The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
Change personality? :lolwut:

Incredibly lazy... I thought I beat it after my first AS exams but I'm relapsing...
Our school makes us do it for some cool reason, like money or something...
The first one wasn't bad and the topics weren't unbearable (though there was a section on Big Brother)
I don't mind it but Critical Thinking sounds like it might actually be useful...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1761
Hey guys, I'm due to start medicine at kings this September iA. So if you have any questions let me know. :smile:
Original post by bahmad
Hey guys, I'm due to start medicine at kings this September iA. So if you have any questions let me know. :smile:

How much did they talk about work experience at your interviews? :colone:
Original post by Davidragon
Incredibly lazy... I thought I beat it after my first AS exams but I'm relapsing...
Our school makes us do it for some cool reason, like money or something...
The first one wasn't bad and the topics weren't unbearable (though there was a section on Big Brother)
I don't mind it but Critical Thinking sounds like it might actually be useful...

I'm so like that :colondollar:

Haven't started revising properly yet :s-smilie:

I'm like the King of Procrastination (if only it were a country - I'd be a billionaire, richer than Saudi Arabs).
Original post by bahmad

Is it true that they accept an amazingly good UKCAT (like 725+) in lieu of sh*tty GCSEs (like only 1 or 2 A*s)?

Cheers :smile:
I hope general studies is at least good for essay writing or something :/

It's good for absolutely nothing.
Reply 1766
How much did they talk about work experience at your interviews? :colone:

My first question was 'tell me about yourself and why you want to study medicine'. From thos I knew I had to talk about w/e. Also, most questions should give you an opportunity to talk about w/e. As you gain w/e to back up your career choice and see everything you read about medicine in action.
Is it true that they accept an amazingly good UKCAT (like 725+) in lieu of sh*tty GCSEs (like only 1 or 2 A*s)?

Kings score on a sliding scale sort of thing, where if you do badly at GCSEs, they let you make up for it at the UKCAT, and vice versa. And that example seems about right.
Original post by bahmad

Original post by bahmad

Ahh mA, well done! Be prepared for lots of questions :ahee:

Jw, were there any questions about the NHS or the reforms, I now understand what's going on with all that, but wonder how much unis would bring it up?
Reply 1769

Well kings don't have a cut off on ukcat and your right kings would look at the ukcat to compensate for the gcses. But everything is taken into account. Having said that kings put allot of emphasis on gcses and ukcat.
Reply 1770
Original post by oHellno
Ahh mA, well done! Be prepared for lots of questions :ahee:

Jw, were there any questions about the NHS or the reforms, I now understand what's going on with all that, but wonder how much unis would bring it up?

Jazak'Allah khairun, that's very good mA that you know about the reformations etc. They may ask you but you can also lead your interview by somehow dropping things such as I read the liberating the nhs paper and how it tries to address the issues of patient care etc. Or they may even ask you directly.

One of my interviews, I was asked what do you know about patient centred approach? At the end I mentioned the reformations and then led the next question towards reforms.

Also if you've mentioned about the changes in you personal statement, then it increases your chances of getting that asked. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bahmad

Original post by bahmad
Jazak'Allah khairun, that's very good mA that you know about the reformations etc. They may ask you but you can also lead your interview by somehow dropping things such as I read the liberating the nhs paper and how it tries to address the issues of patient care etc. Or they may even ask you directly.

One of my interviews, I was asked what do you know about patient centred approach? At the end I mentioned the reformations and then led the next question towards reforms.

Also if you've mentioned about the changes in you personal statement, then it increases your chances of getting that asked. :biggrin:

Seems like you've really got the opportunity to lead where it goes then. That sounds okay, haha if they ask a question subtly change the topic onto something you know more about.

I was so good, I started reading so many articles, but since the holidays have started I've completely stopped :erm: ah well. Thank youuuu :biggrin:
Reply 1772
Original post by oHellno
Seems like you've really got the opportunity to lead where it goes then. That sounds okay, haha if they ask a question subtly change the topic onto something you know more about.

I was so good, I started reading so many articles, but since the holidays have started I've completely stopped :erm: ah well. Thank youuuu :biggrin:

Lol no problem. But make sure you answer their question fully and throughly but drop things in which they will pick up on and hence lead your interview :biggrin:

If you need anything else let me know iA, also good luck with your exams, nail those grades :biggrin:
Original post by bahmad

Original post by bahmad
Lol no problem. But make sure you answer their question fully and throughly but drop things in which they will pick up on and hence lead your interview :biggrin:

If you need anything else let me know iA, also good luck with your exams, nail those grades :biggrin:

Haha obviously, you wouldn't change the topic completely :tongue: And dw, closer to the time I will probably by asking lots more questions :teehee:

:yawn: Done lots of work today. Also, if one of you randomly repped me, thanks :biggrin:
Time to sleep now, going to the beach tomorrow. Still doesn't look like I'll be doing any work :tongue:
Original post by Normandy114
Time to sleep now, going to the beach tomorrow. Still doesn't look like I'll be doing any work :tongue:

Have fun - I'm going to be handing my reference from my GP to the local care home - hopefully start volunteering there on Wednesday :redface:
Reply 1776
Original post by Normandy114

Nice!! Enjoy yourself :biggrin:
Reply 1777
Have fun - I'm going to be handing my reference from my GP to the local care home - hopefully start volunteering there on Wednesday :redface:

You might as well drop Critical thinking and concentrate on the others. Med schools hate it and they don't even count it as an A level.
Original post by Jabbo12
You might as well drop Critical thinking and concentrate on the others. Med schools hate it and they don't even count it as an A level.

Unfortunately, my school's not like you - I have to take it, no other choice :frown:
Unfortunately, my school's not like you - I have to take it, no other choice :frown:

Yeah we have to do General Studies at our college. T_T They openly admitted that it's just so they get more funding xD

But hey, we only have 40 minutes of it a week. :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending