other degree would surely be tougher for me... my strengths are in maths and computer science, so I'm doing maths and computer science".
Does the university provide any music lessons? I play the piano and the organ, and I'm fine with carrying on without any tuition. But I've read that there are some harpsichords in various colleges and places, which seems like a perfect opportunity for me to learn this instrument. (And I'm lazy. Piano, organ, harpsichord - see the trend?) I've heard of the Oxford University Music Society, but I'm not sure what exactly it does.
Original post by dbmag9
Yeah, I might do. I was in CCF at school, which was good fun too. Although URNU could also be tempting...

I was in the Sea Cadets long ago... but I'm qualified to captain a rowboat :tongue:
Reply 1227
Original post by micky022
I was in the Sea Cadets long ago... but I'm qualified to captain a rowboat :tongue:

Ah, sea cadets and their silly hats...

I'm amused by them illustrating that article with a photo of a student who's clearly from a US university. And Mark Damazer isn't a professor here, although he probably qualifies under the American definition. But yay, cheapness.
Original post by dbmag9
Ah, sea cadets and their silly hats...

I'm amused by them illustrating that article with a photo of a student who's clearly from a US university. And Mark Damazer isn't a professor here, although he probably qualifies under the American definition. But yay, cheapness.

I was never issued my No.1s, leading to an argument with an officer from another unit on a parade who called me a cabbage...
Original post by dbmag9

Haha, yeah I noticed that too - probably a stock photo...
Do you get given work to do in freshers week?
Is it completely dependent on college and or subject?

Ta
Reply 1231
Original post by Sempiternitas
Does the university provide any music lessons? I play the piano and the organ, and I'm fine with carrying on without any tuition. But I've read that there are some harpsichords in various colleges and places, which seems like a perfect opportunity for me to learn this instrument. (And I'm lazy. Piano, organ, harpsichord - see the trend?) I've heard of the Oxford University Music Society, but I'm not sure what exactly it does.

It's a college thing, really, and it's normally only given to music scholars/choral scholars/etc because the college pays for them. I don't really know whether they'd be able to sign you up with the same teacher (if the college has one 'on tap' as it were). I think it would be easier to find someone: for the organ (good to find another organist!) you could ask your organ scholar? I'm sure they'd be delighted, and they'd be cheaper than a full time teacher. An actual muso related to your college will know more about it than I do!
Original post by RupertTheBear

Ta

Some colleges give you collections on holiday work - but this is fairly unusual in your first term! I don't know about sciences but for humanities you will be given your first essay which could very easily be for Monday of 1st week, so you'll need to find some time where you can work if you need it! Again it depends on your college and your tutors, but I would be astounded if you got through freshers' week without any set work. It would be unusual to have a deadline actually in 0th week, but I know some people to whom that happened.
Anyone else from German started their Reading list? I'm such a lazy person - I've had mine for 12 months and I've only read/watched 6 books/films. That's 12 to go! D:
Original post by RupertTheBear

Ta

For chemistry we were set our first tute (which means set the prep work to be handed in before the tutorial, comprising notes and a problem sheet and expected to take about 8 hours to do - but this varies from college to college) on the Thursday of freshers', due in the following Wednesday I think. So naturally I didn't start till the Sunday evening, and regretted it massively!
Reply 1234

Oxford are actually extremely generous when it comes to welfare, more so than any other university I've seen anyway, and if you're at Univ, expect another £1,000 if you get the OOB.
All in all, Oxford rocks.

It should be noted though, that food prices and rent vary from college to college, so it can get quite expensive (relatively) at some colleges, but obviously, not as expensive as it could be.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1235
In physics we were sent work to do along with our welcome pack which we had to hand in at our first meeting in 0th week - I think that's pretty uniform across the colleges (for physics).
Reply 1236
Hiya,

I'm hoping to study English at Lincoln college in September (even though I have an offer, I still talk in the conditional because it doesn't quite feel real yet) and I was wondering what is the reading list like for over the summer? I've found an old reading list from St Peter's, I think, but it's two academic years ago. Will I be expected to have read all of them by October, even if I don't get the list until mid-August? And are we expected to buy it all, then carry it down to Oxford, or is it fine to borrow them from the library when we get there?

Thanks for all the help!!!
:redface:
Original post by barefootfiona
Anyone else from German started their Reading list? I'm such a lazy person - I've had mine for 12 months and I've only read/watched 6 books/films. That's 12 to go! D:

I haven't been sent anything yet :s-smilie: My college said they'll send me the date from which it'll be available soon though, I figure I'll have a lot to do in the summer. I hope it's not double the amount for people with two languages!
Original post by brendan.
Ah right. I'm sure ChCh says that we can have a toaster and a kettle in our rooms because we have no access to cooking facilities. Hmm..

False, but yeah we can have a toaster and kettle
Original post by laeti
In physics we were sent work to do along with our welcome pack which we had to hand in at our first meeting in 0th week - I think that's pretty uniform across the colleges (for physics).

Thanks for that. Did you get that after results day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending