The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8380
Please stop blaming the ref :facepalm2:
Reply 8381
The timing and the penalty was correct IMO. There's only one man to blame here and it's Eboue. Totally needless challenge. Lucas was not going anywhere.
Original post by doggyfizzel
There were 8 added minutes of play. 2 of those were not played due to the penalty, that means there has to be a minimum of 10 mins added time, you always get an extra minute.

I didn't see the decision for the penalty, but the timing was correct.

I believe less than 2 minutes were taken up by the penalty and even if it was 2 minutes, the penalty was awareded in the 101st minute. That's 3 extra minutes on top of the original 8 which, in my opinion, is ridiculous.

I'm not defending Eboué though. The guy is an utter c**t.
Reply 8383
Original post by neillya1
That's my point I'm trying to make, if you read my post.

Most refs are acutally alright, but when they make a poor decision/get it wrong, why can't players and managers criticize them?

From what you've written there, you agree the ref made a wrong call. So why should he just "get away" with it, without it being discussed?

Both penalties were obviously match changing decisions, so it's only right they can be discussed and if wrong, criticized.

On that note I'm out of here, you sound too much like a WUM.

i'm not wumming. I hate some Arsenal fans. Every result is because the ref. The Barca match, it was the ref, the Liverpool match was the ref's fault, countless other examples it was the ref's fault, when the performance are always underpar. Arsenal fans never look at themselves. Walcott was pointless, Van Persie was missing, Fabregas was awful, Wilshere was like a lame fish and Diaby did **** all. Not one player performed today at the level needed and fans go and blame the ref, cry cry cry cry. United fans get over it. You know why? Because they have a good team who win games and who more importantly, want to win games. This team needs to be torn a new hole.

No good players on the bench, no creativity, no energy, no spark, no nothing, like a limp dick.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8384
End of the day not good enough against a Liverpool side there for the taking.
2-0 up against our local rivals and we throw it away. 4-0 up and we throw it away. Take the lead in the 118th min and throw it away. No other team, even the relegation battlers do **** like this, hopefully we can just end the season well now and Wenger finally gets rid of the crap in the summer.
Reply 8386
It was a penalty, no issues with timing. + Why blame Eboue? We should have won that match easily.
Said it in the match thread and will say it here - It was a clear penalty BUT it should never have been given. Even the free-kick was pushing it with regards to the amount of time played... Really should have ended after RvP's goal, or the free-kick.

It was a minimum of 8 minutes, and given Liverpool's time-wasting (Reyna's goal kick in the 91st minute) and the time taken for the penalty, goal and restart there was probably still a few seconds left after they took their free-kick. Yes many refs would've blown immediately once it bounced off the wall but I don't think it was technically wrong at all to play on.
Note quite correct, but I see what you're getting at.

First of all, just like with free-kicks and substitutions, a penalty in injury time is PART of the injury time added, not EXTRA to it. You don't add any more (unless obviously there is a ridiculous amount of time wasting involved).

You don't always get an extra minute..... in fact, without good reason you never should.

Source: I'm an FA registered referee, I know what I'm talking about :tongue:

Im not a registered referee but there is a flaw in that. The decision to introduce extra time was as a result of a Villa game in which the ball was kicked out of the stadium so that the 90 minutes would elapse. If you are not counting stoppages in extra time itself, then extra time does nothing. You could still for some reason stop play, and the extra time would be wasted. You would have to add on time for any stoppages in play, a penalty decision would be one of them. Otherwise a team could get a penalty then mob the ref, incorrectly set the ball or take in a way which requires a retake, encroachment for example just to run down the clock. You always do get roughly an extra minute, regardless of whether you should, no one has complained about it before.
Reply 8389
Tactics - when everyone knows yours, you're ****ed.
Oh well. There's always next season. What's one more year for us...
Reply 8391
Goddamn this team. A win would only have covered up another dreadfully uninspiring offensive performance.

Also, Wenger should learn to accept setbacks with dignity. I laughed when he whinged at Dalglish, and the Liverpool manager just told him to **** off. :lol:
Reply 8392
Wenger whining about the penalty as well. His precious players can't accept a bit of criticism in public. They should all be made to feel ashamed.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Im not a registered referee but there is a flaw in that. The decision to introduce extra time was as a result of a Villa game in which the ball was kicked out of the stadium so that the 90 minutes would elapse. If you are not counting stoppages in extra time itself, then extra time does nothing. You could still for some reason stop play, and the extra time would be wasted. You would have to add on time for any stoppages in play, a penalty decision would be one of them. Otherwise a team could get a penalty then mob the ref, incorrectly set the ball or take in a way which requires a retake, encroachment for example just to run down the clock. You always do get roughly an extra minute, regardless of whether you should, no one has complained about it before.

I get what you're saying, but (this is how I would see it in a match, I know all ref's are different and interpret the rules in different ways) the examples you have there, such as mobbing the ref, retaking a penalty etc, they're what I would consider excessive time wasting (in an injury time scenario) and so would add on extra time to compensate.

If it is just a penalty kick, taken first time, no arguments, then I'd add on no extra time.

I would add for the following:

-Excessive time wasting (as mentioned above)
-Injuries
-A long stoppage in play (fight etc).

But none of those happened today....
Reply 8394
Can't believe Wenger is saying it wasn't a pen. Really needs to learn to accept defeat. He's worse than the players at times.
Reply 8395
Original post by Nasri08
Can't believe Wenger is saying it wasn't a pen. Really needs to learn to accept defeat. He's worse than the players at times.

What could Eboue have done?
Reply 8396
Also, it's a tad worrying that Nasri and Walcott couldn't get past a pair of teenage reserve full-backs.
I'm not an Arsenal fan and I don't think it was a penalty. The Liverpool player stopped right infront of Eboue who was simply following the ball to attempt a clearance, if anything it was obstruction on the part of the Liverpool player who wasn't in touching distance of the ball and blocked Eboue's path. The way Eboue fell over him looked clumsy and that is why he gave the penalty.
Reply 8398
Original post by MoMatrix
What could Eboue have done?

Are you saying it wasnt? From my stream it looked like it to me...

Either way we should have buried the game, he should be concerned with the teams performance not looking for excuses.
Reply 8399
Original post by Nasri08
Are you saying it wasnt? From my stream it looked like it to me...

Either way we should have buried the game, he should be concerned with the teams performance not looking for excuses.

Lets just say it was very clever play from Lucas to stop right in front of Eboue and wait for contact.

Latest