The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
True, it just addresses the league table scam.

Imo, scrap GCSEs/A-levels and bring in O-Levels/iGCSEs and the IB/Pre-Us.

Now you're talking.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
My point came after that statement.
Those results show his ability when he was 17. If he did brilliantly on his degree and pgce afterwards, THAT'S the reflection on his ability as an adult.

No CDDU student should be going to university.

Do you want CDDU students doing medicine, law, dentistry, engineering?
The teachers should be given big inflatable hammers and allowed to whack them on the head from across the classroom as in the popular fairground game "whack-a-mole."
Well clearly he got in with those grades and then improved immensely.

Shouldn't have happened.

Is it fair people are being FORCED into doss subjects to up the school's league table points?

And where did I say it is?

I'm just saying, as someone who is much much better at sciences, I know my results would have suffered if I had to also give the same concentration / effort to languages / english etc etc. I am very sure of that, and am pretty sure that if it wasn't for the fact I could concentrate on the sciences and maths, I would not be where I am now.
No CDDU student should be going to university.

Do you want CDDU students doing medicine, law, dentistry, engineering?

I already answered that question. Yes, because if they improve immensely at university and graduate with a very good grade like everyone else, they are just as good.
No. What YOU said, didn't relate to what I said.

Yes it's acceptable, as long as they went on to do very well at university and beyond.

:lolwut:

What CCDU student does well in a Medicine course?

Don't tell me, you find it acceptable for a CCDU student to go to Oxbridge?
Original post by PendulumBoB
Now you're talking.

Do wish the government were more elitist and didn't give a **** what those at the left of the wing said tbh.

Perhaps someone who had other issues during A levels that prevented them from giving their full attention to their studies?

Perhaps someone who is clever, but just didn't work during A levels.

Whatever you think, GCSE and A level results are not that important. They do not tell you if someone is intelligent or not. They do not tell you if someone is good enough to do a particular job.
Reply 529
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile. :h:

What I'm saying is, nothing further should be done. People who really do have detrimental impact on students education are punished. You'll just have to learn to deal with those who are merely annoying because they chat and may be inclined to pissing about. :u:

Hmmm... nice logic there! Oh, hold on a second... :rolleyes:
Original post by Reml
Expulsion - no need to educate people who don't want to be, its a waste of time and is detrimental to others learning

I agree with this wholly. People who do not have any intention to learn and stop others from learning is very unfair on the would-be learners. They should be expelled and made to do community service until 16, at which age they'd have left school anyway.
Original post by Jacke02
Privilege? When i walk past the bottom, bottom set of science GCSE, it sounds soooooooooooooooooooooo boring. If i was in their position, all i would do is mess about!
I hated school education untill gcse/sixth form.

Consider why they are in the bottom set to begin with; I'd say anyone in the bottom set has earned the privilege to be there.
Original post by WelshBluebird
And where did I say it is?

I'm just saying, as someone who is much much better at sciences, I know my results would have suffered if I had to also give the same concentration / effort to languages / english etc etc. I am very sure of that, and am pretty sure that if it wasn't for the fact I could concentrate on the sciences and maths, I would not be where I am now.

No. Bath would've dismissed poor grades in Languages/English because it has no relevant to your course.

That said, I don't care if you're "scientific" or not. You have to achieve a set level in English.
Well clearly he got in with those grades and then improved immensely.

OK... Mr. admissions officer

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzppp

(5 minutes later)

Aaaaah now you're in
:lolwut:

Don't tell me, you find it acceptable for a CCDU student to go to Oxbridge?

With hard work and dedication.
Sometimes bad grades aren't a reflection on ability, but on bad experiences and hindrances occuring. But that's only a side comment anyway.
I already answered that question. Yes, because if they improve immensely at university and graduate with a very good grade like everyone else, they are just as good.

There is a reason why universities have ENTRY REQUIREMENTS.

What if they don't? Waste of money.
Perhaps someone who had other issues during A levels that prevented them from giving their full attention to their studies?

Perhaps someone who is clever, but just didn't work during A levels.

Whatever you think, GCSE and A level results are not that important. They do not tell you if someone is intelligent or not. They do not tell you if someone is good enough to do a particular job.

What if they achieved CCDU because they just couldn't be bothered?
WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT MEDICINE OR OXBRIDGE WITH THOSE GRADES.

and i think youll find, im at uni, doing a professional degree, and i dont have those grades.

just because some flunked at exams means they shouldnt get a shot at following a career they love?

he is now teaching RE and philosophy.
up until he left the school, everyone liked him. he joined forces with inclusions, and he had a story many people could relate to!

my god calm down people!
No. Bath would've dismissed poor grades in Languages/English because it has no relevant to your course.

That said, I don't care if you're "scientific" or not. You have to achieve a set level in English.

But it would have meant I would have got poorer results in the sciences (as I would have had to concentrate more on the languages / english subjects that what I did).

What if they achieved CCDU because they just couldn't be bothered?

You seem to be tarring everyone who gets lower grades with the same brush, when in reality that just is not true.

And what if they go on to prove that they can be bothered by doing very well in a degree and postgrad.
(edited 13 years ago)
With hard work and dedication.
Sometimes bad grades aren't a reflection on ability, but on bad experiences and hindrances occuring. But that's only a side comment anyway.

I'm disgusted.

If they were hard working and were dedicated, they would never have achieved CCDU in the first place.
But it would have meant I would have got poorer results in the sciences (as I would have had to concentrate more on the languages / english subjects that what I did).

So you aren't able to balance a workload of a few GCSEs?

You're helping my argument, you're basically saying the introduction of the EBacc would make things harder. Good.
There is a reason why universities have ENTRY REQUIREMENTS.

What if they don't? Waste of money.

Yes. I'm not disputing entry requirements. Idiot.

My point was on the teacher that someone mentioned who didn't do well at A level, but did great after and became a GREAT teacher. Proves my point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending