The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603

Exam: 10th June.

This is a sort of revision thread for those taking the exam on the date listed above. Feel free to ask any questions or post any essays, historical sources, advice, etc.

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Alex-jc123
Exam: 10th June.

This is a sort of revision thread for those taking the exam on the date listed above. Feel free to ask any questions or post any essays, historical sources, advice, etc.

:smile:

Hunting out such a thread, I'm up for discussing any of the material and seeing how we can assist eachover.
Reply 2
Original post by rugbygreg
Hunting out such a thread, I'm up for discussing any of the material and seeing how we can assist eachover.

Ah, finally a person who is doing the same syllabus. I can assist you on religion, the Mid-Tudor Crisis and Elizabethan foreign policy. What are your strengths?
hurrah! I'm pretty good on Elizabeth's main objectives, and her perceived attitude towards foreign policy, religion and marriage and how far she did/didn't follow her original preferences.
Reply 4
Original post by MelissaJayne
hurrah! I'm pretty good on Elizabeth's main objectives, and her perceived attitude towards foreign policy, religion and marriage and how far she did/didn't follow her original preferences.

Hey, how are you? My revision has been very dry and limited so far to say the least :colondollar:

Do you think that Elizabethan foreign policy was successful between 1558 and 1571?
Reply 5
I did this exam in June last year, so much to learn for it & the questions were so confusing.
Reply 6
My strengths are the Mid Tudor crisis. domestic policy and governance, The final years of her reign (all the fuss with Essex and the factional rivalries).
Religion is my true weakness, purely because I find it by far the least interesting part of this era in history, especially when contrasted with the reformation that we studied last year which was far more dramatic.
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
I did this exam in June last year, so much to learn for it & the questions were so confusing.

Any gems you can offer us?
Reply 8
My strengths are the Mid Tudor crisis. domestic policy and governance, The final years of her reign (all the fuss with Essex and the factional rivalries).
Religion is my true weakness, purely because I find it by far the least interesting part of this era in history, especially when contrasted with the reformation that we studied last year which was far more dramatic.

So, if I agree to help you with religion, will you agree to help me with domestic policy and governance? :smile:
Reply 9
Any gems you can offer us?

Have you seen the June past paper? Also learn Historians oppinions- the offical textbook is full of these. I couldn't for the life of me remember who said what and ended up making it up in the exam which was my biggest downful. Also when revising split it into chunks- so go through the textbook, list the key points, quotes to support them. Makes it easier to manage. If you haven't got the textbook buy it yourself.
Hey, how are you? My revision has been very dry and limited so far to say the least :colondollar:

Do you think that Elizabethan foreign policy was successful between 1558 and 1571?

Hello you. I'm good, how are you? Mine has been much the same. I've been reading novels for leisure, rather than my history textbook. :colondollar:

I believe that during those years, her foreign policy was mildly successful. In that she was able to avoid going to war, especially with the massive changes she made within the country and her refusal to marry Philip, there could quite well have been a lot more trouble with Spain at this point then there was. I believe by not marrying elsewhere and not hastily killing Mary Queen of Scots straight off, she was able to avoid/delay this. Additionally, she improved our relations with France massively. (But it cannot be ignored that she officially lost Calais during this period of time - whig historians ignore this fact and tend to blame Mary for the loss, when it was actually Elizabeth who gave it over completely.) The negotiations to marry Duke of Anjou ensured civil terms. Additionally, trouble with Scotland was limited. I'd say her biggest dilemma was the way in which to deal with the situation in Holland. Due to her own opinions of royal prerogative, I don't feel she particularly wanted to be involved much at all, and this lack of aggression probably appeased the Spanish further. However, it was lucky that the Dutch did not fall out with us completely, as their support was eventually very important in the Armada.
So, if I agree to help you with religion, will you agree to help me with domestic policy and governance? :smile:

Sounds great, I'm just rereading the book while making detailed notes so I'm not going to be getting involved until I finished these (later in the week sometime) then I'll be clearer about the holes in my knowledge.
What grades are you guys going for?
Sounds great, I'm just rereading the book while making detailed notes so I'm not going to be getting involved until I finished these (later in the week sometime) then I'll be clearer about the holes in my knowledge.
What grades are you guys going for?

I want an A minimum. For the AS my ums points for exam 1 (civil rights) was 95/100 and for exam 2 (tudor britain) was 88/100. You?
I want an A minimum. For the AS my ums points for exam 1 (civil rights) was 95/100 and for exam 2 (tudor britain) was 88/100. You?

I'm looking for a B, I got 80/100 and 73/100 last year for the Reformation and Tudor Britain. My teacher doesn't teach us she simply sends us off to read through pages x-y and then do a PowerPoint on it which kills both any interest and any real learning hence why I'm having to go through the whole book to get my knowledge up to a strong level. My coursework should be a B so I'm looking at needing a C in this exam for a B overall although of course I want to get higher.
The joys of poor teaching mean I'll be aiming for A*A*B which is a strange old mix.
I'm looking for a B, I got 80/100 and 73/100 last year for the Reformation and Tudor Britain. My teacher doesn't teach us she simply sends us off to read through pages x-y and then do a PowerPoint on it which kills both any interest and any real learning hence why I'm having to go through the whole book to get my knowledge up to a strong level. My coursework should be a B so I'm looking at needing a C in this exam for a B overall although of course I want to get higher.
The joys of poor teaching mean I'll be aiming for A*A*B which is a strange old mix.

Respect to you for using your initiative, that'll serve you well and prepare you for what work will be like at University, and in the long-term, you may even look back on it as good practice that offers a later advantage. (trying to find a silver lining in there somewhere!)

What are you doing your coursework enquiry on? And to which Uni have you applied for what course? I'm sure those grades will be more than sufficient.
Respect to you for using your initiative, that'll serve you well and prepare you for what work will be like at University, and in the long-term, you may even look back on it as good practice that offers a later advantage. (trying to find a silver lining in there somewhere!)

What are you doing your coursework enquiry on? And to which Uni have you applied for what course? I'm sure those grades will be more than sufficient.

I did my enquiry on the Liberal Social Reforms studying policy both before and after them to see how inductive they were of the wider time era (1851-1951).
I'm off in September to The University of Sheffield to study Economics and Management grades pending :wink:
How about yourself?
Reply 16
Hello you. I'm good, how are you? Mine has been much the same. I've been reading novels for leisure, rather than my history textbook. :colondollar:

I believe that during those years, her foreign policy was mildly successful. In that she was able to avoid going to war, especially with the massive changes she made within the country and her refusal to marry Philip, there could quite well have been a lot more trouble with Spain at this point then there was. I believe by not marrying elsewhere and not hastily killing Mary Queen of Scots straight off, she was able to avoid/delay this. Additionally, she improved our relations with France massively. (But it cannot be ignored that she officially lost Calais during this period of time - whig historians ignore this fact and tend to blame Mary for the loss, when it was actually Elizabeth who gave it over completely.) The negotiations to marry Duke of Anjou ensured civil terms. Additionally, trouble with Scotland was limited. I'd say her biggest dilemma was the way in which to deal with the situation in Holland. Due to her own opinions of royal prerogative, I don't feel she particularly wanted to be involved much at all, and this lack of aggression probably appeased the Spanish further. However, it was lucky that the Dutch did not fall out with us completely, as their support was eventually very important in the Armada.

I am also good :smile: I have been doing a fair amount of LAW04 revision and have just been doing the religious aspects of the history syllabus. I think I am fine on religion and just need to focus on foreign policy :tongue:

She did go to war twice; once in 1560 to kick the French out of Scotland, and again in 1563 to try and support the French Protestants. I think that towards 1571 England was in a relatively secure stance though. The Auld Alliance had effectively ended due to Scotland's Protestant government repudiating French support, and Anglo-French relations were improving to counter the inevitable threat of Spain. However, Douai College had been established in 1568 which meant that international Catholic conspiracies were beginning in this era, starting in 1571 with the Ridolfi Plot involving Philip II, the Duke of Norfolk, an obscure Italian banker and Mary Stuart.

blablabla haha. I will kick into revision full-time when I go back. I will have to be an utter geek in the library haha :cool:
Reply 17

Ah, we got roughly the same for AS overall UMS then. I got 97/100 for Tudor England and 83/100 for German history.

You have the exact same UMS scores I did for AS. I also got a B for my coursework, and only got a D in the exam and still got a B overall so you should only need a D for a B overall. Remember quotes (or paraphrasing if you cant remember the quote) to back up your points.
Original post by jelly1000
You have the exact same UMS scores I did for AS. I also got a B for my coursework, and only got a D in the exam and still got a B overall so you should only need a D for a B overall. Remember quotes (or paraphrasing if you cant remember the quote) to back up your points.

Ah yeah I just checked my UMS thing and I can afford to get a D, the stronger the B for my coursework the weaker the D I can afford. I'll bare that advice in mind.

Why have I been negged for this???
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest