The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Offers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by nikita_atikin
Not so easy to court Imperial girls, my friend, you need to earn your place when it comes to Imperial girls :wink:

Hear, hear! :rofl3:

Now if my mum will sit down and have that "let's be sure that Leeds is gonna be my insurance" talk with me anytime soon, I can send that blasted UCAS choice reply thingymajig. :P
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 901
I actually wouldn't really like a mixed room to be honest. :s-smilie: It's easier sharing with a girl than a guy. I'm sure guys would rather share with a guy than a girl.

Bless ya, can't believe you actually thought guys and girls could share :teehee: Not so easy to court Imperial girls, my friend, you need to earn your place when it comes to Imperial girls :wink:

:colondollar: tbh, I didn't think the accommodation would be mixed (or rather, thats what I'm telling you now). :wink:

With imperial's girl:guy ratio, imperial girls will be very sought after and hard to get. Damn, just my luck then. Better hope they share me with a girl by mistake to make my chances better :rolleyes:

Original post by arianex
Hear, hear! :rofl3:

Now if my mum will sit down and have that "let's be sure that Leeds is gonna be my insurance" talk with me anytime soon, I can send that blasted UCAS choice reply thingymajig. :P

lol, I secretly firmed Imperial, and insured Durham in my own time. I told my mum before I firmed that I actually firmed, just to see her reaction. And not surprisingly, she told me she wanted me to firm Durham because
a) she thinks i won't get the grades
b) it's too expensive
Since she didn't have a huge go at me, I went and firmed/insured imperial/durham anyway :P
Original post by Dark-Myth
:colondollar: tbh, I didn't think the accommodation would be mixed (or rather, thats what I'm telling you now). :wink:

With imperial's girl:guy ratio, imperial girls will be very sought after and hard to get. Damn, just my luck then. Better hope they share me with a girl by mistake to make my chances better :rolleyes:

Don't think that's gonna happen, unless you officially changed your name to Molly. :s-smilie:
Reply 903
Don't think that's gonna happen, unless you officially changed your name to Molly. :s-smilie:

Stop extinguishing my hopes! :cry2:
I hate you! :angry:
(edited 13 years ago)
Stop extinguishing my hopes! :cry2:
I hate you! :angry:

Well, with that incriminating comment, that's one girl you're not gonna get (i.e. me) :rolleyes:

:tongue:
Reply 905
Well, with that incriminating comment, that's one girl you're not gonna get (i.e. me) :rolleyes:

:tongue:

Well you say that... meh, you're probs not my type anyway :wink:

I just realised that I don't have an english name, so they won't know by judging from my name. So all's still good yay!!!

To explain why I didn't know much about halls, I hadn't realised there was an accomodation thread. Have subscribed to it now :smile:
Well you say that... meh, you're probs not my type anyway :wink:

I just realised that I don't have an english name, so they won't know by judging from my name. So all's still good yay!!!

To explain why I didn't know much about halls, I hadn't realised there was an accomodation thread. Have subscribed to it now :smile:

Fine. :mad: I don't want you either.

Oh actually... my name is a Russian boy's name so do you think they'll lump me in a with another Russian boy? :eek:
Reply 907
Fine. :mad: I don't want you either.

Oh actually... my name is a Russian boy's name so do you think they'll lump me in a with another Russian boy? :eek:

It's what you get for playing hard to get :wink:

Imagine you did! I'd lol so hard.
If I were you I'd hope that the dorms are mixed, that way you might just find yourself with a Russian girl rather than a russian dude.
(edited 13 years ago)
It's what you get for playing hard to get :wink:

Imagine you did! I'd lol so hard.
If I were you I'd hope that the dorms are mixed, that way you might just find yourself with a Russian girl rather than a russian dude.

You're missing out, honey :wink: I'm sure we can be friends nevertheless.

Nah, I'd want to get lumped in with a Russian guy... I'm a girl, remember? :s-smilie:
Reply 909
You're missing out, honey :wink: I'm sure we can be friends nevertheless.

Nah, I'd want to get lumped in with a Russian guy... I'm a girl, remember? :s-smilie:

You girls are so wierd... One minute, you don't want to share with guys, then the next minute you do.
I get it, is it because I'm chinese? xD

Tbh, being chinese, I rather not share with another chinese dude. At least not the rich spoilt brats that get sent over here from China, and cba integrating with everyone else. Just hope I end up with a likeminded, sociable dude who likes to play PC games

(I'm such a game nerd:cyber:, which I probs why I have to hope to share with a girl to talk to one :cry:)
You girls are so wierd... One minute, you don't want to share with guys, then the next minute you do.

Tbh, being chinese, I rather not share with another chinese dude. At least not the rich spoilt brats that get sent over here from China, and cba integrating with everyone else. Just hope I end up with a likeminded, sociable dude who likes to play PC games

(I'm such a game nerd:cyber:, which I probs why I have to hope to share with a girl to talk to one :cry:)

Oh are you Chinese? :colondollar: I didn't know that haha

Ah I'm sure you'll find loads of girls to talk to, you should make the effort and not play games :yep:
Reply 911
Oh are you Chinese? :colondollar: I didn't know that haha

Ah I'm sure you'll find loads of girls to talk to, you should make the effort and not play games :yep:

lawl. hell yeah. I'm sure I've found one atm to talk to did I not?
ok counting posts on TSR is just sad now. DW, I'm not that desperate, and I'm not that big a nerd ;P

I've done no revision this holiday, any tips on starting to focus?
Got Bs so far this year in physics, and need an A :s-smilie:
lawl. hell yeah. I'm sure I've found one atm to talk to did I not?
ok counting posts on TSR is just sad now. DW, I'm not that desperate, and I'm not that big a nerd ;P

I've done no revision this holiday, any tips on starting to focus?
Got Bs so far this year in physics, and need an A :s-smilie:

Aha yeah of course you're talking to me, albeit through TSR but that's a start! :s-smilie:

Same I need an A as well and at the moment I'm on a *fairly* low B. :s-smilie: I'm resitting though. I'm gonna be so annoyed if I miss my offer because of physics. That's the only thing annoying me at the moment.
Reply 913
Aha yeah of course you're talking to me, albeit through TSR but that's a start! :s-smilie:

Same I need an A as well and at the moment I'm on a *fairly* low B. :s-smilie: I'm resitting though. I'm gonna be so annoyed if I miss my offer because of physics. That's the only thing annoying me at the moment.

Me too! this is quite annoying. got the A* in maths, only need 81 70 in FP2 and FP3 to get A* in F-maths, even tho I only need an A.

If I miss Imperial because of stupid physics, then all hell is gonna break lose =.=
Reply 914
You dropped out? how come?

tbh, I'm just gonna go with it like you said, if I get it then fine, if not, more money for teh parties and nights out ;p Like you said, good company might be worth the sharing. But it is a gamble. What if you end up sharing with a guy who absolutes playing death metal at full volume? :wink:

Altho tbh, as a EEE student, I doubt that will work out very well in my first 2 years (the booze, party and nights out bit) xD

Yeah, is a bit of a gamble, but from what I have heard it does work out in most cases. I have heard of people transferring rooms if it doesn't work out. If someone loves playing death metal at full volume, they'll bother you whether they're in the same room as you or in the same building.

I was at Keele University and dropped out because I was really unhappy there and the department there was terrible. Obviously there's a bit more to it than that, but those were the basic reasons.
Reply 915

Hey! Us girls aren't weird, we're just different! :tongue:

Woot, another Chinese sibling! *high-five* Okay, so I'm Malaysian-born, but still xD My boarding school-mates all say I have a slight tinge of yankee (!) to my accent...seeing that you're an international student, what's yours like? :biggrin:

Also, I get your drift. In my school the majority of Chinese students who come over are from mainland China and Hong Kong...I find it's more of the latter who fall under the "rich, spoilt, stuck-up" category (not everyone though, thank goodness.) Then again, that's because those from mainland China tend to be girls and there are not a lot of mainland Chinese here.

The rest of the Chinese are all Malaysian-born and bred, and there's only a handful of us. But you can see the diff in how we interact - the HK-ers tend to keep to themselves, which is a lil' bit sad. The mainland Chinese and Malaysians, however, tend to hang out a lot more with the "locals" in my school (and not just with each other.)

Know what's sad, though? We get called wannabes and try-hards by the not-so-nice HK-ers (there are some nicer folk though, thank heavens) just because we can peruse integration that doesn't fall under the realms of calculus. :tongue:
Reply 916
Original post by Zottula
Yeah, is a bit of a gamble, but from what I have heard it does work out in most cases. I have heard of people transferring rooms if it doesn't work out. If someone loves playing death metal at full volume, they'll bother you whether they're in the same room as you or in the same building.

Coolio. So you can transfer? I might well end up sharing then even if I earn some money this summer. :smile:

Original post by arianex
Hey! Us girls aren't weird, we're just different! :tongue:

Woot, another Chinese sibling! *high-five* Okay, so I'm Malaysian-born, but still xD My boarding school-mates all say I have a slight tinge of yankee (!) to my accent...seeing that you're an international student, what's yours like? :biggrin:

Also, I get your drift. In my school the majority of Chinese students who come over are from mainland China and Hong Kong...I find it's more of the latter who fall under the "rich, spoilt, stuck-up" category (not everyone though, thank goodness.) Then again, that's because those from mainland China tend to be girls and there are not a lot of mainland Chinese here.

The rest of the Chinese are all Malaysian-born and bred, and there's only a handful of us. But you can see the diff in how we interact - the HK-ers tend to keep to themselves, which is a lil' bit sad. The mainland Chinese and Malaysians, however, tend to hang out a lot more with the "locals" in my school (and not just with each other.)

Know what's sad, though? We get called wannabes and try-hards by the not-so-nice HK-ers (there are some nicer folk though, thank heavens) just because we can peruse integration that doesn't fall under the realms of calculus. :tongue:

:w00t: HI5! I was born in China, I've been in the UK altogether for 10 years? I think I have a fairly neutral british accent, or try to have one anyway. My friends say they can't tell if I was born here or not. I have a fair few chinese friends, more than half I think, not by choice, but because of similar interests. I don't discriminate when it comes to who I talk to, and who my friends are. Sadly, my parents do, and want me to have more white friends, which is near impossible considering she imposes a 9PM curfew (and still does even though I'm 18!!!), not allowed to go clubs, go to parties, invite people over etc etc :confused:

And how can THEY call you wannabes and try-hards? It's only right that you integrate yourself in the culture that is around you (assuming you are not in Malaysia, but somewhere else), and learn to speak their language. I find it ignorant when people (not just chinese) who go to other countries eg spain, and expect the same language to be spoken, same culture as if they're at home! Totally defeats the purpose of going abroad does it not?

And being chinese and all that, I bet you can integrate better than them anyway regardless whether it's in the realm of calculus or not :wink:

On a slight side note, when I went back to china for a year for family reasons, and went back to the school that I went to before coming to the UK, I was sometimes called fake-westerner (or fake western devil literally in chinese) because I can speak fluent english. Most of the time lucklily, it was jealous people saying it as a joke. But sometimes it isn't, and is really piss taking...
(edited 13 years ago)
I put imperial as my insurance. They must be mad :biggrin:
Original post by Jtking3000
I put imperial as my insurance. They must be mad :biggrin:

:woo:

What's your firm?
Reply 919

:w00t: HI5! I was born in China, I've been in the UK altogether for 10 years? I think I have a fairly neutral british accent, or try to have one anyway. My friends say they can't tell if I was born here or not. I have a fair few chinese friends, more than half I think, not by choice, but because of similar interests. I don't discriminate when it comes to who I talk to, and who my friends are. Sadly, my parents do, and want me to have more white friends, which is near impossible considering she imposes a 9PM curfew (and still does even though I'm 18!!!), not allowed to go clubs, go to parties, invite people over etc etc :confused:

And how can THEY call you wannabes and try-hards? It's only right that you integrate yourself in the culture that is around you (assuming you are not in Malaysia, but somewhere else), and learn to speak their language. I find it ignorant when people (not just chinese) who go to other countries eg spain, and expect the same language to be spoken, same culture as if they're at home! Totally defeats the purpose of going abroad does it not?

And being chinese and all that, I bet you can integrate better than them anyway regardless whether it's in the realm of calculus or not :wink:

On a slight side note, when I went back to china for a year for family reasons, and went back to the school that I went to before coming to the UK, I was sometimes called fake-westerner (or fake western devil literally in chinese) because I can speak fluent english. Most of the time lucklily, it was jealous people saying it as a joke. But sometimes it isn't, and is really piss taking...

Eh, come summer this will have been my 4th year boarding. I still go home to Malaysia during the main breaks (Christmas, Easter, Summer, what you will :tongue:) 9PM, woah. I thought us 6th form boarders had it bad at 10.30. :tongue:

I've come to realize that with some of the HK-ers in my school, it's like this for them: anyone who's not in your situation (foreigner in England) is your enemy, so you MUST stick with "your own kind". But if "your own kind" can speak fluent English and interact with "the enemy", they're "traitors"/try-hards/what-you-will and must be swiftly ignored. I know, it -does- defeat the purpose of studying abroad; but well, the majority of them aren't fussed (they're not paying for it, meh.) Though I suppose us Malaysians are luckier, because we grow up in a VERY multiracial society anyway so we're used to the idea of mixing with those not of "our kind" (bit of experience, woop!)
Also, ALL of the Malaysians at my school are all there thanks to music scholarships and bursaries, so we're more compelled to make the most out of our time here - partly by mixing with many different peeps.

Obviously, it's a lot harder if you don't speak English well; but if you don't try...well, meh. My "pet-sister" is Mainland Chinese and has a strong accent in that sense when she speaks English; but she TRIES more than half of my 6th form Chinese population put together. She's going to improve a lot better than they will.

Hah, my Malaysian friends joke on how my accent "is SO MUCH MORE WESTERN NOW", when in fact I've NOT had a Malaysian accent since...ever. Even before I left for England. :tongue: In fact, I find I have to bring out my "hidden" Malaysian accent a lot more when I'm back home, just so I don't "put people off" XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending