The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Coventry University - Starting 2011!

Hey!!!!!!

Im going to coventry university september 2011, got an unconditional offer to do Advertising and Business :smile:

Just thought i'd start this as there isnt really a thread for people starting coventry uni this year

Discuss anything you want here:

The University
Accommodation (singer hall seems to be my favourite)
The city
Night life
FRESHERS!!!!! :biggrin:
courses
teaching etc.... (cant think of anymore lol)

But just a chance for everyone going to coventry this year to get together and chat about anything you want.... ask a question and then im sure someone will answer back.

Or if you like if your going just say what course your doing.......?

Cant wait to gooooooooo! 6 months!!!! :P

Scroll to see replies

tTo be honest, singer hall is nice but it's quite overrated. Tt's expensive and its next to the city's red light district. apollo house is the cheapest accommodation, but i have been happy here. It's not about where you are, it's who you are with. I have met some amazing people in my halls but not everyone does, you have to remember that in the first week, everyone is as shy as you!

The uni itself can be fairly confusing to begin with, i'd recommend carrying a map around for the first few weeks as the buildings are all over the place. Between lectures, you'll probably only have an hours break so you kinda have to buy fast food which isn't so healthy, but theres plenty of places to eat. most students geta 99p baguette from eat4less :smile:

The city is a bit dull and has a lot of confusing subways but it's actually fairly safe.

Freshers week is brilliant, just make sure you have sorted ALL of your student finance so that you can actually afford to go out, and freshers passes sell out rather fast. I know it sounds sleezy but in freshers week, everyone wants to bang everyone so be safe!

Most teachers are sound, but lectures are boring as fook and unlike college, you can't just find a lecturer to have a chat with if you have issues, they don't have time so you have to email them or book a slot.

All in all, your first year will probably be the best year of your life, just make sure you have finance sorted and don't damage anything in your halls because they will fine your a**e off :smile:

hope this has been helpful!
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Wow! This is fantastic! Exactly what i was after :smile:

Yeah the only reason why singer is my favourite is because its the closest cheapest one to my university building, so i think paying a little extra just to be close is worth it. But yes you are right its not where you are but who your with :P im just praying that I have nice people next to me where i stay lol and who don't just stay in haha!

I cant wait for freshers just to meet everyone and party lol! Love the information you gave :smile: i think i will definitely be getting a freshers pass.

My main worry about Coventry was the city itself and the nightlife ect.. after people saying its rubbish and dull. But i think the main reason is when you come to terms with it and realise that its not gonna be the best city in the world but it does do the job (and pretty well actually). it has everything you want and will need.

The way I see it, its the people your with that make a good night out not the place. Also after reading a few posts the nightlife situation doesnt even seem that bad, it has a fair few clubs which sound good and if you really want to you can go to Birmingham for a big night out :smile:

Thank you for the information about seeing lecturer's i will keep that in mind.

Cannot wait haha

Was so helpful :smile: p.s what year are you in at uni?
Reply 3
I have a conditional offer to study Geography and Natural Hazards and I've aimed my accomodation choice at Singer Hall too. I can't wait to go now, it will be great hopefully :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jacky_12
I have a conditional offer to study Geography and Natural Hazards and I've aimed my accomodation choice at Singer Hall too. I can't wait to go now, it will be great hopefully :smile:

I'm currently in my second year studying Geog and natural hazards...it's really good, first year concentrates on some human aspects but apart from that the course is great!
Reply 5
Is MSc Automotive Engineering good in Coventry University?

I have offer from Exeter, Kingston, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, City, Coventry, Sussex and Brighton. Which one to choose?

Any suggestions... :confused:
Reply 6
LMAO ^

ummmmmm starting in sept yeah :smile:
Reply 7
Is there anyone in the forum going in for nursing this september?Just want to know how many days you go for lectures and placements.Thanks.
Reply 8
left college last year doing a BTEC art & design and got a unconditional offer for the Illustration with animation course this year and like everyone else i really wanna go singer halls, it just looks nicer and closer to my uni building ;P lol just wanted to know, do we get to pick where we stay or do they chose it for us, i applied for it on the 1st of april and still havent heard back from them :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by gracebutlerr
tTo be honest, singer hall is nice but it's quite overrated. Tt's expensive and its next to the city's red light district. apollo house is the cheapest accommodation, but i have been happy here. It's not about where you are, it's who you are with. I have met some amazing people in my halls but not everyone does, you have to remember that in the first week, everyone is as shy as you!

The uni itself can be fairly confusing to begin with, i'd recommend carrying a map around for the first few weeks as the buildings are all over the place. Between lectures, you'll probably only have an hours break so you kinda have to buy fast food which isn't so healthy, but theres plenty of places to eat. most students geta 99p baguette from eat4less :smile:

The city is a bit dull and has a lot of confusing subways but it's actually fairly safe.

Freshers week is brilliant, just make sure you have sorted ALL of your student finance so that you can actually afford to go out, and freshers passes sell out rather fast. I know it sounds sleezy but in freshers week, everyone wants to bang everyone so be safe!

Most teachers are sound, but lectures are boring as fook and unlike college, you can't just find a lecturer to have a chat with if you have issues, they don't have time so you have to email them or book a slot.

All in all, your first year will probably be the best year of your life, just make sure you have finance sorted and don't damage anything in your halls because they will fine your a**e off :smile:

hope this has been helpful!

That very much depends on your course. All lecturers should have surgery hours, and most are willing to talk if you make an appointment. I've often been known to randomly go to my lecturers' offices and go in for a chat.

Lectures, same. Whether they're boring or not depends on the lecturer and how much you like that particular module.
Reply 10
Hi does anyone know the dates for when freshers week starts this year? Also I've firmed Coventry fir dietetics!!!!
Reply 11
I reckon Freshers this year will probs start Saturday 24th Sept, Freshers last year started that weekend in September :smile: Doubt there'll be any info on Freshers week until September though.
Reply 12
hey..anyone from India starting this september?
Hi,
I'm hopefully going to coventry university this coming academic year. It was a last minute decision to make this a firm choice but here I am! Was kind of hoping the nightlife was going to be half decent.. But doesn't look like it will be. I suppose its going to be better than where I come from anyway so thats something. I'm sure I can make sure we get some good partying going on. Just wondering if anyone knows about the new student union. Its called "the hub" so I'm told, what was the old one like?(fiftyfour) and what do people think the new one will be like? Also I am still awaiting reply from my accomodation application, I signed up on the first day it was available for the applications and I've heard nothing... I've applied firstly for singer hall and secondly for trinity point. Anyone have a rough idea of when I might get a reply?
Reply 14
Original post by JessicaBryony
Also I am still awaiting reply from my accomodation application, I signed up on the first day it was available for the applications and I've heard nothing... I've applied firstly for singer hall and secondly for trinity point. Anyone have a rough idea of when I might get a reply?

Hey, im just the same as you :tongue:, i applied on the 1st of April and i still havent heard. i sent a email asking when we will find out, they said around end of may to the start of june, so basically soon. i want to go singer halls aswell ^^ but i havent got my choices yet, did you pick yours online? :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by JessicaBryony
Hi,
I'm hopefully going to coventry university this coming academic year. It was a last minute decision to make this a firm choice but here I am! Was kind of hoping the nightlife was going to be half decent.. But doesn't look like it will be. I suppose its going to be better than where I come from anyway so thats something. I'm sure I can make sure we get some good partying going on. Just wondering if anyone knows about the new student union. Its called "the hub" so I'm told, what was the old one like?(fiftyfour) and what do people think the new one will be like?

I've been at Cov a year and nightlife in Cov is fine - there is always a night to go to. Kasbah is great Monday, Friday and Saturday, there are SU authorised nights at Blok on Tuesdays and Platinum on Wednesdays - all of these have unbelievably cheap drinks deals and are always busy. 54 ran good nights, but the building was rank. I have no idea what the new SU will be like, but as long as they keep up on the nights it should be good. 54 had Skint on a Tuesday where you could get drunk for £5, and then 50p fridays and Wednesday Platinum pre-drinks. There's also Careys on a Tuesday. And The Oak pub is always open until 4am. I personally think Kasbah is the best place to go though - they do loads of live music too as well as club nights.

It's worth finding the pages for Kasbah, Blok, and Vodka Kiss on FB :smile:
Original post by rusey123
Wow! This is fantastic! Exactly what i was after :smile:

Yeah the only reason why singer is my favourite is because its the closest cheapest one to my university building, so i think paying a little extra just to be close is worth it. But yes you are right its not where you are but who your with :P im just praying that I have nice people next to me where i stay lol and who don't just stay in haha!
?

All the buildings are so close it doesn't really matter. I liked living in Priory because it wasn't forced communal unlike Singer, but that's personal choice. If you don't like the people you're with you're sort of stuck.

Incidentally, the new building is called The Hub but the new SU bar is called Square One.
Reply 17
hey hi this is RONNIE

I'm also going to coventry this september 2011. By the way for which course you are going for dude?
Hey :} i'm starting at Coventry in Sept 2011, was just wondering whether anyone could give me the low down? aha I'm going to be doing the Theatre and Professional Practice, anyone doing that course right now that could give me some info about it? Cheeeeeers.
Original post by Speckal
Hey, im just the same as you :tongue:, i applied on the 1st of April and i still havent heard. i sent a email asking when we will find out, they said around end of may to the start of june, so basically soon. i want to go singer halls aswell ^^ but i havent got my choices yet, did you pick yours online? :s-smilie:

Well, I went to an open day and chose, as I did an accomodation tour. The UNITE accomodation smelt really bad, there were extra costs and it seemed strict and kind of anti social. Trinity seemed the best in terms of social life, but its expensive and has added cost for internet, apollo hall was a trek and seemed bare dodge, and singer seemed decent, I've lived at a college(to do some ****ty course but I left to do A-levels) before and thought from what I'd experienced there Singer would be the best.

Quick Reply

Latest