The Student Room Group

The Great Mooncup Thread / FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LostHorizons
Tampons would probably be easier than a mooncup initially, yes. Even after years of using tampons a lot of people find mooncups quite tricky to insert at first, so you're probably finding it much more difficult. If you still want to use your mooncp eventually, you should perhaps try using tampons for a few months until you're used to that, then try with the mooncup again :smile:

Cool thanks. I thought there was something wrong lol.

What brand would you recommend for beginners?
Original post by Anonymous
Cool thanks. I thought there was something wrong lol.

What brand would you recommend for beginners?

I don't think the brand really makes any difference, but you should start off by using tampons with an applicator, as they're generally easier to insert. I'd also recommend starting off by using smaller tampons i.e. ones with a lower level of absorbency, and just try your best to relax while you're doing it :smile: Getting nervous and tensing your muscles will make it much more difficult!
I really can't fathom why some people think they are disgusting :s-smilie: I saw a conversation on one of my friend's fb walls (not sure why) where they were making fun of Mooncups; apparently they are 'so so wrong' and 'shocking' and my friend would move out if she was living with somebody who used one (little does she know I use one :colone:).

To me they seem really clean, and tampons and pads are 'shocking' to me now. But even before I started using the mooncup it didn't seem that dirty... any mooncup haters out there explain to me what's so bad about them?

Anon cos my friend uses TSR I think :ninja:
Reply 763

I really can't fathom why some people think they are disgusting :s-smilie: I saw a conversation on one of my friend's fb walls (not sure why) where they were making fun of Mooncups; apparently they are 'so so wrong' and 'shocking' and my friend would move out if she was living with somebody who used one (little does she know I use one :colone:).

To me they seem really clean, and tampons and pads are 'shocking' to me now. But even before I started using the mooncup it didn't seem that dirty... any mooncup haters out there explain to me what's so bad about them?

Anon cos my friend uses TSR I think :ninja:

A lot of people think anything to do with periods is disgusting. So if it's not marketed with "have a happy period" it's wrong.

Also years ago women used to have to use reusable stuff, as it wasn't possible to get anything disposable. So when stick-on disposables came in it was seen as a huge step forward. Therefore going back to a mooncup or washable sanitary towels (as some people do, although I realise this thread isn't really about those) can be seen as going back to the dark ages.

BTW I'm a menstrual cup user, although I use a MeLuna not a Mooncup. I'm just saying what I've heard from others.
Well I brought a mooncup as I thought they looked quite intresting, I used it while being a virgin and a previous tampon user and seriously the pain!!! I had to remove it immediately, I used it for the first time while not on my period and I thought It could be practice, I actually bleed after using it and since havent used it again :s-smilie:

bit scared of the thing now lol!
Reply 765

Well I brought a mooncup as I thought they looked quite intresting, I used it while being a virgin and a previous tampon user and seriously the pain!!! I had to remove it immediately, I used it for the first time while not on my period and I thought It could be practice, I actually bleed after using it and since havent used it again :s-smilie:

bit scared of the thing now lol!

You might benefit from something like a MeLuna as they're smaller. A lot of people seem to think a Mooncup is the only menstrual cup but this isn't true. Some people say they don't like tampons but they've only tried Tampax and their stupid lengthways expansion.

This page compares the diameter of all the brands they sell and also has info on length. You'll see Mooncup has one of the largest diameters and is also one of the longest. However, a smaller cup will hold less so may not be suitable if you're particularly heavy as you'll need to empty it more.
Does the cup make anybody else sore? When I wear it, there's a dull ache near my cervix; it feels a bit like it does when my bf goes too deep. I don't think I have the cup in too far though :s-smilie:
Does the cup make anybody else sore? When I wear it, there's a dull ache near my cervix; it feels a bit like it does when my bf goes too deep. I don't think I have the cup in too far though :s-smilie:

I sometimes find that when I insert it I create a bit of a vacuum in my vagina (how charmingly graphic!), and this can hurt and feel quite uncomfortable, so I don't know if that's what you're experiencing. To fix it, I just pull my mooncup a little bit further down until I feel the suction release, and then it's fine :smile:
Original post by LostHorizons
I sometimes find that when I insert it I create a bit of a vacuum in my vagina (how charmingly graphic!), and this can hurt and feel quite uncomfortable, so I don't know if that's what you're experiencing. To fix it, I just pull my mooncup a little bit further down until I feel the suction release, and then it's fine :smile:

I tried that, it doesn't help :/ Oh well it's not too bad anyway :smile:

Erm, also, does anybody else have to take the mooncup out when they poo? It comes halfway out otherwise, and I'm scared it'll fall in the toilet! It's pretty annoying as when I have my period I poo a lot more, especially when I have cramps (I guess the muscles are... constricting... stuff down there). I don't want to fiddle with a mooncup all the time when I'm in that much pain!
I think I'm weird anyway, often sex just makes it feel like I need a **** (yes we are in the right hole :rolleyes:).

Erm, also, does anybody else have to take the mooncup out when they poo? It comes halfway out otherwise, and I'm scared it'll fall in the toilet! It's pretty annoying as when I have my period I poo a lot more, especially when I have cramps (I guess the muscles are... constricting... stuff down there). I don't want to fiddle with a mooncup all the time when I'm in that much pain!
I think I'm weird anyway, often sex just makes it feel like I need a **** (yes we are in the right hole :rolleyes:).

In conclusion, this question is TMI even for the Mooncup thread... :getmecoat:

I have had this problem once or twice, but definitely not every time.

And the last sentence sounds...very odd :eek:

And the last sentence sounds...very odd :eek:

I just mean that at certain angles, his penis must be putting pressure on my bowels or something because it gives me the feeling I need a ****.. I guess everything is very close down there :P Still feel like a freak though (but a quick Google search shows I'm not the only one... hmm).

Anyway, back to mooncupping... has anybody ever tried oral sex with one in? My bf is put off by the idea, even I'm just as clean as normal; he won't even touch me down there with his fingers :sad:
I've never heard of the Mooncup, but I use something called the Diva cup, which sounds like it's pretty much the same thing. I've been using the Diva up for years, and it's been awesome. Although, last year I was in India, and I was on my period, and I had to empty the cup, but the only place to go was a trough that you shared with a bunch of ladies. So I emptied the cup, and the lady next to me looked like she was going to have a heart attack. lol. I had to show her the cup and try to explain with my very limited Tamil, that I had not just murdered someone.
Ugh using the mooncup in uni halls is horrible (fortunately this is the only period I will have there using the mooncup, moving out in a few weeks :biggrin:). The bathroom in my halls is like a public bathroom, with two cubicles for toilets and 2 shower cubicles, and a separate sink. This means I have to take a bottle in with me every time I want to change my mooncup, and clean it using toilet paper and the water bottle, which is such a faff in a tiny cubicle. I can't exactly go out to the sink to clean it in case somebody walks in on me (and it could be a guy!!). :sad:

Ugh using the mooncup in uni halls is horrible (fortunately this is the only period I will have there using the mooncup, moving out in a few weeks :biggrin:). The bathroom in my halls is like a public bathroom, with two cubicles for toilets and 2 shower cubicles, and a separate sink. This means I have to take a bottle in with me every time I want to change my mooncup, and clean it using toilet paper and the water bottle, which is such a faff in a tiny cubicle. I can't exactly go out to the sink to clean it in case somebody walks in on me (and it could be a guy!!). :sad:

This may sound horrid, but I used the sink in my room to wash it out... did it once a day, just wasn't comfortable wearing it longer than that without it being washed out properly!
Original post by Teao the Cat
This may sound horrid, but I used the sink in my room to wash it out... did it once a day, just wasn't comfortable wearing it longer than that without it being washed out properly!

I have a room mate, and she's there most of the time now cos she has exams! Oh well...
sorry if that question has been answered before but... how can you actually go running with it? i am not worried about the mooncup coming out - but what about the liquid in it? will it not easily come over the edge if you move up and down a lot (like in running)?
sorry if that question has been answered before but... how can you actually go running with it? i am not worried about the mooncup coming out - but what about the liquid in it? will it not easily come over the edge if you move up and down a lot (like in running)?

Running with it in is fine. The cup fits very snugly, there isn't a gap around the edge for anything to seep out.
So I think the problem I'm having is I can't get it to go "down" far enough to avoid scraping the CRAP out of my cervix, and it doesn't completely encase it. Twice now I've gotten it to stick behind my pelvic bone so it isn't popping out every time I move, but it's uncomfortable inside - far from unnoticeable.

I get so tired of having to adjust it so it'll stay in after going to the bathroom, etc, I kinda wedge it far in there.. so when I go to take it out, it feels like my vag is being ripped inside out lol. Alot of tugging/pulling/ouchie sensation.

It doesn't really leak, so I know I have to be doing SOMETHING right.. but I can feel it in there even if it isn't altogether painful. And it's bothersome when I lay down or have to sit upright in a computer chair.
Reply 779

So I think the problem I'm having is I can't get it to go "down" far enough to avoid scraping the CRAP out of my cervix, and it doesn't completely encase it. Twice now I've gotten it to stick behind my pelvic bone so it isn't popping out every time I move, but it's uncomfortable inside - far from unnoticeable.

I get so tired of having to adjust it so it'll stay in after going to the bathroom, etc, I kinda wedge it far in there.. so when I go to take it out, it feels like my vag is being ripped inside out lol. Alot of tugging/pulling/ouchie sensation.

It doesn't really leak, so I know I have to be doing SOMETHING right.. but I can feel it in there even if it isn't altogether painful. And it's bothersome when I lay down or have to sit upright in a computer chair.

It might be that it's the wrong cup for you. There are other menstrual cups - it's not just limited to the Mooncup! I use a MeLuna as the Mooncup is too long for me, but it sounds as though your problem might be the diameter, or maybe the length as it's getting pushed up. Anyway, you can see information here that compares some different cup brands.

Quick Reply

Latest