The Student Room Group

Is it silly to go for another Masters if you already have one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by giella
Why not take a look at a registering for an MPhil in a related subject. I don't know the specifics of your subject and I know you're probably not ready to submit a proposal, but it is a possible area of compromise which you could benefit from at the same time.
Before charging ahead with a Masters that won't necessarily allow you to progress academically, why not hold back for a year and start doing some research for a doctoral proposal. It's a far cheaper option than studying for a Masters and may fit better around your family commitments as well. If the two are so closely linked, heading into an MPhil without the second MSc wouldn't necessarily be such a difficult thing for you to do.

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any serious UK MPhil programmes in my subject. But yes, this is a consideration. You are right about the research proposal as well - that is one of the biggest things keeping me back. I have no idea yet what area/problem I want to pursue in my research and entering a PhD so lost is bound to get me nowhere.
Since I'm not completely familiar with the UK system yet, but where does the MRes stand in comparison to the MPhil (if there is a comparison at all!) - any idea?
Thank you!
An MPhil is a research degree, that is conducting a large scale project over two years. MPhil students are assessed soley on an MPhil dissertation- I think through a viva voce (simiarly to PhD students), that is whereby a panal of two examiners critique and question the student on aspects of their dissertations. If a student passes the viva, they are awarded the MPhil, but usually after some corrections.

All PhD students start of as MPhil students and upgrade to PhD status after successfully completing some upgrading procedures. However, some people remain as an MPhil student as they have no desire to pursue a PhD. Note that if a PhD student fails their PhD viva voce (final examination) they are downgraded to MPhil status and are left with an MPhil, or worse, an outright fail. I would be devastated if I failed my PhD and ended up with an MPhil! As a result, in the academic community, there may be some stigma attached to MPhils!

In contrast a MRes is a taught masters degree in research. MRes students are assessed via exams, coursework and a final dissertation.

Both courses require completion of an original research project, although the MPhil project is considerably larger than the MRes project.

Hope this helps-! by the way, this is just my experience (at my UK university). Some courses may differ.
Reply 22
I would read the reviews on LSE at whatuni if I were you guys.

They are less than stellar, in fact a lot are downright crap.
Reply 23
Another option (particularly if you apply and are unfortunately unsuccessful for the MSc this year) may be to apply to do your PhD at LSE and audit the MSc units that you want to take. I know a number of PhD students who have either unofficially sat in on Master's courses, or officially audited those courses.

For what it's worth, I also don't think that you're being silly or obnoxious by only applying for one course. My husband recently did the same thing because there was only one Master's program that he wanted to take - it was the only one that would get him where he wanted to be - and, he was recently offered admission.

Congratulations on the new baby, and good luck with your decision.
Reply 24
Original post by Ellim
Another option (particularly if you apply and are unfortunately unsuccessful for the MSc this year) may be to apply to do your PhD at LSE and audit the MSc units that you want to take. I know a number of PhD students who have either unofficially sat in on Master's courses, or officially audited those courses.

For what it's worth, I also don't think that you're being silly or obnoxious by only applying for one course. My husband recently did the same thing because there was only one Master's program that he wanted to take - it was the only one that would get him where he wanted to be - and, he was recently offered admission.

Congratulations on the new baby, and good luck with your decision.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. I like the audit idea. Applying this year is not an option because it is very late now, but I am definitely going to apply for next year's session. I really, really want to do this. Each time I hear someone trying to talk me out of this, my resolve becomes stronger. I hope I am as lucky as your husband!

Best always. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending