The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phalanges
Oh no, I meant that I just find the whole premise of Pokemon weird now. :p: Full drunk was a one-off occurrence, I have since fitted my computer with a breathalyser to save the embarrassment. :p:

I really enjoyed the tale of Eddie Dean, found it so involving. Then I didn't like the whole thing on the beach in between and didn't really want to invest in a completely new character (it doesn't feel particularly well connected) but it surprised me just how much I'm interested in Odetta's story (even though I kept getting angry every time she was referred to as schizophrenic). I'm just at the stage now where she's gone back to the beach.

The more I read the more I'm convinced you need a director who is capable of mastering many different genres. It should so be Peter Weir directing these films.

And yeah, I ordered them all the day before, got them all sitting in my room now. :p: Along with a film book that came today.

I've never understood that. There's that popular misconception about schizophrenia but I would have thought King would have conducted some simple research into mental conditions and drawn up a distinction between that and multiple personality disorder/dissociative identity disorder.

Original post by lukejoshjedi
quite a few funny Inception parody trailers knocking about on youtube - The Contraception one, The Dora the explorer Inception one :biggrin:

So who's gonna see Scream 4 this weekend?

The Contraception one is hilarious.
Reply 1121
The Rocky Horror Picture Show... Words cannot describe...
Scream 4 is ok - I almost have nothing more to expand on from that unless I give a mini-review, but yeah

Haven't seen a good comedy film in a while.... Your Highness will have to do :|
Stray_talk
ignored. :colonhash:

Sorry about that in the other thread! Was switching between several websites, quotes and forums. And thanks for what you said. :h:

Original post by cambo211
I don't think it was a failure, we had a lot of competition on TV tonight and it was quite quickly put together. With a bit more planning and a little bit of spreading the link around some other threads (:ninja:) it could be successful.

Scratch that, looking back we got some good discussion off the bat (40 posts between 3 or 4 members), so not entirely bad for a trial run. Wonder if things will be better with Fight Club and No Country For Old Men next week, wonder which one to opt for.

Most people promising they would turn up. Liars I say! (or out having fun on a Saturday night).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Sorry about that in the other thread! Was switching between several websites, quotes and forums. And thanks for what you said. :h:

Ah tis ok, I realise it was a little fangirl-like.
Reply 1125
Original post by True Ace
The Rocky Horror Picture Show... Words cannot describe...

First film I ever remember watching. My mum decided I was ready for it at about 4 years old! :awesome:
I'll do next week if I can...it all usually depends if I have access to a television or not!
Shaun of the Dead in 60 seconds (in the style of Scott Pilgrim)

I finally got around seeing Avatar...yesterday :teehee:

I've never understood that. There's that popular misconception about schizophrenia but I would have thought King would have conducted some simple research into mental conditions and drawn up a distinction between that and multiple personality disorder/dissociative identity disorder.

I thought that maybe he was using it to try and reflect the way the term was used in the 50s/60s, but I think that I might be going a bit too far to try and justify it.
Shaun of the Dead in 60 seconds (in the style of Scott Pilgrim)

Haha that's brilliant!

Speaking of Shaun of the Dead, I saw this trailer when I went to see Source Code. Cracks me up :biggrin:

It's time for what I like to call 'pruning'. Does anybody here (if you have the time) think that certain films should not be listed as 'recommendations' on the list. I'm trying to lower the number of low quality recommendations. So if anyone can spot some really bad ones, it would be appreciated.

Also, need someone to fill out the best cinema releases for March (and April) 2011.

I thought that maybe he was using it to try and reflect the way the term was used in the 50s/60s, but I think that I might be going a bit too far to try and justify it.

On a related note, currently looking at another King novel, Under The Dome. It has a very interesting, and familiar, premise. I know I shouldn't be distracting you from Dark Tower, but intriguing...

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mills, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away.

Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens—town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing—even murder—to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out.
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Haha that's brilliant!

Speaking of Shaun of the Dead, I saw this trailer when I went to see Source Code. Cracks me up :biggrin:

[Attack the Block]

That looks really good. Remember reading a story about whether they would have subtitles for the American audience. :teehee:

And it has been getting good reviews. :holmes:

Original post by MizzCupcakes
I finally got around seeing Avatar...yesterday :teehee:

How was it? Shame you never got quite the same experience of seeing it in 3D in the cinema.
Reply 1133

I think in the fantasy setting that he literally meant that there was another person inside of her not just another personality. When Mia takes over she spontaneously has legs, that's not just a personality switch.
Reply 1134
Watched A Room With A View last night.

Judi Dench was criminally underused and Maggie Smith was great. But Helena Bonham Carter was as wooden as my bedroom door and the film was as clunky as hell!
I've watched two films today

Sin Nombre- a spanish language film set in central america. This film was really exciting, its really good if you like gang films imo. I don't usually watch foreign films but I was feeling a bit adventurous today

10 items or less- staring Morgan Freeman and Paz Vega. These two worked really well together, there was great chemistry. Its a happy film I think, nothing to serious and there are quite a few laughs in it.

I will try and watch more films later when I finish revising :biggrin:
Nicholas Cage got arrested for drunken domestic abuse the other day.... why can I see him starring in an anti-cop / authority film soon

Also want to watch Apocalypto, never got around to that
Reply 1137
An article that draws some interesting parallels between Brad Pitt and Sean Penn: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/apr/17/sean-penn-brad-pitt
Watched Badlands the other day. Badlands is great. Gonna watch all the Malick films in order, I think. :holmes:
Original post by Lewroll

I will try and watch more films later when I finish revising :biggrin:

How do you find the willpower to revise? :zomg: Been procrastinating since morning. :emo:

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Also want to watch Apocalypto, never got around to that

It's a good film. Seems to get a lot of hate. Much, much better than the trash that was 10,000 BC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending