The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deshi

Original post by Deshi
Have you seen Reservoir Dogs yet then?

Oh yeah, it's my favourite film. :p:

The box set was Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and both Kill Bills. Best tenner I've ever spent.
Original post by Phalanges
Oh yeah, it's my favourite film. :p:

The box set was Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and both Kill Bills. Best tenner I've ever spent.

I got it for £6.50 a few months back i think :yep:
Original post by cambo211

Original post by cambo211
I got it for £6.50 a few months back i think :yep:

Good price, but if I was buying it now I'd expect them to include Inglourious as well. :p:

I probably should look at buying some Blu Rays at some point, but they seem so expensive, I don't really want to buy my entire DVD library again and considering there's like 100 HD sky channels now and a boatload of HD movies on anytime there seems very little point. I think the only ones I own are District 9 and Hurt Locker.
Good price, but if I was buying it now I'd expect them to include Inglourious as well. :p:

I probably should look at buying some Blu Rays at some point, but they seem so expensive, I don't really want to buy my entire DVD library again and considering there's like 100 HD sky channels now and a boatload of HD movies on anytime there seems very little point. I think the only ones I own are District 9 and Hurt Locker.

Yeah i wanted Inglourious but it's usually available on skyplayer if i want it :tongue:

I still haven't invested in a Blu Ray player yet, unfortunately next years rent payment has to come first.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
New trailer

Well i'll be damned if it isn't a film about cowboys and aliens:ahee:
Looking forward to this :biggrin:
We're pretty popular. :gah:

Penguinsaysquack
x

lemonyspongecakeII
x

darthon
x

med1o1
x

Vysneta
x

Smudge26
x

:hi:

Welcome to the society and Chat thread. Feel free to post here about your favourite films, films you've recently watched on TV or in the cinema or films you're looking forward to. :h:
Original post by Hedger
Sixth Sense is definitely my favourite by M. Night Shyamalan. Brilliant film! But then everything went down hill... Unbreakable was average, Signs was okay, The Village was pretty entertaining. I'm hoping he breaks the trend sometime soon and makes another one on par with Sixth Sense. He's definitely got the technical ability to do it... he just needs another interesting story (though, I say that like it's easy...).

I'm beginning to think he doesn't have the ability to at all, that Sixth Sense was just some divine luck.

Original post by channy
Back from my hitch-hike to Marrakech!

Welcome back! :h: How was it?

Game of Thrones has premièred on HBO and Sky Atlantic. :gah:

Original post by Deshi
One of the most scariest 12 rated movie around imo :ninja: The end was lame though.

Swing away!

Thought it would have been more effective if they hadn't actually shown the alien or said that water was the weakness. It is such a weak move to hype up these aliens invading, not seeing them (playing on the fear of the unknown and unseen) and then showing some tall alien getting battered to death by water and a baseball bat. :colonhash:

They didn't have to show it at all. It would have worked equally well had they worked in some other ending not involving a visual depiction or a retarded weakness for these aliens that have traversed the galaxy and not known that water was their weakness.

It's like ... uploading a virus to the alien mothership from an old computer. Not bring any anti-virus software, aliens?

Spoiler

Original post by lukejoshjedi
Lol I just assumed Cowboys vs Aliens would be awful, then I watched 2 of the new trailers and my mind has changed, it looks ok Daniel Craig being in it still seems a bit weird to me but it can work

Few days till Fast Five is out :cool:

Original post by sheep_go_baa
Well i'll be damned if it isn't a film about cowboys and aliens:ahee:
Looking forward to this :biggrin:

One of the few films this year that looks great, and isn't a sequel.

I intend to watch it tomorrow morning. :biggrin: I watched The Reckoning tonight, the premise is nothing new and I spotted the plot coming a mile away but it was enjoyable enough. Plus anything with Ashley Jensen in = sold.
We're pretty popular. :gah:

:hi:

Welcome to the society and Chat thread. Feel free to post here about your favourite films, films you've recently watched on TV or in the cinema or films you're looking forward to. :h:

Thanks for letting me into the group officially now :biggrin:

I am now going to confess something terrible... I have never watched Shawshank Redemption.. is it as good as it's meant to be? :dontknow:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Thanks for letting me into the group officially now :biggrin:

I am now going to confess something terrible... I have never watched Shawshank Redemption.. is it as good as it's meant to be? :dontknow:

It actually is...

My confession?

I've never watched Trainspotting. Is that as good as it's meant to be?
Reply 1190
Welcome back! :h: How was it?

That sounds very cool.

Cheers dudes, it was utterly amazing. I'd post a few pictures and whatnot, but haven't got round to uploading them to my laptop yet. And we all know posting pictures of yourself on the internet can only lead to disaster...

Trying to find the first episode now!

Game Of Thrones: don't believe the gripes

Don't listen to the naysayers George RR Martin's Game Of Thrones gets better and better with each episode

Also been watching Dekalog, and this is what Kubrick had to say:

I am always reluctant to single out some particular feature of the work of a major filmmaker because it tends inevitably to simplify and reduce the work. But in this book of screenplays by Krzysztof Kieslowski and his co-author, Krzysztof Piesiewicz, it should not be out of place to observe that they have the very rare ability to dramatize their ideas rather than just talking about them. By making their points through the dramatic action of the story they gain the added power of allowing the audience to discover what's really going on rather than being told. They do this with such dazzling skill, you never see the ideas coming and don't realize until much later how profoundly they have reached your heart.

I've been trying to find "Hombre mirando al sudeste" (Man Facing Southeast) - no luck so far.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1191
Hey (my 1st post)...About to watch taxi driver...is it good?
Reply 1192
Original post by darthon

"You talkin' to me?"

Brilliant film :biggrin:
Reply 1193
Just finished watching Harry Potter, it was pretty good, really looking forward to the last one!

Also Emma Watson is just :coma: :love: Daniel Radcliffe is a lucky **** in that film, she was proper going for it as well, very jealous. :colonhash:
I intend to watch it tomorrow morning. :biggrin: I watched The Reckoning tonight, the premise is nothing new and I spotted the plot coming a mile away but it was enjoyable enough. Plus anything with Ashley Jensen in = sold.

Glad to hear it! Was thinking of trying to convince you to watch it. :tongue:

It's good. R-rated, big budget, fine selection of actors and a quality story. What could go wrong? And if you like the premise, then you should consider reading the series after Dark Tower. Many people mistake it for high fantasy in the same sense as Lord of the Rings, it's not. Even though it is set in a fantasy world with fantasy elements, they are all in the background. In the front is the complex political intrigue with several characters who have their own motivations, flaws and quite complex personalities. There is no 'good' or 'evil' - just shades of grey - which is part of what it makes it so good. And in that sense, it's far more superior to the characterisation and the cast types in something like Lord of the Rings. Think someone coined it as Lord of the Rings meets the Sopranos.

It has a lot of brutality, drama and there are real shocks everywhere (you'll learn that by the end of the first episode).

Original post by channy
Cheers dudes, it was utterly amazing. I'd post a few pictures and whatnot, but haven't got round to uploading them to my laptop yet. And we all know posting pictures of yourself on the internet can only lead to disaster...

Trying to find the first episode now!

Game Of Thrones: don't believe the gripes

Don't listen to the naysayers George RR Martin's Game Of Thrones gets better and better with each episode

Ah well, good to hear you had a good time. Had to Google the place. :ninja:

It's good. :teeth:

Acting is top notch in some respects, most of the actors fit what I had in mind for the characters and the atmosphere as well as the quality of the drama is of a high calibre. There are of course omissions, changes and unnecessary scenes added in. And, doesn't live up entirely to the books but I'm happy with what is there. I want a wolf cub too. :puppyeyes:

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts after you've watched it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Original post by academic eric
It actually is...

My confession?

I've never watched Trainspotting. Is that as good as it's meant to be?

Original post by darthon

Yes, yes and yes.

Watch it, watch it and watch it.

:pierre:
Pride Prejudice and Zombies that should be interesting... saw news on Comingsoon.net that it's getting developed :indiff:

Who was it here that watches Entourage again, Unknownking right? There's gonna be a season 8 in summer and a movie... I'm still on S7 though
Has anyone heard of Le Violon rouge and Airbag (a film from Spain)? I've been trying to download them for months, hopefully I can watch them soon.

Glad to hear it! Was thinking of trying to convince you to watch it. :tongue:

It's good. R-rated, big budget, fine selection of actors and a quality story. What could go wrong? And if you like the premise, then you should consider reading the series after Dark Tower. Many people mistake it for high fantasy in the same sense as Lord of the Rings, it's not. Even though it is set in a fantasy world with fantasy elements, they are all in the background. In the front is the complex political intrigue with several characters who have their own motivations, flaws and quite complex personalities. There is no 'good' or 'evil' - just shades of grey - which is part of what it makes it so good. And in that sense, it's far more superior to the characterisation and the cast types in something like Lord of the Rings. Think someone coined it as Lord of the Rings meets the Sopranos.

It has a lot of brutality, drama and there are real shocks everywhere (you'll learn that by the end of the first episode).

I really enjoyed it, even if the separate elements all seem really disparate at the minute. Acting is really good, and the direction is absolutely spot on, the guy really knows how to frame shots.
I get headaches from 3-D movies and personally think this is the most ingenius idea ever!
http://www.2d-glasses.com/
Creator - Hank Green:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending