The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Davidragon

I'm fairly sure it is wrong to call them chromosomes though, because chromosomes are almost always labelled as having 2 chromatids :|.
If the chromatids are pulled apart into 4 new cells during mitosis 2 they don't magically become chromosomes unless they are about to divide again surely (>.<)

This was poorly taught at GCSE too tbh ¬_¬

I think you're right actually, it was very poorly taught at GCSE. Checking my textbook and I think you're right, you're supposed to say the 4 daughter cells have 23 chromatids. But what about normal body cells, do you not still say that there are 46 chromosomes? Even if it's made up of one chromatid? :dontknow:
Original post by nasira372
What about for biology/chemistry?

Im guessing everyone does AQA like me or am I wrong?

I do:

AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
Edexcel German
Edexcel Mathematics
OCR Critical Thinking
Original post by liviaaa
:smile:

I've just revised the sin/cos/tan graph transformations for C2 - it's my least favourite section - it's not even proper maths, haha.

I :love: the sin/cos/tan graphs!

I use them for literally everything in trig! :cool:

Hate CAST with a passion :mad:
Original post by thegodofgod
I :love: the sin/cos/tan graphs!

I use them for literally everything in trig! :cool:

Hate CAST with a passion :mad:

What's CAST?
Original post by Normandy114
What's CAST?

It's the quadrants in which cos/all/sin/tan are positive: all of them are positive in the 1st quadrant, sine in the 2nd, tangent in the 3rd, and cosine in the 4th.

For example,

The x-axis is the adjacent, the diagonal is the hypoteneuse, and the edge parallel to the y-axis is opposite.

Hope this clarifies stuff a bit :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
I'm waiting to here back from the british heart foundation, and I have emailed a care home and got nothing :frown: I'll have to call them all tomorrow!

Have you heard anything now?
Reply 1746
heyy! Im hoping to study medicine, but I was just wondering what sort of gcse grades I'll need
Possibly, Kings being my first perference but id happy to go anyhere for med
im from a grammar, done loads work experience and extra activites too.
It's the quadrants in which cos/all/sin/tan are positive: all of them are positive in the 1st quadrant, sin in the 2nd, tan in the 3rd, and cos in the 4th.

So glad that's not in the OCR syllabus :colone:
Original post by Libby18
heyy! Im hoping to study medicine, but I was just wondering what sort of gcse grades I'll need
Possibly, Kings being my first perference but id happy to go anyhere for med
im from a grammar, done loads work experience and extra activites too.

See this page for GCSE requirements. If I remember correctly Kings like to see candidates have quite a few A*s at GCSE.
So glad that's not in the OCR syllabus :colone:

But luckily we don't get tested on it / don't have to use it - we can use either the CAST diagram or the sin/cos/tan graphs (which I prefer any day) to work out stuff.
Reply 1750
See this page for GCSE requirements. If I remember correctly Kings like to see candidates have quite a few A*s at GCSE.

Thank you; i've seen this already, but it only shows the mininum requirements. And I was hoping to know realistically what they look for. Obviously, all A* would definitely show academic ability.
Original post by itsrayray:)

Nope! i'm considering a gap year now :redface: I just don't feel ready to apply this year :frown:
Original post by itsrayray:)

What volunteering have you done?
Reply 1753
The competition has majorly increased this year!! But at least we're pretty much garaunteed a job at the end! I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Physics and French this year and dropping French next year. I need to get over 90% is all my as's because i want to apply for cambridge.

anyone else in the oxbridge boat?! quote me if you are and we can panic together!!!!
Reply 1754
I do:

AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
Edexcel German
Edexcel Mathematics
OCR Critical Thinking

Im doing the same as you for my A-levels xD
maybe not Critical Thinking though ( I'm stuck between Critical Thinking and Spanish enrichment :/ )
Original post by LiviD
The competition has majorly increased this year!! But at least we're pretty much garaunteed a job at the end! I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Physics and French this year and dropping French next year. I need to get over 90% is all my as's because i want to apply for cambridge.

anyone else in the oxbridge boat?! quote me if you are and we can panic together!!!!

Wannabe Cambridge applicant currently.
I need to change my personality within the next two years though >.>

I nerd out to 4 sciences (maths included as a science) for A level :rolleyes: + GS + EPQ

Unfortunately my GCSEs won't make me competitive enough for Oxford so Cambridge it is (hopefully :colondollar:)

90% above seems like the standard but since my first AS biology was 2% above that the next one seems pretteh scary o.o

Oh, and there's the first mechanics paper... ¬_¬
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Libby18
Im doing the same as you for my A-levels xD
maybe not Critical Thinking though ( I'm stuck between Critical Thinking and Spanish enrichment :/ )

CT's good for section 1 of the BMAT though - that's the only reason I'm taking it :tongue:
CT's good for section 1 of the BMAT though - that's the only reason I'm taking it :tongue:

I hope general studies is at least good for essay writing or something :/
Wannabe Cambridge applicant currently.
I need to change my personality within the next two years though >.>

I nerd out to 4 sciences (maths included as a science) for A level :rolleyes:

Unfortunately my GCSEs won't make me competitive enough for Oxford so Cambridge it is (hopefully :colondollar:)

90% above seems like the standard but since my first AS biology was 2% above that the next one seems pretteh scary o.o

Oh, and there's the first mechanics paper... ¬_¬

Change personality? :lolwut:
I hope general studies is at least good for essay writing or something :/

But all universities (not only medical) hate GS, don't they?? :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending