The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emaemmaemily
You're just being un-realistic now. Chaining them up? God.
Like I said, it's not all about the money. This is sustainable.
A life of crime makes it worse for the rest of us.

As I've said, lots of children mature and get over it. I don't see how you think none of them do.

As I've already said your points are based on specualtion as you have no evidence that the majority of bad kids get over thir troublesome behaviour.

Why should it not be about money -A representation for resources

What's wrong with chaining up societies scum bags it's what they do in the state-Either that or the firing squad for the worst re-offenders, It's the ulitimate for of rehabilitation, tell me how many criminals who have been giving death re-offend? It makes perfect sociological sense.
Original post by Jimbo1234
'Little goes your way, deal with it'? Sure, I'll deal with it by making those idiots shut up.

Have you ever thought that kids can't learn because the teacher has to tell some stupid moron to shut up every few minutes? Back in yr 9 the class I was in was so disruptive with a teacher we only managed to cover an eighth of the work we were meant to. 'Real life' was when those little tits got a cane to the the neck and did not talk again. In the real world these morons would never get employed or would be fired.

In year 9, the work was so easy- no one really had to listen that much. I really doubt that it had a detrimental influence on your future education. Don't get me wrong; I hated year nine 'cause the kids were so bolshy, but that's natural for some. Most of those who were once idiotic are doing pretty well getting As and Bs now, and those who really were no-goers stopped attending year 10 and were expelled. Maybe all your schools weren't so tough on bad kids? Because I don't actually have that much bad memories of seriously disruptive behaviour.
Original post by lawology
My foster brother has learning difficulties and came to my old secondary school for a short stint (I was in year 11 at the time and he was in year 7). He found learning and behaving incredibly hard and just didn't turn up to lessons. It wouldn't be at all odd to look out the window in a maths lesson to see him crawling around under parked cars with 2 or 3 learning assistants desperately trying to find him. He got moved to a special school (they just seem to go bowling and to the cinema constantly) and he finds it much less stressful.

I don't think these kids should just be chucked out the education system, apart from anything else, later in life they'll be living at the tax payers expense. At the same time though, I used to hate the fact that the teachers in my classes often had to wait for some idiot in the back to behave, or pause halfway through what they were saying to tell them off, or listen to them talking during a test. It is off-putting and it isn't fair to those kids who really do want to learn.

Most disruptive kids already have 1-1's and extra learning support, I'm not sure what else the government could be doing. The system isn't perfect by any means but at the same time I can't see how they would improve it without negative counter-effects elsewhere.

He doesn't sound that bad, in that he clearly had something more that little s*** syndrome and he was not ruining class for everyone else by playing outside.
My foster brother has learning difficulties and came to my old secondary school for a short stint (I was in year 11 at the time and he was in year 7). He found learning and behaving incredibly hard and just didn't turn up to lessons. It wouldn't be at all odd to look out the window in a maths lesson to see him crawling around under parked cars with 2 or 3 learning assistants desperately trying to find him. He got moved to a special school (they just seem to go bowling and to the cinema constantly) and he finds it much less stressful.

I don't think these kids should just be chucked out the education system, apart from anything else, later in life they'll be living at the tax payers expense. At the same time though, I used to hate the fact that the teachers in my classes often had to wait for some idiot in the back to behave, or pause halfway through what they were saying to tell them off, or listen to them talking during a test. It is off-putting and it isn't fair to those kids who really do want to learn.

Most disruptive kids already have 1-1's and extra learning support, I'm not sure what else the government could be doing. The system isn't perfect by any means but at the same time I can't see how they would improve it without negative counter-effects elsewhere.

Exactly. I know it's difficult, because I was one of the behaved children too. I used to HATE them.
But I understand the implications of just kicking naughty children out, and it's counter productive as well as just plain wrong.
Original post by limetang
I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

Anyway I was wondering what other students opinions were.

Hard labour springs to mind ...
Original post by PendulumBoB
He doesn't sound that bad, in that he clearly had something more that little s*** syndrome and he was not ruining class for everyone else by playing outside.

Oh he did stuff in the classroom as well, I just rarely witnessed it firsthand. Twice he tried to jump out of a second floor window with a bin on his head (for the lulz apparently). He used to crawl round under desks and stuff as well, including the ones other students were sat at. Luckily at the school he's at now they have a 'team-teach' method which is where the teachers are allowed to practically sit on the students and then take them to a padded room. The staff:student ratio is like 3:5 as well.

He does have special needs so obviously this is a somewhat extreme case but the vast majority of students who have behave badly in schools do often have issues -whether it's learning difficulties or troubles at home.
As I've already said your points are based on specualtion as you have no evidence that the majority of bad kids get over thir troublesome behaviour.

Why should it not be about money -A representation for resources

What's wrong with chaining up societies scum bags it's what they do in the state-Either that or the firing squad for the worst re-offenders, It's the ulitimate for of rehabilitation, tell me how many criminals who have been giving death re-offend? It makes perfect sociological sense.

Well I'm a TA so I see it happen all of the time.
Some schools are ****, and don't deal with it properly... This is what needs to be addressed, not the rules.
Reply 467
Original post by limetang
I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

Anyway I was wondering what other students opinions were.

Kick them out, don't bother with them.
Oh he did stuff in the classroom as well, I just rarely witnessed it firsthand. Twice he tried to jump out of a second floor window with a bin on his head (for the lulz apparently). He used to crawl round under desks and stuff as well, including the ones other students were sat at. Luckily at the school he's at now they have a 'team-teach' method which is where the teachers are allowed to practically sit on the students and then take them to a padded room. The staff:student ratio is like 3:5 as well.

He does have special needs so obviously this is a somewhat extreme case but the vast majority of students who have behave badly in schools do often have issues -whether it's learning difficulties or troubles at home.

But at least now he has been removed from normal school, for the benefit of both him and the other students-I'd wager that he has a lot happier time thanks to his removal.

That's my point; forcing him to be in mainstream schooling is just not a good idea
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Aspergers kids have issues, it's not their fault. And besides, if it bothers you so much- work hard so you're not put in the class with numpties.

Oh what a great comment, lady. Of, course! It is not their fault, therefore they are free to disturb the whole class!

Let's take our friend Jimmy here. He is deaf and has red/green blindness. It is not his fault. Let's take him to the Navy SEALs! I don't care that he risks the failure of the whole mission and the life of his fellow soldiers- because, well, it is not his fault, is it? Oh wow.

Oh and now the asperger kids are only in the worst classes that the school has to offer. Those who work hard get into better classes. Are you stupid? You are trolling me, right? Oh, please, be a troll.
No no no no no, your idea of homework clubs for dedicated pupils is absurd; why should the school have to hire teachers to teach lessons for those who want to learn outside school hours. Do you realise how expensive that would be? What's wrong with controversy? If a pupil is ruining there own education and that of someone else; for the benefit of the majority remove him/her from the class. If they mess around they will probably fail anyway so why delay the inevitable when other people's future is at stake?

I feel your vigour from here. :tongue:

Firstly it isn't that bad, those students whom are truly dedicated will go to the homework clubs after school. The only other option is going to see your teacher during your break, which is probably more absurd in a student's perspective.
Plus the halls will be pretty cleared up after school hours so, homework club may not be that bad. Especially since in 'worse off' areas most of the 'riff-raffs' will be... out.

Secondly not all teachers need to do it, some teachers may have days when they attend the club and some when they don't; teachers don't usually mind taking out their free time when arranging revision sessions for their pupils close to exam time, so why not apply that for dedicated students?
Especially since simply chucking out bad students won't solve the problem; they'll still be there and they'll still be bad.

Thirdly, what's wrong with controversy? Well with the type I'm talking about, a lot. A school can be deemed prejudice if it constantly excludes children from a particular social class.
Your idea is fine when put into practice with more elite schools (notably grammar, private or pubic) but what about your generic state schools where you'll be bound to get a lot more disruptive pupils? Especially when it is law for children to say in education till the age of 16, last I checked.

So my idea of homework clubs is absurd when you try to apply it to elite schools such as grammar schools, private schools or even public schools.
But with state schools? No, sir, my idea does not seem as daft when you apply it to a state school context.
In a state school, as you'll likely have more people that will "mess around [and] will [likely] fail"... the bright students of those schools will have their future at stake.

Overall: the idea of simply chucking out pupils that misbehave is fine then you apply it to more elite schools. But not for state schools, however. With that in mind that is where an idea such as mine comes in without looking so absurd.
Well I'm a TA so I see it happen all of the time.
Some schools are ****, and don't deal with it properly... This is what needs to be addressed, not the rules.

Even if they do turn out (somewhat) alright in the end; do they ever end up with outstanding GCSE result? Probably not-Which begs the question, was it all worth it perhaps the effort spend reforming them would have been better focused on furthering the abilities of better behaved students. Think about not just the financial cost, but the cost to the other students in forcing them to try to learn around such distractions.
Even if they do turn out (somewhat) alright in the end; do they ever end up with outstanding GCSE result? Probably not-Which begs the question, was it all worth it perhaps the effort spend reforming them would have been better focused on furthering the abilities of better behaved students. Think about not just the financial cost, but the cost to the other students in forcing them to try to learn around such distractions.

Everyone doesn't need outstanding results. If they get decent ones, they can go to college and learn a trade at least. Better than nothing, we need people in those industries too.
The other students shouldn't have been subject to too much, if the schools do as they should and remove them when necessary. But, a little distraction (a little) helps children learn how to work in an environment that isn't perfectly silent, because the working world isn't like that.
If 5 people want to learn and the rest don't, let the others go and allow the teacher to focus his/her time on those who want to get somewhere in life.

noone in our class wanted to do french anyway, hence why we were 3rd set out of 4...
we had to do it because it was compulsary between year 7 and 9...
the people that did do their homework, did everything they could to lick the teachers arses in school.

the rest of us wernt interested in learning french, we turned up because it was compulsary...

thats what happens in lower school...
when you get to GCSE most of the trouble makers are out of your lessons, as people choose other subjects. the worst lessons then are maths english and science...

then at a level we didnt get any trouble makers really, me and my friend disrupted each other in health and social and IT, but thats because IT bored us. and health and social the teachers tailored the lessons to look at nursing, and they knew me and my mate wouldnt be interested as they knew we didnt want to go into nursing, but the majority of the class did...

so they let us sit in the back corner and get on with what we wanted to do...
Everyone doesn't need outstanding results. If they get decent ones, they can go to college and learn a trade at least. Better than nothing, we need people in those industries too.
The other students shouldn't have been subject to too much, if the schools do as they should and remove them when necessary. But, a little distraction (a little) helps children learn how to work in an environment that isn't perfectly silent, because the working world isn't like that.

to back you up, noone needs "outstanding results"
the best teacher in my old school got a U in general studies in 6th form, and has something like 2Cs and a D i think it was at alevel. and hes one of the few teachers EVERYONE looks up to!

at GCSE i dont have an A or a B to my name...
i got into 6th form...

at AS i have a C and a D
and A2 i have a D and an E

im not at uni not only studying to get a degree, but i also get a professional qualification, which in the line of work i want to do, you cant do much without it.

do like you said, you dont need outstanding grades [=
Compulsory sterilisation... Wether that means sterilising the people themselves, or sterilising the classroom from them... Is up to you :biggrin:
Original post by Knowledgemofo
I feel your vigour from here. :tongue:

Firstly it isn't that bad, those students whom are truly dedicated will go to the homework clubs after school. The only other option is going to see your teacher during your break, which is probably more absurd in a student's perspective.
Plus the halls will be pretty cleared up after school hours so, homework club may not be that bad. Especially since in 'worse off' areas most of the 'riff-raffs' will be... out.

Secondly not all teachers need to do it, some teachers may have days when they attend the club and some when they don't; teachers don't usually mind taking out their free time when arranging revision sessions for their pupils close to exam time, so why not apply that for dedicated students?
Especially since simply chucking out bad students won't solve the problem; they'll still be there and they'll still be bad.

Thirdly, what's wrong with controversy? Well with the type I'm talking about, a lot. A school can be deemed prejudice if it constantly excludes children from a particular social class.
Your idea is fine when put into practice with more elite schools (notably grammar, private or pubic) but what about your generic state schools where you'll be bound to get a lot more disruptive pupils? Especially when it is law for children to say in education till the age of 16, last I checked.

So my idea of homework clubs is absurd when you try to apply it to elite schools such as grammar schools, private schools or even public schools.
But with state schools? No, sir, my idea does not seem as daft when you apply it to a state school context.
In a state school, as you'll likely have more people that will "mess around [and] will [likely] fail"... the bright students of those schools will have their future at stake.

Overall: the idea of simply chucking out pupils that misbehave is fine then you apply it to more elite schools. But not for state schools, however. With that in mind that is where an idea such as mine comes in without looking so absurd.

Yes but the taxpayer will have to pay the teacher for overtime; why should that be the case?

Chucking out bad students will solve the problem as they won't be in school; they should be forced to get a job or starve for their insolence

You're not expelling them for being poor, your expelling them for the benefit of the rest of the class

Why should they receive an education if it's going to be wasted-Furthermore the law says that they can be home schooled- perhaps forcing them to be "home schooled" is the answer and if they fail then it's up to them.
Original post by PonchoKid
noone in our class wanted to do french anyway, hence why we were 3rd set out of 4...
we had to do it because it was compulsary between year 7 and 9...
the people that did do their homework, did everything they could to lick the teachers arses in school.

the rest of us wernt interested in learning french, we turned up because it was compulsary...

thats what happens in lower school...
when you get to GCSE most of the trouble makers are out of your lessons, as people choose other subjects. the worst lessons then are maths english and science...

then at a level we didnt get any trouble makers really, me and my friend disrupted each other in health and social and IT, but thats because IT bored us. and health and social the teachers tailored the lessons to look at nursing, and they knew me and my mate wouldnt be interested as they knew we didnt want to go into nursing, but the majority of the class did...

so they let us sit in the back corner and get on with what we wanted to do...

Then you shouldn't have been forced into doing french simples- I belive in the if you don't like it then leave approach when it comes to education.
Original post by PonchoKid
to back you up, noone needs "outstanding results"
the best teacher in my old school got a U in general studies in 6th form, and has something like 2Cs and a D i think it was at alevel. and hes one of the few teachers EVERYONE looks up to!

at GCSE i dont have an A or a B to my name...
i got into 6th form...

at AS i have a C and a D
and A2 i have a D and an E

im not at uni not only studying to get a degree, but i also get a professional qualification, which in the line of work i want to do, you cant do much without it.

do like you said, you dont need outstanding grades [=

I wouldn't want someone with 2 Cs and a D being a teacher-What do you want to do by the way
Original post by The Bagel Guy
Compulsory sterilisation... Wether that means sterilising the people themselves, or sterilising the classroom from them... Is up to you :biggrin:

Both preferably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending