The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends what kind of blindness and how it was acquired.
Original post by Munchies-YumYum

Then how did you deduce that it's subjective?

Because I don't know what bright means to you, and you don't know what it means to me. it could be "bright" to both of us but I might have a slight, slight tint over my eyes, making everything one shade darker. That would effect every color that I see, from black to white.
Original post by Young Spade
Because I don't know what bright means to you, and you don't know what it means to me. it could be "bright" to both of us but I might have a slight, slight tint over my eyes, making everything one shade darker. That would effect every color that I see, from black to white.

I don't know what any word means to you, do we conclude from that, that everything is subjective?
I don't know what any word means to you, do we conclude from that, that everything is subjective?

:smile: Have you read any of Descarte's work? That's where the quote "I think, therefore I am" comes from. In one of his essays he states that there's no way of knowing if anything is real, the only thing we can KNOW for certain is that we exist, because we can think.

Of course you would have to take this as a whole, for the entire "everything", however since we are able to have conversations I can conclude that we do know the meanings of words. Therefore this conversation is objective for the most part.
Reply 24
words themselves may be objective. but i guess in language everyone takes more from it than just the literal meaning?
for example "london" may be "londres" to the french, but can we argue that "london" is actually "paris" to the french?
...if this makes any sense
Original post by Young Spade
:smile: Have you read any of Descarte's work? That's where the quote "I think, therefore I am" comes from. In one of his essays he states that there's no way of knowing if anything is real, the only thing we can KNOW for certain is that we exist, because we can think.

Of course you would have to take this as a whole, for the entire "everything", however since we are able to have conversations I can conclude that we do know the meanings of words. Therefore this conversation is objective for the most part.

Unfortunately, I did not read his works yet. However I have heard about this famous quote. Thank you for enlightening me.

Unfortunately, I did not read his works yet. However I have heard about this famous quote. Thank you for enlightening me.

No problem. Of course it's all up to you to believe it and when first read, a lot of people dismiss it for folishness... but if seriously taken... there's no "reason" as to why it can't be true... which makes it very interesting :smile:

I would tell you the exact name however I dont' remember it; it's in my PHI book but that's across the room somewhere and it's 431am here. But yea man, if you ever get the chance you should definitely read it, should only take you 10 minutes or so.
Reply 27
:s-smilie:Blind or colour blind?
Hey, I've been blind since I was born. Ask me anything!
Reply 29
Well, 'red' isn't an actual property of the ball - red is a property of our experience of the ball. The ball itself reflects light of a wavelength associated with a visual experience that we call seeing red, but there could exist another creature that experiences it as what we call blue, or any other visual sensation. In reality, the ball is an object with purely physical properties, and the nature of one's experience of it will vary according to the apparatus used to facilitate that experience.
Original post by miser
Well, 'red' isn't an actual property of the ball - red is a property of our experience of the ball. The ball itself reflects light of a wavelength associated with a visual experience that we call seeing red, but there could exist another creature that experiences it as what we call blue, or any other visual sensation. In reality, the ball is an object with purely physical properties, and the nature of one's experience of it will vary according to the apparatus used to facilitate that experience.

It's a bumped five year old thread, did I teach you nothing?! :p:
Reply 31
Original post by Democracy
It's a bumped five year old thread, did I teach you nothing?! :p:

On the other hand it seems you're as eagle-eyed as ever! Coming back to the same thread after 5 years. Maybe I'll try a 10 year one next time. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending