The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is the new windows phone any good? :h:
Android is still better isn't it?
Original post by Mad Vlad

:facepalm: Serious?

[EDIT] Ok... but it's still become very bloated.

Yeah. I'm waiting for Amazon's Cloud Music to launch here
Original post by G8D
I still like Winamp... It doesn't seem bloated to me :s-smilie:

It's become very sluggish on my OSF. :erm:
Original post by mikeyd85

Original post by mikeyd85
Pah. We don't need that either. Lets face it, for smart phones, anything less than 3G is completely useless. Too little bandwidth, too much data.

We had to start somewhere correct? That's that's like, in two years, asking why we would even make a phone with a 25nm chip and then put two of them in there? That's so much space, anything larger than 5nm and less than 6 of them is useless.

Original post by G8D
I still like Winamp... It doesn't seem bloated to me :s-smilie:

I loved the idea of wireless syncing when it came out, however the lack of an equalizer (on my version anyway) killed it for me.

Have you tried Poweramp? ( Think that's the name, the blue circle with a play logo inside is the logo).
Original post by G8D
What am I reading?

I quoted you talking about the lack of GPRS and Edge networks; you stated that they're worthless to smartphones now. I was just stating that we had to start from somewhere; because their useless now doesn't really mean they aren't justified.
I look forward to the day when I can listen to music, be playing a game and text somone back all at the same time
Reply 4707
I might have to flash CM7 on my dad's OSF :sexface:

Original post by wizard710
Yeah. I'm waiting for Amazon's Cloud Music to launch here

Same, although I'm not sure how long that's going to be.

In other news, I can't for the life of me get my hands on a ASUS Eee Pad, this is what happens when they give something like this to Comet and the DSGi group to sell. I've asked so many of their stores and they're totally clueless. :colonhash: Played around on a Xoom though and Honeycomb is pretty lush.
If anyone's got a Defy, this CM7 port development has moved insanely quickly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1033654

Haven't tried it yet though, since this is my primary phone and I kind of cant risk bricking it (and theres exams to study for too...) -_-

Original post by G8D
Are you still on a Hero?

Yeah :frown:
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
If anyone's got a Defy, this CM7 port development has moved insanely quickly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1033654

Haven't tried it yet though, since this is my primary phone and I kind of cant risk bricking it (and theres exams to study for too...) -_-

I'm on the Defy as well, was really excited to see that :biggrin: It's not fully functional yet though, so I'll probably wait for that. I'm still on 2.1 anyway so there's always the official 2.2 to come out and try :tongue:
Original post by LetoKynes
I'm on the Defy as well, was really excited to see that :biggrin: It's not fully functional yet though, so I'll probably wait for that. I'm still on 2.1 anyway so there's always the official 2.2 to come out and try :tongue:

Yeah, I havn't had the time to mess around with roms, so I just kept the stock one and overclocked it.

When the hell is this 2.2 update supposed to be available? They say Q2, but knowing Motorola, its going to be sometime in June :angry:
Original post by G8D
June is still in Q2 :bubbles:

Yep, but im betting we'll get it on the very last day of the quarter, just like the droid x.
What is it that iPhone apps have over Android apps? I keep hearing all over the place that iPhone app market is better, but I have never been entirely certain in what way. I have been told that the iPhone has better games, which is fair enough, but aside from them what advantages does it really have? I sometimes can't help but feel it's one of those things that people say without actually knowing whether it's true or anything about it.
Original post by Bobifier
What is it that iPhone apps have over Android apps? I keep hearing all over the place that iPhone app market is better, but I have never been entirely certain in what way. I have been told that the iPhone has better games, which is fair enough, but aside from them what advantages does it really have? I sometimes can't help but feel it's one of those things that people say without actually knowing whether it's true or anything about it.

Companies in general will make an app for iPhones before Android (for example Cyanide and Happiness has an iPhone App, but not an Android App)
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
Yeah, I havn't had the time to mess around with roms, so I just kept the stock one and overclocked it.

When the hell is this 2.2 update supposed to be available? They say Q2, but knowing Motorola, its going to be sometime in June :angry:

Exactly the same thing I've done!

I'm getting impatient as well but I guess it's good to know that it'll eventually come. I believe they've started releasing it in other parts of the EU.

Original post by Bobifier

If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone AppStore has a much stricter quality control scheme.. so you get less "dysfunctional" apps if that makes sense? :s-smilie: That's not to say that there aren't quality apps for Android though :biggrin:
Reply 4716
x

Do you have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 OSF? I tried flashing CM7 only to get an error everytime I try...I'm thinking it might be down to the different generations. :K:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Companies in general will make an app for iPhones before Android (for example Cyanide and Happiness has an iPhone App, but not an Android App)

This is true, though gradually I see it changing. For example, even Nectar (card / offers) has an Android app now.
Original post by alex_hk90
This is true, though gradually I see it changing. For example, even Nectar (card / offers) has an Android app now.

Oh yeah, it'll definitely change. After all, Android is now outselling iOS so companies will shift to making both apps.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Oh yeah, it'll definitely change. After all, Android is now outselling iOS so companies will shift to making both apps.

Except iPhone customers tend to happily pull out a few quid for an app vs android users who don't. They spend a heck of a lot more and they have gazillions of accessories.

Android has the issue of maintaining quality and compatibility across a range of specced devices. So on the whole imo the apps on iOS run better as they are optimised. But there are a load of functional apps you wont see on iOS, like recently when I was looking for a text message based app to bring my phone out of silent mode so I can find it. This isn't possible on iOS as it's locked. There lots of other quirky apps which are really useful on Android.

Latest

Trending

Trending