The Student Room Group

For all you anti gun hoplophobes on here

has strict gun laws really worked in this country?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371371/Stockwell-shop-shooting-Girl-5-critical-condition-gunman-fires-indiscriminately.html

**** no they haven't, we need our right to bear arms now, how was anyone on this street meant to defend themselves? and how does making it harder for law abiding sports shooters like me prevent shootings like this? I wonder if the shooter had a licence for his gun, yeh......****ing.......right

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally I believe guns should not be any more legal than they are now. I feel if guns were legalised and widely available then there would be more murders simply because for 1 second someone got too stressed and acted stupidly.
Knives are legal to buy in this country and we have a large amount of knife crime if we legalised guns I think a large amount of this would shift to gun crime which would be much worse.

Also the cost. Not just the increase in stress on the NHS with all the shootings but we would then have to arm and train all police because of the dangers.
Reply 2
Original post by Hardballer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371371/Stockwell-shop-shooting-Girl-5-critical-condition-gunman-fires-indiscriminately.html

**** no they haven't, we need our right to bear arms now, how was anyone on this street meant to defend themselves? and how does making it harder for law abiding sports shooters like me prevent shootings like this? I wonder if the shooter had a licence for his gun, yeh......****ing.......right

You want to patrol the street with a gun, join the police, get into tactical firearms then you can. Shootings like this are not a daily occurrance because of the strict laws we have governing firearms in this country. Over in the states its easy for any crank with a problem to get their hands on guns compared to here. I' prefer things as they are tbh.
Reply 3
Step 1) Research how many school and university shootings have happened in the US, where guns are widely available.

Step 2) Research how many school and university shootings have happened in the UK, where guns are really hard to gain access to.

Step 3) Make your own conclusion.
Reply 4
youths aged between 14-17? and they can still get hold of guns easily, they're not exactly harderned criminals are they?
Reply 5
Guns are for pussies... I take a pair of mini scissors with me when I walk down to the garage on nights.
Reply 6
Original post by thisisnew
Guns are for pussies... I take a pair of mini scissors with me when I walk down to the garage on nights.

well people have them either way and they're gonna win if you don't have an equaliser, doesnt matter if you're 21 stone and 7 foot tall, a 14 year who weighs 130 pounds can still kill you in the blink of an eye. Maybe they are for pussies, but those pussies will win if we don't have guns as well, by the way I like your sig, the anti religious quotes.
(edited 13 years ago)
people should go back in time and shoot the guy that invented the gun lol all its done is cause harm and crap sure on the side its been made into a sport but look at all the people its killed =/ guns are for the scared little boys who think theyre bad and have no futures, need protecting because of there insecuritys and crap it takes a man to walk away anyone can pull the trigger even a monkey lol
Reply 8
Today I learned: the existence of the word hoplophobe.

Personally I am torn between the right to own weapons, the right to revolution, the right to effective self defense on one side and the damage weapons can cause upon society, people and other nice things (not to mention guns aren't really that effective in self-defence, it's better as a retaliation tool). Whether I support it comes down to the fact that I support the ideological right to own guns but the accompanying realities and disadvantages of mass gun ownership is difficult to rationally reconcile. And things that can't be rationally reconciled disturb me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9

Defending yourself with a gun....shoot thier bullet out the air?

Would you ever carry a knife for protection? If somebody came at you with a blade can you honestly say you would stab them to death? If guns in England become legal, you'd better hope you are more willing to kill than somebody who would take your life without a second thought.
Reply 10
Have we not banned these stupid pro-gun trolls yet? :rolleyes: Its the same thing over and over:

Gun nut starts pro-gun thread full of poorly disguised propaganda.
Gun nut gets roundly thumped in ensuing argument.
Gun nut waits a week.
Gun nut starts another thread, hoping that the people who smashed him in the last debate are on holiday.
They're not, crushing defeat follows.

and so on ad infinitum.
Reply 11

Yeah lets have more guns. So here people can pull out their guns and even more people can be hit in the crossfire you dolt.
Reply 12
Original post by Aj12
Yeah lets have more guns. So here people can pull out their guns and even more people can be hit in the crossfire you dolt.

wtf's a dolt :confused:
Reply 13
wtf's a dolt :confused:

A stupid person.

Although I prefer the urban dictionary definition:

A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time. Many times they are oblivious to their own mental incapacity.
Reply 14
Original post by py0alb
Have we not banned these stupid pro-gun trolls yet? :rolleyes: Its the same thing over and over:

Gun nut starts pro-gun thread full of poorly disguised propaganda.
Gun nut gets roundly thumped in ensuing argument.
Gun nut waits a week.
Gun nut starts another thread, hoping that the people who smashed him in the last debate are on holiday.
They're not, crushing defeat follows.

and so on ad infinitum.

Yeah I get "thumped" because all your arguments are just so well thought out and related to reality, and bosch why do the police and army bother carrying guns? after all its really hard to shoot the enemies bullets out the air, dumbass.
Reply 15
Original post by Bosch
Defending yourself with a gun....shoot thier bullet out the air?

Would you ever carry a knife for protection? If somebody came at you with a blade can you honestly say you would stab them to death?

I would do whats nessecary to protect my life and if that means putting a .45 in his head then so be it, not much of a survivalist are you?
Reply 16
How on earth are guns meant to keep you safe when you're more likely to get killed if you carry a weapon.
Reply 17
Original post by Manesh2468
people should go back in time and shoot the guy that invented the gun lol all its done is cause harm and crap sure on the side its been made into a sport but look at all the people its killed =/ guns are for the scared little boys who think theyre bad and have no futures, need protecting because of there insecuritys and crap it takes a man to walk away anyone can pull the trigger even a monkey lol

guns haven't killed anybody, only people are capable of that, and the chinese invented the firearm back in the twelfth centuary so feel free to vent your anger at them, and it takes a man to walk away whilst your family are gangraped.
Reply 18
Original post by limetang
How on earth are guns meant to keep you safe when you're more likely to get killed if you carry a weapon.

you're not more likely to get killed if you carry an inanimate object, its not some sort of ****ing death magnet, stop reading the anti knife crime propaganda bull****
Reply 19
you're not more likely to get killed if you carry an inanimate object, its not some sort of ****ing death magnet, stop reading the anti knife crime propaganda bull****

Well yes you are as someone else with a weapon is more likely to see you as a threat if you have a weapon so the odds of them attacking you are increased.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending