The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecosse_14
If you mean by cutting it a bit fine for getting to the visiting day.. you don't need to arrive at 9am or quarter past or whatever. People are still arriving by 11:30am.

In my opinion 11.30 is ridic, unless you live nearby/ have visited before... My rents already forked out 200 quid for trains and its a 10h journey, so we wanna soak up as much of the uni/ town as possible! :tongue:

All tours should stop outside the library (via Butts Wynd) and half the tours should stop outside the union. You don't go inside them though.

Does this mean the tour guides don't take us inside, but that we can go ourselves?

Also I forgot to ask, how cold/ rainy is it over there on Tues/ Wed? I'm guessing very
(edited 13 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 5721
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx

Does this mean the tour guides don't take us inside, but that we can go ourselves?

Yes, when I visited St A's, I could go into both the library and the union. I even had lunch in the union (and bought a lovely St A's t-shirt:tongue:). It was good to see the library too, as we'll probably spend a lot of time there :smile:
In my opinion 11.30 is ridic, unless you live nearby/ have visited before... My rents already forked out 200 quid for trains and its a 10h journey, so we wanna soak up as much of the uni/ town as possible! :tongue:

Also I forgot to ask, how cold/ rainy is it over there on Tues/ Wed? I'm guessing very

I was just emphasisng you don't need to arrive to register 9am on the dot :tongue: Tours won't start leaving till about 9:30 anyway.
No, the tour guide won't take you inside and you might not get to go by the union but you're free to go in and have a wander about :smile:

Oh, and em, I can't predict the weather? :s-smilie: lol
Reply 5723
Original post by Sappho
Yes, when I visited St A's, I could go into both the library and the union. I even had lunch in the union (and bought a lovely St A's t-shirt:tongue:). It was good to see the library too, as we'll probably spend a lot of time there :smile:

You'll get to hang out in the classics library. It's so much nicer. And there's a better selection of books because first years seem to think it's some sort of crime to enter.
Reply 5724

The weather has been really nice since we got back and in all honestly, it really does not rain here very often. and as far as I know, it's going to continue to be nice this week.
Reply 5725
Original post by Oh-WOW
You'll get to hang out in the classics library. It's so much nicer. And there's a better selection of books because first years seem to think it's some sort of crime to enter.

Luckily, I've already been there once, so maybe it won't be so much of an overcoming to enter it again :smile:
It's true that it's awesome :suith:
Original post by Oh-WOW
The weather has been really nice since we got back and in all honestly, it really does not rain here very often. and as far as I know, it's going to continue to be nice this week.

Yesterday was AMAZING :awesome:
I really hope the weather is good on Wednesday.. maybe I'll be touring to Uni Hall in the sunshine :biggrin: :tongue:
Reply 5727
Original post by Sappho
Luckily, I've already been there once, so maybe it won't be so much of an overcoming to enter it again :smile:
It's true that it's awesome :suith:

The Medieval history one is nicer though. That feels a bit blasphemous....
The Classics one does have nice views.
It's pretty sad that I have to drop either Ancient or Medieval history next semester and will have to give up one of my lovely, lovely libaries.
Reply 5728
Original post by Oh-WOW
The Medieval history one is nicer though. That feels a bit blasphemous....
The Classics one does have nice views.
It's pretty sad that I have to drop either Ancient or Medieval history next semester and will have to give up one of my lovely, lovely libaries.

Oh, which subject will you take instead then?
Where is the Medieval History library actually? Is it anywhere near the School of Classics?
Reply 5729
Original post by Sappho
Oh, which subject will you take instead then?
Where is the Medieval History library actually? Is it anywhere near the School of Classics?

It's in St Marys Quad on South Street, so no, not really. But it is my favourite part of St Andrews.

Er I'm stuck atm. Perhaps Classical studies, beginners Latin/Greek, or maybe beginners Russian. Really not sure.
Reply 5730
Original post by Oh-WOW
It's in St Marys Quad on South Street, so no, not really. But it is my favourite part of St Andrews.

Er I'm stuck atm. Perhaps Classical studies, beginners Latin/Greek, or maybe beginners Russian. Really not sure.

Hehe, I think it goes without saying what I'd advise you, so you should rather not ask me :wink:
But I have to admit that Russian is pretty interesting as well. How did you get the idea of doing Russian? Is there a special link to Ancient or Medieval History? I've always wanted to learn Russian because my grandmother is Russian, but somehow I always thought I should rather learn some languages with a link to my studies. And then, one day, I'll probably learn some Russian as well. Thank the gods I'm still young :tongue:
Reply 5731
Original post by Sappho
Hehe, I think it goes without saying what I'd advise you, so you should rather not ask me :wink:
But I have to admit that Russian is pretty interesting as well. How did you get the idea of doing Russian? Is there a special link to Ancient or Medieval History? I've always wanted to learn Russian because my grandmother is Russian, but somehow I always thought I should rather learn some languages with a link to my studies. And then, one day, I'll probably learn some Russian as well. Thank the gods I'm still young :tongue:

Nope. no link, as far as I know. Might have a link to Modern History (my other module). Just thought it seems interesting and I should make use of all the modules at St Andrews that I would never have been able to learn at school.
I think atm it's between classical studies and beginners Latin. and then I can still keep using both libraries :smile:
Reply 5732
Original post by Oh-WOW
Nope. no link, as far as I know. Might have a link to Modern History (my other module). Just thought it seems interesting and I should make use of all the modules at St Andrews that I would never have been able to learn at school.
I think atm it's between classical studies and beginners Latin. and then I can still keep using both libraries.

That's an argument :smile:

Beginners' Latin (:suith:) is a very good choice :yes:
Reply 5733
Original post by Sappho
That's an argument :smile:

Beginners' Latin (:suith:) is a very good choice :yes:

Perhaps I will see you in the classics library. Though to be fair, I would have no idea it was you. TSR is like having a secret identity.
Though if there is a TSR meet up in freshers perhaps I will then know who you are.
Reply 5734
Original post by Oh-WOW
Perhaps I will see you in the classics library. Though to be fair, I would have no idea it was you. TSR is like having a secret identity.
Though if there is a TSR meet up in freshers perhaps I will then know who you are.

I'm into TSR meet ups! I've already met a few people whom I've got to know on here even though I don't even live in the UK :biggrin:
What about a TSR society :tongue:

PS: I'm the one with the owl necklace, it's Athena's owl of wisdom (It might work, I believe^^)
(edited 13 years ago)
Would I get in for Economics
GCSE's:
Geography: A*
Science: A*
Additional Science: A*
History:A*
Citizenship: A (Short course)
Philosophy: A* (Short course)
English lang: B
English lit: B
Maths: A
French: C
For my A-Levels I will take:
Maths
Biology
Geography
Economics
Then if I get the required grades for at A-Level.
Reply 5736
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Would I get in for Economics
GCSE's:
Geography: A*
Science: A*
Additional Science: A*
History:A*
Citizenship: A (Short course)
Philosophy: A* (Short course)
English lang: B
English lit: B
Maths: A
French: C
For my A-Levels I will take:
Maths
Biology
Geography
Economics
Then if I get the required grades for at A-Level.

You have good grades but we aren't admission tutors.
What are you applying for?
It's not just about grades you need a good personal statement. There are plenty of examples of people on this forum with good grades who get rejected. We really can't tell what will happen but I think you should def apply.
Reply 5737
Original post by Sappho
I'm into TSR meet ups! I've already met a few people whom I've got to know on here even though I don't even live in the UK :biggrin:
What about a TSR society :tongue:

PS: I'm the one with the owl necklace, it's Athena's owl of wisdom (It might work, I believe^^)

I hope it works out next year. Everyone was so busy in freshers this year that it never really happened. A TSR society would be lovely but I think societies are pretty difficult to set up.

Er I don't have many distinctive features. Other than bright red dyed hair. but I might not even have that next year.
Original post by Oh-WOW
You have good grades but we aren't admission tutors.
What are you applying for?
It's not just about grades you need a good personal statement. There are plenty of examples of people on this forum with good grades who get rejected. We really can't tell what will happen but I think you should def apply.

Economics. Because my maths isn't that great. (GCSE)
Reply 5739
Original post by Oh-WOW
I hope it works out next year. Everyone was so busy in freshers this year that it never really happened. A TSR society would be lovely but I think societies are pretty difficult to set up.

Er I don't have many distinctive features. Other than bright red dyed hair. but I might not even have that next year.

I just thought: I'll visit St Andrews a second time, on a weekend in May, do you think you'll be in St A's then? If you have a little motivation, we could meet up then, and you could show me the Medieval History library :smile: PM me, if you like, then I can write you the date. I promise not to take too much time from you :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending