The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8160
who else can't stand the F**KING customers who queue up at your till with just ONE ITEM when they could so easily save time and go through self-scan? This really rages me
Plus side - store closed Easter Sunday when i work, so day off!
Bad side - less money :frown:
Original post by inksplodge
Who is telling you to do reductions? You should do as whoever is in charge of your shift tells you. Don't take instructions from anyone else.

Well it sort of started with the person on the counter asking can I, one of the people there just expects me to and tells me to do it and one time a few things at the front of the store on a stand weren't reduced and our manager told the two of us about them and said they should have been reduced. I asked him if I'm supposed to do that and he said it should be the person behind the counter but with the lack of printers and handsets I have to. It's technically not something I should do though and I can't get done what I am supposed to do (working some rollers at the end of the night before night shift come on) because it's taking me a good bit of time to do that and now I'm getting told I should be working rollers and in a week or two I'll be getting in trouble if I don't. A few days I've even had to go without my break and work 8 hours straight to get everything done and I haven't even managed to work the rollers on occassions when that's happened.
Reply 8163
Isn't Easter holiday a paid holiday? Last year, I had it off, and got paid for it
Reply 8164
Original post by GuyUK
Isn't Easter holiday a paid holiday? Last year, I had it off, and got paid for it

heard you either make up the hours, or it's booked off as part of your holiday allowance, or its unpaid.
Original post by HKDSP
who else can't stand the F**KING customers who queue up at your till with just ONE ITEM when they could so easily save time and go through self-scan? This really rages me

And the ones who put the money on the belt instead of handing you it.
The store I work at is open Easter Sunday. Kinda sucks to be working then as Sunday's are quiet enough normally.

Do you get the extra pay (£2.51 isn't it or something like that) for good Friday, Easter Sunday and the royal wedding day?
Original post by Schumacher
And the ones who put the money on the belt instead of handing you it.

This this this! Especially when you even hold your hand out for them. Or when they're looking in there purse or whatever and just start flinging the money out and you have to pick it all up.
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
This this this! Especially when you even hold your hand out for them. Or when they're looking in there purse or whatever and just start flinging the money out and you have to pick it all up.

Or when they put their card in their mouth for a second and then hand it to you. >.<
Original post by KatrinaLou
The store I work at is open Easter Sunday. Kinda sucks to be working then as Sunday's are quiet enough normally.

Do you get the extra pay (£2.51 isn't it or something like that) for good Friday, Easter Sunday and the royal wedding day?

should do, but not sure how much it is! i'm working all those days :biggrin: kinda sucks that night shift only get paid for the 3 hours its still the bank holiday on fridays, i think if you start a shift on one day you should be paid the premium for the whole of it :awesome: i think i got about £5 extra for working new years day this year cos it was only 2 hours it will still new years day >_<
I have an interview today for a code checker, could anyone put my mind at rest about the DVD and maths test... I'm panicking a little :/
Original post by mehhh.....hi.
I have an interview today for a code checker, could anyone put my mind at rest about the DVD and maths test... I'm panicking a little :/

i think you'll be fine, it's just basic numeracy. i struggle with maths but i found it ok, there was only one question that threw me cos it took ages to work out! lol
What's this crap i've heard about basic rate (or something like that) for the first months pay? why would i be taxed? and by how much? :O i swear 12 hours a week is under the tax threshold or whatever its called :/ :frown:
Original post by swarfliam
What's this crap i've heard about basic rate (or something like that) for the first months pay? why would i be taxed? and by how much? :O i swear 12 hours a week is under the tax threshold or whatever its called :/ :frown:

you shouldn't get taxed alot if at all, whats your tax code? you might be on emergency tax
Original post by inksplodge
you shouldn't get taxed alot if at all, whats your tax code? you might be on emergency tax

I don't think i have a tax code? ffs.
Reply 8175

I was taxed the first month but i just rang up some number HR gave to me and it was sorted. (the following month i got my untaxed pay + the previous taxed money)

Did you complete a form P46 and send this to HR? If not, you may well be on the wrong 'tax code', which you can see on your payslips. If your tax code isn't "747L", it's quite likely that it's incorrect (it could be "BR", for example, of have a "week 1"/"month 1" suffix). If you've not completed the form yet, I'd suggest that you download one from here and complete it, then send it to HR (or pass to your manager): http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

While the form may not be processed in time for the first period that you're paid for, once it has been processed you should receive a refund of any overpaid Income Tax automatically through the payroll system the next time that you're paid.

You *may* also have success in getting an incorrect tax code updated simply by calling your tax office and asking them to notify your employer of the correct code to use.

If you're not yet aware of this, you have to pay Income Tax on any taxable income in excess of your personal allowance for a year, and currently the standard personal allowance is £7,475. Being a student doesn't have any effect on this, and the number of hours worked isn't the important factor either.
Reply 8177
So I filled in my holiday form and handed it to my department manager who as far as I know, just left it behind the counters and hasn't done anything. Now that he has left, I have to get a new form, fill it out and hand it to the fresh department manager. I'm probably not going to get the days off in May that I wanted now :frown: Argh!

Do you just pick up a new holiday form from HR?
Reply 8178
Original post by JemMills
So I filled in my holiday form and handed it to my department manager who as far as I know, just left it behind the counters and hasn't done anything. Now that he has left, I have to get a new form, fill it out and hand it to the fresh department manager. I'm probably not going to get the days off in May that I wanted now :frown: Argh!

Do you just pick up a new holiday form from HR?

Yep. One tip: don't let them palm you off with "I'll have to print it off later" :tongue: It only takes two seconds to print off a holiday form. Our HR are good but I've seen stories here of HR refusing to do it (and of course then never actually doing it at all), and it's total nonsense.
Hey just wondering if those on night shifts get to go out for a ciggy? i know the night shift managers rant on about security which i totally understand, but the night shift managers are always sneaking outside for a cig, like 4 times during night which i think is totally unfair :|

Latest

Trending

Trending