The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emaemmaemily
You don't know if the WILL imrpove, but if they don't they will fail their degree (or get a **** grade) and therefore will get no where in the industry.

Clearly you enjoy being stupid... Do you not wonder why so many people neg rep you? It's because while you MAY be smart academically you are very ignorant about life and seriously say some thigns that make NO sense.

I'm going because I would like to enjoy my evening.

imsoacademic is a realist and you are an idealist; unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world with infinite resources and where everyone will turn out well in the end.
Original post by Josh_Dey
They should send the disturbance out. :hubba:

Step inside my office laddie, I'm making you Head Boy...
Reply 562
Original post by limetang
I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

Anyway I was wondering what other students opinions were.

Coporal punishment.
Original post by PendulumBoB
Step inside my office laddie, I'm making you Head Boy...

About time! :banana2:
Original post by im so academic
:lolwut: What?

If the student continually disturbs the class, and therefore makes learning more difficult, the student should be sent out. Simples. :cool:
Original post by .Ali.
Coporal punishment.

Cool, send in the army to deal with the problem; that'll learn 'em
Original post by Emaemmaemily
You don't know if the WILL imrpove, but if they don't they will fail their degree (or get a **** grade) and therefore will get no where in the industry.

Retake your A-levels then.

Clearly you enjoy being stupid... Do you not wonder why so many people neg rep you? It's because while you MAY be smart academically you are very ignorant about life and seriously say some thigns that make NO sense.

Yes, because you are always right yourself.
Original post by .Ali.
Coporal punishment.

Agreed. I second that.
Reply 568
Agreed. I second that.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30940727

We're debating whether or not it would be useful on chavs, you should join in. :tongue: Although some people don't seem to know what a 'chav' is. :facepalm2:
Original post by .Ali.

Original post by .Ali.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30940727

We're debating whether or not it would be useful on chavs, you should join in. :tongue: Although some people don't seem to know what a 'chav' is. :facepalm2:

Seriously?! :facepalm2:
Reply 570
Seriously?! :facepalm2:

Yup. I said that chavs say "oryte m8" and some silly idiot took it as "insult to every working class person". :facepalm2: It's not about poor people and rich people, it's about common decency ffs.
Reply 571
Jesus wept look at these two ^^^

Unbelievable Jeff - The nightmare two.:wink:
Reply 572
Original post by .Ali.
Coporal punishment.

It's not that effective, at least it certainly wasn't in my case. I was on the receiving end of the slipper while still in infants' school (granted, I did spill a whole crate of milk while using the trolley it was transported between classes on as a go-cart). I couldn't tell you how many times I had the slipper, caine and strap (on hands and backside) before I even got to comprehensive school. By that time the further usage of such instruments of 'discipline' just made me laugh, and tended just to humiliate the teachers who didn't know what to do with a student who continue to bend over or hold his hand out untill they had had enough. 'Passive aggression' I think it's called these days. The worst of such weapons was called the 'ouch stick' which was, essentially, a hand-crafted cricket bat used by one of our woodwork teachers and on which the word 'OUCH' was chalked in reverse for the benefit of appearance on the victim's pants. That one really did hurt and it was difficult to stop your eyes watering such was the pain. And it was impossible to sit down for the remainder of the day after the ouch-stick (you had to fold your arms on the desk and just pretend to sit down, lol ). Yet even this didn't deter me, if anything it only made me more willing to defy authority and much less easily intimidated by the threat of physical force.

In some ways I think it did me a favour as I certainly didn't leave school a weakling after all that violence against me - the problem is that some students might easily have been humiliated and mentally squashed by it and suffered for the remainder of their life, different people react differently to these things.
Reply 573
Original post by Oswy
It's not that effective, at least it certainly wasn't in my case. I was on the receiving end of the slipper while still in infants' school (granted, I did spill a whole crate of milk while using the trolley it was transported between classes on as a go-cart). I couldn't tell you how many times I had the slipper, caine and strap (on hands and backside) before I even got to comprehensive school. By that time the further usage of such instruments of 'discipline' just made me laugh, and tended just to humiliate the teachers who didn't know what to do with a student who continue to bend over or hold his hand out untill they had had enough. 'Passive aggression' I think it's called these days. The worst of such weapons was called the 'ouch stick' which was, essentially, a hand-crafted cricket bat used by one of our woodwork teachers and on which the word 'OUCH' was chalked in reverse for the benefit of appearance on the victim's pants. That one really did hurt and it was difficult to stop your eyes watering such was the pain. And it was impossible to sit down for the remainder of the day after the ouch-stick (you had to fold your arms on the desk and just pretend to sit down, lol ). Yet even this didn't deter me, if anything it only made me more willing to defy authority and much less easily intimidated by the threat of physical force.

In some ways I think it did me a favour as I certainly didn't leave school a weakling after all that violence against me - the problem is that some students might easily have been humiliated and mentally squashed by it and suffered for the remainder of their life, different people react differently to these things.

It doesn't work in every case, but it does in some. It also allows the victim (if it's bullying/abuse or whatever) to feel that justice has been done. It's a deterrant to the 'minor offendors' (the kids who aren't really bad, the one's who just go too far sometimes) and the hardcore bad ones get what they deserve. In my opinion, it seems quite a good thing.
Reply 574
Original post by .Ali.
It doesn't work in every case, but it does in some. It also allows the victim (if it's bullying/abuse or whatever) to feel that justice has been done. It's a deterrant to the 'minor offendors' (the kids who aren't really bad, the one's who just go too far sometimes) and the hardcore bad ones get what they deserve. In my opinion, it seems quite a good thing.

Looking back I was given corporal punishment for pretty trivial things; reading comics under my desk was a regular I seem to remember, lol I once got the slipper for selling elastic bands to other children so they could flick stones at a bin in the playground that had become something of a wasp's nest, bizarre I know. That was my last venture into petty capitalism :tongue: I would even sometimes own up to doing things I hadn't so that, just to relieve the boredom, I would be summoned to the front of the class for a caining. To the extent that corporal punishment has an effect it's probably on the meeker children, reinforcing their unwillingness to do or say anything which would upset the authorities.
In regard to corporal punishment, personally I'd suggest it would do the opposite to what you want.
You tend to find that violence results in more violence. People who are subject to violence are taught that violence is the answer, and so use it themselves. Certainly when I was in school, the people who would hit others for no reason etc etc (the chavs if you like) were often the ones who come from violent families.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 576
Original post by Oswy
Looking back I was given corporal punishment for pretty trivial things; reading comics under my desk was a regular I seem to remember, lol I once got the slipper for selling elastic bands to other children so they could flick stones at a bin in the playground that had become something of a wasp's nest, bizarre I know. That was my last venture into petty capitalism :tongue: I would even sometimes own up to doing things I hadn't so that, just to relieve the boredom, I would be summoned to the front of the class for a caining. To the extent that corporal punishment has an effect it's probably on the meeker children, reinforcing their unwillingness to do or say anything which would upset the authorities.

Okay that's ridiculous! I wouldn't use it for anything like that, I'd use it for when students were threatening teachers, being abusive, bullying others, or were repeating minor things a lot. Not for selling rubber bands! :lolwut:

If it was only used for serious 'crimes' so to speak, hopefully the meeker children won't be put down as they won't be the ones comitting the crimes. I was thinking it should be used on the hardcore 'chav' students who have no respect for anyone or anything.
Original post by WelshBluebird
In regard to corporal punishment, personally I'd suggest it would do the opposite to what you want.
You tend to find that violence results in more violence. People who are subject to violence are taught that violence is the answer, and so use it themselves. Certainly when I was in school, the people who would hit others for no reason were often the ones who come from violent families.

Do you think a nice little chat would iron them out; if anything they would see it as getting away with their crime.
Do you think a nice little chat would iron them out; if anything they would see it as getting away with their crime.

I'm not saying that I know what the solution is.
Just that violence could easily do the opposite of what you want it to do.
Reply 579

Exactly, and that's what happens. People have an attitude of "I'm untouchable, you can't do anything about it, I'll do what i want!" and it needs to stop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending