The Student Room Group

What London Club should I start supporting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Fulham
Reply 41
When I saw the title I was coming in to say Man United but I see you've already gone that way.

I don't know how you could ever change allegiance, I support Arsenal and Bromley (who tbh have been more sucessful in recent years). If you were still in Biggin Hill I'd suggest Bromley as a second team, dirt cheap season tickets and a nice atmosphere.
Original post by jk1986
When I saw the title I was coming in to say Man United but I see you've already gone that way.

I don't know how you could ever change allegiance, I support Arsenal and Bromley (who tbh have been more sucessful in recent years). If you were still in Biggin Hill I'd suggest Bromley as a second team, dirt cheap season tickets and a nice atmosphere.

I'm guessing you are from the Bromley area then?

Why Arsenal? Although Arsenal have South London roots they are now and have been for a fair while firmly a North London team.

Considering there are a fair few teams in South London (mainly SE London actually) its not as if Arsenal were the closest team.

If you do infact live in/come from South London yet support Arsenal then perhaps you aren't the best person to offer advice or pour scorn on a confused southern Man Utd fan.
Reply 43
Original post by James1977
I'm guessing you are from the Bromley area then?

Why Arsenal? Although Arsenal have South London roots they are now and have been for a fair while firmly a North London team.

Considering there are a fair few teams in South London (mainly SE London actually) its not as if Arsenal were the closest team.

If you do infact live in/come from South London yet support Arsenal then perhaps you aren't the best person to offer advice or pour scorn on a confused southern Man Utd fan.

Mate don't make any presumptions. I was raised in a flat less than 1km from highbury.
Choose the loyal chelsea. If you want a Scottish Team pick Rangers and if you want a Northen Irish you pick Linfield!
Original post by jk1986
Mate don't make any presumptions. I was raised in a flat less than 1km from highbury.

Well to expand on your point then, how did you decide upon Bromley as a 'second team'?
No Manchester United fan is a "proper supporter" because, as you've said, none of them ACTUALLY come from Salford or Manchester! You may as well stick with the majority of glory hunters. Alternatively if you're not into the whole sticking with a club through the good times and bad then support Chelsea :biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by James1977
Well to expand on your point then, how did you decide upon Bromley as a 'second team'?

Ffs I'll give you want a rundown of my life since I didn't follow you're sherlock-like deductions.

I was born in holloway, lived in Caledonian road as a baby then Roman way through childhood, you couldn't grow up in a more arsenal area.

Moved with parents to bromley at age 15 then got involved at that team as well with friends. Bought season tickets at 18 and really enjoyed it, at about 21 was still living near my parents in bromley and me and my dad reached the front of the arsenal season ticket list so didn't renew bromley one. Went to uni at 23 in Birmingham, so I guess by your logic I should probably be following the brummies now then??

I have no problem supporting both because there's no conflict at all. It was always nice how easy and affordable it was to do the bromley games, and I could also go with friends who were chelsea west ham and fulham fans.
Reply 48
Original post by ukr-nffc
This is exactly what's wrong with Modern Football ...

This this and this.

I live south of Croydon and i support Crystal Palace. I have done for years, i go every home match unless im busy etc etc.. I would consider myself a 'supporter' because i do more than watch them on tv once a month.. for example the amount of Tottenham fans who have appeared out of nowhere in my local pub this year is ridiculous.. i wonder why that is... Ive also seen a few Man City shirts, i probably saw one a year before they were rich..

There is a huge line between 'fan' and 'supporter' nowadays but is very easy to figure out which one some people are.
Reply 49
Original post by EggmanD
This this and this.

I live south of Croydon and i support Crystal Palace. I have done for years, i go every home match unless im busy etc etc.. I would consider myself a 'supporter' because i do more than watch them on tv once a month.. for example the amount of Tottenham fans who have appeared out of nowhere in my local pub this year is ridiculous.. i wonder why that is... Ive also seen a few Man City shirts, i probably saw one a year before they were rich..

There is a huge line between 'fan' and 'supporter' nowadays but is very easy to figure out which one some people are.

Fair play to you. I've been following Forest since i was about 7 and have had season tickets in the Prem, Championship (Division1) and League 1. Im currently on Erasmus and have been in London for the 3 years before, so my attendance recently hasn't been the best - i caught the Forest games in and around London whenever they were and went to Orient a few times as i was just missing being at football.

It really annoys me walking around Nottm, whenever i'm back and seeing the usual suspects' shirts knocking around - Sky, prices etc are slowly ruining local loyalties and people are even going as far as calling themselves Barcelona etc 'fans' purely by watching them on TV - utterly ridiculous!

Im still a big believer in supporting your local team - big or small - if you're lucky enough to be from an area which has a successful team, then fair enough - but i have a lot of respect for fans of teams such as Rochdale, Stockport, Orient, Brentford etc who could easily be 'fans' of their bigger neighbours!
Reply 50
Can only echo the last 2 posts. A Cockney who supports Man United ... pass me the bucket!
Reply 51
Fair play to you. I've been following Forest since i was about 7 and have had season tickets in the Prem, Championship (Division1) and League 1. Im currently on Erasmus and have been in London for the 3 years before, so my attendance recently hasn't been the best - i caught the Forest games in and around London whenever they were and went to Orient a few times as i was just missing being at football.

It really annoys me walking around Nottm, whenever i'm back and seeing the usual suspects' shirts knocking around - Sky, prices etc are slowly ruining local loyalties and people are even going as far as calling themselves Barcelona etc 'fans' purely by watching them on TV - utterly ridiculous!

Im still a big believer in supporting your local team - big or small - if you're lucky enough to be from an area which has a successful team, then fair enough - but i have a lot of respect for fans of teams such as Rochdale, Stockport, Orient, Brentford etc who could easily be 'fans' of their bigger neighbours!

Indeed, a few people i know around here who support Arsenal or Chelsea do know more about football in general.. few of my mates are always asking about Palace and seeing who's coming up/going down and they go when they can (afford it) so im not bothered.. its the bandwagon hopers who get in your face i ignore whenever possible or people who put you down as soon as you mention who you support.

Still.. im hoping/was hoping Forest go up along with Leeds and Swansea..Reading are on fire at the moment, i can see them finishing second.. I hope Swansea or Forest go up as i like them alot..

From a Palace fans perspective.. as it is tight at the bottom.. i think we can beat Doncaster, maybe sneak a point at Hull as thier home record isnt too sharp and Forest.. well if it comes to crunch time and you fall short of the playoffs in the next few games it would make our game easier for us :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by EggmanD
Indeed, a few people i know around here who support Arsenal or Chelsea do know more about football in general.. few of my mates are always asking about Palace and seeing who's coming up/going down and they go when they can (afford it) so im not bothered.. its the bandwagon hopers who get in your face i ignore whenever possible or people who put you down as soon as you mention who you support.

Still.. im hoping/was hoping Forest go up along with Leeds and Swansea..Reading are on fire at the moment, i can see them finishing second.. I hope Swansea or Forest go up as i like them alot..

From a Palace fans perspective.. as it is tight at the bottom.. i think we can beat Doncaster, maybe sneak a point at Hull as thier home record isnt too sharp and Forest.. well if it comes to crunch time and you fall short of the playoffs in the next few games it would make our game easier for us :tongue:

I appreciate we're talking in generalisations here and there probably are 'glory hunters' with encyclopaedic football knowledge. Whilst we're on the topic, i used to be a fan of 606 - but it really grinds my gears when you have, for example, "x from Lewisham - I want to talk about the Liverpool game, i'm a massive fan" did you go to the game? "no, i listened on 5live" :facepalm2:

Im hoping we're going to make the playoffs, but it looks like it would be at the expense of leeds, if it were to happen. I hope we'll be in a better position when we play you, though i'm not looking forward to playing Scunny on the last day of the season - a bit of a bogey team for us + they look ****-hot at the moment.

I reckon Reading might sneak automatic, i kind of hope they do, as i would rather face Swans or Cardiff in the playoffs - Swans are hitting a rough patch of form and we've turned Cardiff over twice this season.

Good luck with staying up though, went to Palace last season - friendly bunch, got a lot of time for Palace fans.

I agree with the sentiment of that, but I kind of have a problem with it too.
I mean where do you stop?
There are so many small teams, that unless you support a tiny sunday league team you can be shouted down for "not supporting your local team".

Should I be supporting Ton Pentre AFC instead of Cardiff City?
Should someone in Bath be supporting Odd Down FC rather than Bath FC?
Should bristol fans be supporting Brislington F.C. etc etc.

As I said, I agree with the general idea and sentiment of supporting your local club. But it shouldn't be someone that you look down on people for not doing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by WelshBluebird
I agree with the sentiment of that, but I kind of have a problem with it too.
I mean where do you stop?
There are so many small teams, that unless you support a tiny sunday league team you can be shouted down for "not supporting your local team".

Should I be supporting Ton Pentre AFC instead of Cardiff City?
Should someone in Bath be supporting Odd Down FC rather than Bath FC?
Should bristol fans be supporting Brislington F.C. etc etc.

As I said, I agree with the general idea and sentiment of supporting your local club. But it shouldn't be someone that you look down on people for not doing.

I suppose the limit would be "nearest league team" though i'd say many non-league/semi-pro outfits rely, somewhat, on the fans of other, bigger (for want of a better word) clubs nearby.

I suppose i agree with your last sentence to a certain extent - whilst you can appreciate another teams ability/style of play, i would doubt that you could call yourself a fan of that team in the truest sense of the word (going to games etc ...)
Reply 55
QPR anyone?! They're a London club too.
Original post by edd360
Football is just a game lads. It's actually not important to life, and changing which team you support is hardly like changing your religion or getting plastic surgery to change your boobs.

Arsenal.

You clearly don't understand football properly.
Reply 57
Original post by thecookiemonster

What this person said. ^^
Reply 58
Original post by thecookiemonster

No I really don't, I just wasted my whole of yesterday watching bolton get twatted 5-0 by stoke, you wanna explain that ****?
Reply 59
Queens Park Rangers

Quick Reply

Latest