The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roobsa

Original post by Roobsa
As a comedian I think he's dreadful but I didn't actually mind him in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

I've only ever seen about ten minutes of his comedy where he dissected some newspaper stories and I found that pretty funny, but I wasn't inspired to go and search out more from him. He at least tried to be doing something reasonably clever, which put him streets ahead of Peter Catchphrase Kay.
Reply 1161
Original post by Phalanges
I've only ever seen about ten minutes of his comedy where he dissected some newspaper stories and I found that pretty funny, but I wasn't inspired to go and search out more from him. He at least tried to be doing something reasonably clever, which put him streets ahead of Peter Catchphrase Kay.

In an unrelated note, I read your PM and the ideas were awesome. I'll hopefully remember to reply to it tomorrow!
I watched Moon earlier. Duncan Jones, along with Charles Ferguson, has to be one of the most talented rising directors around. And it pisses me off a little bit that every article, review, or even comment about him or his work includes the line "David Bowie's son...".

Also, even just Kevin Spacey's disembodied voice can give a more impressive performance than most characters are capable of. Ever since Sam Mendes signed on to Bond 24 it's kept alive the little hope I have that maybe one day he will play a Bond villain.
Reply 1163
I am so ****ing annoyed. Ordered the new harry Potter film of Amazon, put it in today to watch, like an hour in to it, just as I was getting really into it, the disc stops ****ing working properly! I've tried it in DVD players, laptops and computers. AAAAArghhhhhhhhhhh.
Been watching Apocalytpo (Ape)... oh my lord, it's terrifying, so much. death but wow great film

I may watch Arthur... probably not though, I find Russel brand funny as a comedian but not as much so in films
Reply 1165
Is The Village worth watching if you already know all the plot twists?
Suppose so, yeah. It's worth a watch, even if you want to just compare all of Shyamalans films in sequence
Original post by aja89
Is The Village worth watching if you already know all the plot twists?

:rofl:

Sorry but plot twists in Shyamalan films make me laugh.

Talking of Shymalan, anybody hear of that fundraiser to send him back to film school?

http://mnightschool.org/
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/04/send-m-night-shyamalan-back-to-film-school-and-10-other-fan-fundraising-drives/237352/
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/04/14/help-send-m-night-shyamalan-back-to-film-school/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/15/m_night_school/

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Been watching Apocalytpo (Ape)... oh my lord, it's terrifying, so much. death but wow great film

I may watch Arthur... probably not though, I find Russel brand funny as a comedian but not as much so in films

The whole cutting off the heads ritual as the offering to the sun gods, that was very well done. Intense scene. And it's a very good story in general, even if it does follow the typical formula, you really were on the guy's side - willing him to live.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
I am so ****ing annoyed. Ordered the new harry Potter film of Amazon, put it in today to watch, like an hour in to it, just as I was getting really into it, the disc stops ****ing working properly! I've tried it in DVD players, laptops and computers. AAAAArghhhhhhhhhhh.

That sucks. Amazon have brilliant customer support. Brilliant. So try and get in touch with them if blowing on it or cleaning it with a cloth don't work.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1169
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
:rofl:

Sorry but plot twists in Shyamalan films make me laugh.

When I was younger I remember watching both The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and having reactions along the lines of "NO!OMFG!OMFGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMFGNOWAIOMGOMG!NO! :woo::eek::woo:".

Nowadays I'm like :colonhash:.
Original post by aja89
When I was younger I remember watching both The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable and having reactions along the lines of "NO!OMFG!OMFGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMFGNOWAIOMGOMG!NO! :woo::eek::woo:".

Nowadays I'm like :colonhash:.

Three words will flash in your mind in nearly every plot twist. "...the whole time..." But in his movies, the :shock: with each progressive film slowly evolves to :colonhash:

Spoiler

Sixth Sense was such a brilliant film. Unbreakable, liked the premise. And Signs, I loved the atmosphere - ruined at the end.
New trailer

Talking to myself. I'll stop posting now. :awesome:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1172

Sixth Sense was such a brilliant film. Unbreakable, liked the premise. And Signs, I loved the atmosphere - ruined at the end.

Sixth Sense is definitely my favourite by M. Night Shyamalan. Brilliant film! But then everything went down hill... Unbreakable was average, Signs was okay, The Village was pretty entertaining. I'm hoping he breaks the trend sometime soon and makes another one on par with Sixth Sense. He's definitely got the technical ability to do it... he just needs another interesting story (though, I say that like it's easy...).
Reply 1173
Back from my hitch-hike to Marrakech!
Reply 1174
That sucks. Amazon have brilliant customer support. Brilliant. So try and get in touch with them if blowing on it or cleaning it with a cloth don't work.

Yeah I've tried pretty much everything, I'm tempted to just buy it again as its so much hassle sending it back to them and everything :colonhash: I'll just buy it from HMV instead though.
Reply 1175
Three words will flash in your mind in nearly every plot twist. "...the whole time..." But in his movies, the :shock: with each progressive film slowly evolves to :colonhash:

Spoiler

One of the most scariest 12 rated movie around imo :ninja: The end was lame though.
Original post by Deshi
Yeah I've tried pretty much everything, I'm tempted to just buy it again as its so much hassle sending it back to them and everything :colonhash: I'll just buy it from HMV instead though.

I bought a Tarantino boxset years ago from Asda online. When it arrived someone had opened it and taken out the Reservoir Dogs disc, which was bloody annoying.

Original post by channy
Back from my hitch-hike to Marrakech!

That sounds very cool.
Reply 1177
Phalanges
I bought a Tarantino boxset years ago from Asda online. When it arrived someone had opened it and taken out the Reservoir Dogs disc, which was bloody annoying.

I bought Rain Man a couple of months ago, but when I sat down to watch it, I opened the case and found Pulp Fiction inside instead. So I took it back to the shop, and they gave me another Rain Man... case. Guess what was inside. :colonhash:
New trailer

Talking to myself. I'll stop posting now. :awesome:

Lol I just assumed Cowboys vs Aliens would be awful, then I watched 2 of the new trailers and my mind has changed, it looks ok Daniel Craig being in it still seems a bit weird to me but it can work

Few days till Fast Five is out :cool:
Reply 1179
Original post by Phalanges

That sounds very cool.

Unlucky. Have you seen Reservoir Dogs yet then? I watched it a few weeks ago, thought it was pretty awesome.

And I just got the Harry Potter disc cleaned for a quid in town and it now works fine :h:

Quick Reply

Latest