The Student Room Group

Six word short story

Scroll to see replies

French stay for war's duration. Joke.
Fishing boat sheds load: happy penguins.
What the Hell is going on?
Reply 403
Original post by Liam_G
How can you argue that it doesn't? :dontknow:

I think the whole beauty of literature is in trying to determine the inspiration behind a work's conception, that fleeting spark of creativity which compelled the writer to construct a story, or a sentence in such a way as to best express a specific sentiment.

I think Hemingway's six word short story is amazing, what it implies and the thoughts that it provokes. Don't you see how it's conciseness contributes to its affect? What's so good about it is that he doesn't explicitly reveal the details of the story, but instead allows us to question our own interpretations, and explore the possibilities for ourselves.

Why are the shoes never worn?
Why are they being sold, If the baby has died, then why are they not kept for sentimental reasons?
Why is the advert so short? Is it painful for the person to provide a more detailed account?
Who wrote the advert? A mother?
What compelled the person to write the advert and sell the shoes, surely they will not make much money from them... Is it even worth advertising?

Or the whole thing could just be a story about a shoe salesman, and ultimately a big mind **** that sends us down a road of unnecessary interpretation :smile:

I quite like it.

/Englishy rant

Honestly - I wasn't actually arguing that it doesn't... My 'How can six words constitute literature?' was my six words... i intended more of a contemplative interpretation...
We'll always end up like this.

The end is always the beginning.

Inexplicably, it seems, it's half ten.
Reply 405
Original post by vixen23
Honestly - I wasn't actually arguing that it doesn't... My 'How can six words constitute literature?' was my six words... i intended more of a contemplative interpretation...

Ah, I see.

Did not notice that it was six word long :facepalm:
Reply 406
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
Country buggered by the Labour Party.

Then came Conservatives; it got worse! :biggrin:

(I know almost nothing about politics.)
Birds! Pretty! ****...not so pretty...

Why does anybody bother with this?

This is my contribution: Six words.
(edited 12 years ago)
Around the world in eighty days