The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrEboueEmmanuel
I think Wenger ma have lost the dressing, it seems the players are not afraid to make mistakes as they do time and time agian, and Wenger blames the refs instead of the players. He should blame the players. Also we lack leadership, we need a captain who will shout at everyone, as Cesc clearly lacks passion. Hopefully Kroenke saw the problems today and will force Wenger to spend in the summer.

Agreed, at one point Cesc was seen a a prominent figure for the Arsenal squad but his hunger and strive to lead his team seems to have been on a rapid decline recently, especially after watching you his fellow teammates flop in the Carling Cup final. Vidic, Gerrard, Puyol and Ledley King are all examples of 'decent' captians in my opinion, to be honest I think Fabregas just wants to gtfo of Arsenal and play in the La Liga because quite frankly, Arsenal seems to be playing mediocre nowadays days and the empty trophy cabinet doesn't help.
Now that I've calmed down, I think I can make a real response.

The defence looked strong today, a couple of near **** ups, but that was to be expected with Djourou just returning. Goalkeeping looks secure the Shezza, and I think with Mannone and Fabianski as back ups next season, it should be fine. Almunia needs to go though.

We had no real leadership today, AGAIN! Failed to make our possession and chances turn into goals, typical. Liverpool defended well, and even though I think they shouldn't have had a penalty, that's football. We can't go on blaming the refs for every game, we should have been out of sight in the first half and we paid the price for our sloppiness.

We need a motivator, we need a leader, and we need to be clinical when the stakes are this high. I love Wenger, but a major overhaul is needed if we truly want win trophies.
Fair to say I had a **** weekend.

Broke my leg on saturday morning then come home on Sunday to see an abject attacking performance from Arsenal.

5 shots on target from 15 attempts is not nearly good enough.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Fair to say I had a **** weekend.

Broke my leg on saturday morning then come home on Sunday to see an abject attacking performance from Arsenal.

5 shots on target from 15 attempts is not nearly good enough.

How did you break your leg? Is it a bad break?

Dude, get better soon. You should have won yesterday but didn't. Been the case too many times this season for Arsenal. Not clinical enough in front of goal, trying to pass it into the net all too often. It's very naive and too idealistic.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
How did you break your leg? Is it a bad break?

Dude, get better soon. You should have won yesterday but didn't. Been the case too many times this season for Arsenal. Not clinical enough in front of goal, trying to pass it into the net all too often. It's very naive and too idealistic.

Turned round a corner while walking and my ankle gave way, broke that worse than my leg, but I'm away from doing any sport until at least January.
Original post by white_haired_wizard
It's very naive and too idealistic

I think that sums up Arsenal perfectly.
Reply 8446
Turned round a corner while walking and my ankle gave way, broke that worse than my leg, but I'm away from doing any sport until at least January.

Get better soon. :console:

I was incredibly frustrated with Diaby yesterday, he persistently held on to the ball for far too long and thus makes it much easier for the other team to stop our attack. He also renders the concept of counter-attacking useless in the process.

As to the trying-to-pass-it-into-the-net argument, I'm beginning to think it's a by-product of the style of football we play: we keep possession for long periods, probing around for gaps. This forces most of the other team to retreat and attempt to make sure there are no gaps. Seven to nine players behind the ball, however, are not simply going to block the way: the support they have in defence makes it easier for some players to close our players down. Thus, our players must keep on passing the ball, not only to look for gaps, but also to keep possession. And, needless to say, the number of bodies makes it almost impossible for our players to take a decent shot at goal.

This basically occurred to me because watching the game yesterday, I realized that most of the time, the players were not refraining from shooting simply in the name of art or whatever, but because there was very little space to actually do so (though of course there were a couple of occasions where I thought one of our players would have done better if he had shot rather than moved the ball along. My point is that this wasn't as often or as blatant as the number of times it seemed to me that our players could not shoot in the given circumstances). I also think that this is why players like Nasri, who has become rather adept at beating his man, van Persie, and Walcott with his pace did so well in front of goal at times this season.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft
Get better soon. :console:

I was incredibly frustrated with Diaby yesterday, he hold on to the ball for far too long and thus makes it much easier for the other team to stop our attack. He also renders the concept of counter-attacking useless in the process.

As to the trying-to-pass-it-into-the-net argument, I'm beginning to think it's a by-product of the style of football we play: we keep possession for long periods, probing around for gaps. This forces most of the other team to retreat and attempt to make sure there are no gaps. Seven to nine players behind the ball, however, are not simply going to block the way: the support they have in defence makes it easier for some players to close our players down. Thus, our players must keep on passing the ball, not only to look for gaps, but also to keep possession. And, needless to say, the number of bodies makes it almost impossible for our players to take a decent shot at goal.

This basically occurred to me because watching the game yesterday, I realized that most of the time, the players were not refraining from shooting simply in the name of art or whatever, but because there was very little space to actually do so (though of course there were a couple of occasions where I thought one of our players would have done better if he had shot rather than moved the ball along. My point is that this wasn't as often or as blatant as the number of times it seemed to me that our players could not shoot in the given circumstances). I also think that this is why players like Nasri, who has become rather adept at beating his man, van Persie, and Walcott with his pace did so well in front of goal at times this season.

great analysis and I agree. I think we could improve our counter attacking game greatly. We could and indeed have been devastating in the counter. Even barca were ripped wide open by our counter attacking game. We simply hold on to the ball for too long instead of shifting it about quickly like real madrid do at times. I do blame people like diaby for that, we just need to shift the ball around the pitch quicker instead of dithering on the ball.
I cried last night... is that bad thing ? :frown:

Arsenal were **** for 90mins

Nasri and Walcott could not outplay a bunch of inexperienced teenagers.

We had 62% of the possession, what did we do with it?

We had 5 shots on goal the whole match, so did Liverpool.

We conceded a useless penalty in the 102nd minute, players indifferent.

Wenger is a **** for reacting like a child, embarrass our club.

The worst part of it all; we won't learn a singly lesson from this.

Reply 8450
Original post by In2deep

Arsenal were **** for 90mins

I strongly disagree. In most of the first half in particular, we looked excellent imo.

Nasri and Walcott could not outplay a bunch of inexperienced teenagers.

Credit to the teenagers, but I do think that both Nasri and Walcott had pretty good games.

We had 62% of the possession, what did we do with it?
We had 5 shots on goal the whole match, so did Liverpool.

This, we need to improve on. But I'd also point out that we were pressing very well at some points, and that Liverpool defended very well.

We conceded a useless penalty in the 102nd minute, players indifferent.

Who was indifferent? Some of them (Eboue, RVP) looked distraught to me.

Wenger is a **** for reacting like a child, embarrass our club.

I assume you're referring to the spat with Daglish, and I'm also unhappy with the way he reacted. It says plenty about his caring for the club and all, but it was unprofessional to turn on the opposition manager like that, almost as if he had instructed his players to play for 'intelligent' penalties.
On a different note, here are some goals and assists by Ryo Miyaichi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgoJHRt8yMc&feature=feedu

He looks quite good and different to what we have now.

You don't play for a team affiliated with Arsenal by any chance do you? Just seems like a typical injury to me.
Reply 8453
With the Wenger reaction thing. He does it often, as does Pellegrini, as did Capello. I think Wenger and Pellegrini learnt it from Capello. The theory behind it is, after a damaging blow, you do something controversial, and take the media attention at the end of the game away from the players and onto yourself. Not saying it always works, and not saying it is the right thing to do, but Mourinho has also started to do it. I think people are being overly critical.
Original post by R.J. Omega
You don't play for a team affiliated with Arsenal by any chance do you? Just seems like a typical injury to me.

Was that supposed to be funny?
Was that supposed to be funny?

Not really, it's just ironic that an Arsenal fan is as injury prone as the actual players.
Cant wait till the next match....hope it wont be as retarded as our recent matches
Sad that I almost agree with Kenny dalglishes comment towards Wenger, ah well
I am not confident about the NLD on Wednesday :colonhash:
Original post by badger-man
I am not confident about the NLD on Wednesday :colonhash:

no **** :frown:

Latest