The Student Room Group

A-Levels you regretted taking.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
English Lit. Wish I'd have carried on with French.
Reply 181
General studies! I didnt want to do it before, and besides no one cares you did it so whats the point! but i went to a school where if your grades were predicted high enough elsewhere you automatically got put in for the exam (not even like we got taught for it which says a lot about how easy it is but a waste of time!) :/
**** you aqa biology
Art AND French

I wish I had taken Maths and Computing, both would have been more relevant to my course.
Reply 184
This is really un-encouraging for me (I'm in year 11) :s-smilie:!
Reply 185
All of them, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Hated it from start to finish.

Given the choice again - I'd go with Latin, History and Classics.
Subject regret taking: Psychology
Subject I find difficult: Biology
Business and ICT. Hated them both. Now wish I'd taken literature and kept up film studies. Yes film's a soft subject, but at least I was interested in it.
Reply 188
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
What subject did you find rigorously difficult.
Might it be anything from Chemistry, Physics or even Maths!

Physics; not because it's hard, nor because I don't like it.

Because we're on the AQA Physics B: Physics In Context course. I'd say it a bit worse than abso-****ing-lute ****ing ****; probably the most ****ing **** piece of **** ever ****ing created by any ****ing ****head ****wit in the history of the Universe, and that is a rather long time.

Plus, one teacher is a clueless muppet, who once talk all lesson about % errors, spouting rubbish like percentage error=totalerror100actual errorpercentage\ error=\frac{total error}{100}*actual \ error, though I must say it was rather funny telling him at the end that 'it looks a bit different in the book, sir'. The other teacher is a recent Durham graduate, so is a bit inexperienced and often makes us do pointless tasks that really serve no purpose whatsoever (eg 'cutting out and sticking in the right order').

The course itself is awful. Its only about 50% physics, and 50% applied stuff, like 'reasons why somebody would want A instead of B' or the 'impact of [whatever] on the local community'. I mean what is this, geography?

Now, had we done AQA Physics A, then I would not be making this post, because Physics A looks roughly 2π(meh)2\sqrt{\sqrt{{\pi}(\frac{m_e}{h})}}% better than our course.
Reply 189
Fine Art :frown:

French, Maths, Physics are all great but Art needs to GTFO
Original post by dhillon1
history. oh god learning about the rise of the labour party and how the liberals introduced many social reforms that changed the british economy in the early 1900s bored me to death. i would rather jump off a building and hope to catch my eyelid on a nail than sit through that agen

oh wow im exactly the same haha
Sociologyyyy
Physics. Or should I say OCR B Advancing physics.
GO **** YOURSELF OCR B.
PE, it is not challenging enough and find myself getting demotivated and not working as hard as i should. i regret not taking history and philosophy and ethics. i took the easy way out and regretting it massively!
History. Enjoyed it and did really well at GCSE. Took it for A-level as a 'essay' subject in an attempt to show I had a bit more depth beyond the other subjects I took (maths, further maths and physics, which I all love). Regret it loads now, subject is difficult and my Russian History teacher is crap. Thankfully get to drop it at the end of the year though :biggrin:
Reply 195
Original post by Greg1989
General studies! I didnt want to do it before, and besides no one cares you did it so whats the point! but i went to a school where if your grades were predicted high enough elsewhere you automatically got put in for the exam (not even like we got taught for it which says a lot about how easy it is but a waste of time!) :/

I ended up in a similar situation. If you did well enough in your GCSEs you had to do Critical Thinking at AS. The whole subject was just common sense, you learned absolutely nothing new and yet it took up 3 hours a week (could've used those free periods!). Also, we had to do a compulsory ICT course which meant spending 1 and a half hours on a Friday morning looking at spreadsheets. It also meant I had seven subjects on my timetable instead of five.

I was doing English Lit, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Russian, Critical Thinking and ICT as well as that 'extended project' thing - so much stress. I felt like: :puppyeyes:

Not really a regret, more of a rant. :wink:
Reply 196
Original post by TimesChanging
Physics. Or should I say OCR B Advancing physics.
GO **** YOURSELF OCR B.

Same situation here dude. Hating it right now, got 2 resits with it coming up >.>. Could've been worse, I almost had 3.
Reply 197
I regret maths so much, but I don't regret being able to apply for economics at russell group universities, which require maths as a pre-requisite.

History is great at AS, a real bind in A2, would swap it for Geography.
Reply 198
Wish I hadn't taken history. Found it fun and easy in GCSE but I'm struggling so much at A-level with exam technique ... I just don't get it these days.
Reply 199
HISTORY!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest