Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Offers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by Zottula
Yeah, I am cheeky.

I've had a few looks at the accommodation. I definitely do not want single accommodation anyway. I can't afford it at all, and at my last uni I always had sleep overs in my housemate's room anyway. It's a good way to get to know someone new quickly. I'm defo gonna apply for a triple. By the sounds of things not many people are keen on the idea, so hopefully will get it. I can't afford much else as I'm a bit strapped for cash due to dropping out of uni, job issues etc.

(Mmmmm fruit smoothies.)

I think I'm going to cap my accommodation spend per week to just over 100-120 squids, so yes, Garden (OOOH THE TRIPLES! PWETTY) would be the best savings-wise - but a twin at Eastside/Southside (mega pwetty too!) wouldn't be shabby either, and I'm also considering Beit and Pembridge (with the latter I get to be like "I live at Notting Hill Gate, it's so trendy daaaaaahling" XD)

Also, have you heard of the quirkily-named G&W cafe called Bonkies, on the ground floor of Weeks? I'm not sure how good it is, but it sounds kinda charming :tongue:

Bernard Sunley also has triples too, though it's in the Evelyn Gardens :/ Then again, the fact we'd have to walk everyday would be a plus... :wink:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 881
Original post by arianex
*snickersnicker*

Been poring over more pages and shots of Impy accomodation. Looks like a single room is out of the question, 'specially at Eastside and Southside...but meh, not bothered. Also, the idea of a triple at Garden isn't bad either (my ideal would be Selkirk due to the fact IT'S GOT THE FRICKIN BABY GRAND PIANO :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:)

(You can tell that I should lay off the fruit smoothies. :tongue:)

Oh oh. No more buttered scones for me mate, I am off to play the grand piano. :tongue:

But seriously now, apart from the Blyth Centre, are there any other piano practice rooms? I remember seeing one in Beit Hall during the open day, but I think it was in the common room, so realistically practicing there is out of the question, I guess.

Original post by Zottula
Yeah, I am cheeky.

I've had a few looks at the accommodation. I definitely do not want single accommodation anyway. I can't afford it at all, and at my last uni I always had sleep overs in my housemate's room anyway. It's a good way to get to know someone new quickly. I'm defo gonna apply for a triple. By the sounds of things not many people are keen on the idea, so hopefully will get it. I can't afford much else as I'm a bit strapped for cash due to dropping out of uni, job issues etc.

(Mmmmm fruit smoothies.)

Actually, all the students we asked about doubles/triples when I went to the open day told to us that applying for a triple is essentially a gamble, as almost everyone wanted to apply there :biggrin:. You shoudn't really consider TSR a representative demographic when taking these decisions. :redface:

As for me, I wish I could apply for twins/triples, but it looks I'll have to stay in a single and take out a loan. Not that I woudn't have needed it anyway, but it sucks being unable to spend less on accomodation. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 882
Original post by alexmsf
Oh oh. No more buttered scones for me mate, I am off to play the grand piano. :tongue:

But seriously now, apart from the Blyth Centre, are there any other piano practice rooms? I remember seeing one in Beit Hall during the open day, but I think it was in the common room, so realistically practicing there is out of the question, I guess.

Meh, if I'm not wrong, most of the halls that have pianos tend to put them in the common rooms/social areas, so derp :/

Actually, all the students we asked about doubles/triples when I went to the open day told to us that applying for a triple is essentially a gamble, as almost everyone wanted to apply there :biggrin:. You shoudn't really consider TSR a representative demographic when taking these decisions. :redface:

As for me, I wish I could apply for twins/triples, but it looks I'll have to stay in a single and take out a loan. Not that I woudn't have needed it anyway, but it sucks being unable to spend less on accomodation. :frown:

Why, are you <18 when we start? :/
Reply 883
Original post by arianex
I think I'm going to cap my accommodation spend per week to just over 100-120 squids, so yes, Garden (OOOH THE TRIPLES! PWETTY) would be the best savings-wise - but a twin at Eastside/Southside (mega pwetty too!) wouldn't be shabby either, and I'm also considering Beit and Pembridge (with the latter I get to be like &quot;I live at Notting Hill Gate, it's so trendy daaaaaahling&quot; XD)

Also, have you heard of the quirkily-named G&amp;W cafe called Bonkies, on the ground floor of Weeks? I'm not sure how good it is, but it sounds kinda charming :tongue:

Bernard Sunley also has triples too, though it's in the Evelyn Gardens :/ Then again, the fact we'd have to walk everyday would be a plus... :wink:

Bernard Sunley...? Haven't heard of that. I was looking at Fisher hall which is in Evelyn Gardens I think. It's cheap and cheerful there. So yeah, all good :smile:.

I have heard of this Bonkies cafe, but it doesn't look that great, but I guess it's probably nice to have in halls.

Original post by alexmsf

Damnit. I really want a triple. I genuinely can't afford anything more expensive than that. I guess TSR isn't very representative at all, but all of my friends going to other unis are horrified at the though of having to share. Ah well. I'm not too bothered which halls I end up in, so long as I get one of the cheaper rooms.

Why do you have to go for a single? Are you under 18 then?

Do you think I'll get priority because I'm an unconditional offer holder? I know at my previous uni they gave unconditional offer holders priority.
Weeks and Fisher single rooms are like my new babies :cool: And a twin at Eastside is my second baby :cool:

Please dudes, apply for some other rooms so a Weeks single is left free for me :puppyeyes:
Reply 885
Original post by nikita_atikin
Weeks and Fisher single rooms are like my new babies :cool: And a twin at Eastside is my second baby :cool:

Please dudes, apply for some other rooms so a Weeks single is left free for me :puppyeyes:

The good news is that you won't be in competition with me.

That would be terrible, wouldn't it?

Spoiler

Reply 886
Original post by arianex

Why, are you <18 when we start? :/

Original post by Zottula

Why do you have to go for a single? Are you under 18 then?

Yes, unfortunately.

Anyway, I am mainly looking at anything <120 pounds per week, so I am really left with: (in order of preference)

Fisher (Evelyn Gardens)
Pembridge
Wilson House
Parsons
Boathouse

Boathouse seems a little bit too far away to be honest.

May apply to Weeks or Garden instead, though 130-140 pounts per week is already pushing it. :tongue:

EDIT: Just realized the dilation mistake. My bad. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 887
Original post by alexmsf
Yes, unfortunately.

Anyway, I am mainly looking at anything &lt;120 pounds per week, so I am really left with: (in order of preference)

Fisher (Evelyn Gardens)
Pembridge
Wilson House
Parsons
Boathouse

Boathouse seems a little bit too far away to be honest.

May apply to Weeks or Garden instead, though 130-140 pounts per week is already pushing it. :tongue:

EDIT: Just realized the dilation mistake. My bad. :biggrin:

Aaah well.

I'm looking at around the £80 mark or less. But because I am old enough I can go for the cheaper shared rooms :smile:.

I'm looking at the triple rooms, so that means Garden, Fisher and Bernard Sunley Hall. Then my final two choices will be twin rooms. Haven't decided what to put for those two yet though.

Boathouse may seem far, but the following year you probably won't live anywhere near the university anyway.
Reply 888
Original post by bluesky42
Is that Physics as well? Yeah all the other Physics offers I know about are 40, I think I got lucky. But we still have a couple of weeks - don't lose hope!!!

Although I do sympathise with your Maths HL pain :hugs: I'm dying under series and differential equations revision :frown:

No that's for EEE. I am planning on doing an exam a day, maybe that will help. :frown:
Original post by dsds1000
No that's for EEE. I am planning on doing an exam a day, maybe that will help. :frown:

I assume you mean revise an exam a day???

I would do that, but I get bored too easily :tongue: so it's five subjects a day for me. (Yeah I'm pretending that my sixth subject doesn't exist)
Reply 890
I'm a second year medic from a different uni, got an offer yesterday for the intercalated BSc in Immunity and Infection 2011. Really excited :biggrin:

Imperial halls are really expensive! It's gonna have to be a 45 minute commute for me...still, not complaining!
Reply 891
Original post by medikitty
I'm a second year medic from a different uni, got an offer yesterday for the intercalated BSc in Immunity and Infection 2011. Really excited :biggrin:

Imperial halls are really expensive! It's gonna have to be a 45 minute commute for me...still, not complaining!

I hear medics from other unis rarely get accommodation, but well done on the offer :biggrin: Which medical school are you from? And what are you intercalating in?

I should be going to Imperial for medicine this October! =D
Reply 892
Did you guys get the accomodation details already?
I'd think the £100 single rooms to be the most popular... none of my friends seem want to share, yet want it cheap as possible
Reply 893
Original post by Dark-Myth
Did you guys get the accomodation details already?
I'd think the £100 single rooms to be the most popular... none of my friends seem want to share, yet want it cheap as possible

Don't think anyone has received anything yet. We've mostly been using the website or the booklets some people get at interview/open days.

Quite likely that the more basic single rooms are most popular. Most of my friends seem pretty horrified by the idea of sharing a room. Doesn't bother me.
Reply 894
Original post by Zottula
Don't think anyone has received anything yet. We've mostly been using the website or the booklets some people get at interview/open days.

Quite likely that the more basic single rooms are most popular. Most of my friends seem pretty horrified by the idea of sharing a room. Doesn't bother me.

Well... thing is I'd prefer not to share, because it means you can't get disturbed by room mates coming back late when you don't want to share, or their music tastes etc etc.

But if it comes down to it because of the lack of funds, I won't mind sharing. I generally find I can get on with pretty much everyone :smile:

Basically, it's a question of whether I can earn £3000 this summer. Mum isn't paying for any of my stuff for uni (or thats what she says...)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 895
Well... thing is I'd prefer not to share, because it means you can't get disturbed by room mates coming back late when you don't want to share, or their music tastes etc etc.

But if it comes down to it because of the lack of funds, I won't mind sharing. I generally find I can get on with pretty much everyone :smile:

Basically, it's a question of whether I can earn £3000 this summer. Mum isn't paying for any of my stuff for uni (or thats what she says...)

Well you could always apply to the cheaper single rooms and perhaps look for the further out accommodation which is less popular? You may be one of the lucky people that gets a single. If not, at least you tried, you'll save some cash and I'm sure you'll get used to sharing. It would only be for a max of 38 weeks anyways.

Yeah, my parents aren't paying anything for uni either (not complaining though as they are supporting me in my year off after dropping out of university). So I'm also looking cheap. I think though I would actually prefer the company of sharing a room. I'm not worried about being disturbed by room mates coming back late at night as I wear ear plugs :smile:.
Reply 896
Original post by Zottula
Well you could always apply to the cheaper single rooms and perhaps look for the further out accommodation which is less popular? You may be one of the lucky people that gets a single. If not, at least you tried, you'll save some cash and I'm sure you'll get used to sharing. It would only be for a max of 38 weeks anyways.

Yeah, my parents aren't paying anything for uni either (not complaining though as they are supporting me in my year off after dropping out of university). So I'm also looking cheap. I think though I would actually prefer the company of sharing a room. I'm not worried about being disturbed by room mates coming back late at night as I wear ear plugs :smile:.

You dropped out? how come?

tbh, I'm just gonna go with it like you said, if I get it then fine, if not, more money for teh parties and nights out ;p Like you said, good company might be worth the sharing. But it is a gamble. What if you end up sharing with a guy who absolutes playing death metal at full volume? :wink:

Altho tbh, as a EEE student, I doubt that will work out very well in my first 2 years (the booze, party and nights out bit) xD
You dropped out? how come?

tbh, I'm just gonna go with it like you said, if I get it then fine, if not, more money for teh parties and nights out ;p Like you said, good company might be worth the sharing. But it is a gamble. What if you end up sharing with a guy who absolutes playing death metal at full volume? :wink:

Altho tbh, as a EEE student, I doubt that will work out very well in my first 2 years (the booze, party and nights out bit) xD

Shared rooms are only single sex rooms. :smile:
Think about it, if the shared rooms were mixed-sex then no one would want a single room. And triple rooms would be in high demand :perv:
Reply 898
Original post by nikita_atikin
Shared rooms are only single sex rooms. :smile:
Think about it, if the shared rooms were mixed-sex then no one would want a single room. And triple rooms would be in high demand :perv:

AWWWWW damn :wink:

The imperial females:males is 3:5? So I think it's the high demand from the girls? which would mean not so high demand afterall considering there aren't that many of you.
That said, I'm more likely to get a girl with you if you go for a triple than a double, if they were mixed...:biggrin:

I think at manchester, it's mixed, or so I've heard. Apparently people are more 'mature' being 18 and all that.
AWWWWW damn :wink:

The imperial females:males is 3:5? So I think it's the high demand from the girls? which would mean not so high demand afterall considering there aren't that many of you.
That said, I'm more likely to get a girl with you if you go for a triple than a double, if they were mixed...:biggrin:

I think at manchester, it's mixed, or so I've heard. Apparently people are more 'mature' being 18 and all that.

I actually wouldn't really like a mixed room to be honest. :s-smilie: It's easier sharing with a girl than a guy. I'm sure guys would rather share with a guy than a girl.

Bless ya, can't believe you actually thought guys and girls could share :teehee: Not so easy to court Imperial girls, my friend, you need to earn your place when it comes to Imperial girls :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest