The Student Room Group

--
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's best you don't mention it. Emphasise your strengths. If you can't cope in uni you could always see the Disability Counsellor later, once you have already enrolled.
Reply 2
I have Aspergers Syndrome and I got offerd from all 5 of the universities I applied to so I certainlly was not disadvantaged because of it.

Legally they cannot descriminate against you.
I would certainly recommend you do put it on your application, it just means they can give you extra support if you ever require it. It is best that they know I think.
Original post by Maigre
I have Aspergers Syndrome and I got offerd from all 5 of the universities I applied to so I certainlly was not disadvantaged because of it.

Legally they cannot descriminate against you.
I would certainly recommend you do put it on your application, it just means they can give you extra support if you ever require it. It is best that they know I think.

Same here. I also possess a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome and it isn't obvious to other people. I mentioned it anyway to be safe, and it didn't affect the chances of me receiving offers.
If it truly doesn't affect your communication and social skills then it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know whether you have to write a little extra statement with your disability information on the UCAS form or whether it's something for the reference, but it definitely needs mentioning on some part of the form that it won't impair your ability to practice as a doctor.
Original post by OL1V3R
Same here. I also possess a mild form of Asperger's Syndrome and it isn't obvious to other people. I mentioned it anyway to be safe, and it didn't affect the chances of me receiving offers.

Maths is different to medicine - it obviously doesn't matter if people can't tell there's anything different, but if the Asperger's is causing your communication skills or your ability to understand social consequences of illness or treatment then it's going to impact your ability to practice as a doctor. It's not discrimination on the basis of the disability, but on the suitability of the course.
Medicine may have additional forms that means it will come to light, but you're actually under no obligation to mention a disability on your UCAS form. It's advised you inform your university so they can made arrangements if needed, but that could be at any stage or, if you wish, never.
I don't really see why it should affect your chances of getting into medicine if you obtain the required grades and your communication skills are good.

I think asperger's syndrome generally wears down as the years go by, but I think it's worth mentioning somewhere in your UCAS form and maybe get re-assessed if you feel that's necessary. Shouldn't lower your chances though.
Aspergers is lifelong, sorry to say :smile: so you might get 'mild Aspergers' instead of just plain Aspergers put down on your records, but it'll still be there, I doubt you can act so well that they can't pick up on anything.
I too would like to be rid of mine.
Hmm...I'm feeling a bit too negative today! Sorry.

Don't they have a disabilities act that stops them from excluding people on that sort of basis? I think so.
Reply 9
Original post by chinaberry
Aspergers is lifelong, sorry to say :smile: so you might get 'mild Aspergers' instead of just plain Aspergers put down on your records, but it'll still be there, I doubt you can act so well that they can't pick up on anything.
I too would like to be rid of mine.
Hmm...I'm feeling a bit too negative today! Sorry.

Don't they have a disabilities act that stops them from excluding people on that sort of basis? I think so.

The innate differences in thinking, social perception, etc. are lifelong, but you can learn to overcome them so well that at one point you may no longer meet the diagnostic criteria (since the criteria are behavior-based). In fact, this may be the case for up to 1/5 of those with an early childhood diagnosis (and intervention, obviously). And there is no "mild Asperger's", not officially.
Someone at my old school got into Cambridge to study medicine and I'm pretty sure he had Asperger's syndrome. He met most of the diagnostic criteria.
Original post by Peregrinum
The innate differences in thinking, social perception, etc. are lifelong, but you can learn to overcome them so well that at one point you may no longer meet the diagnostic criteria (since the criteria are behavior-based). In fact, this may be the case for up to 1/5 of those with an early childhood diagnosis (and intervention, obviously). And there is no "mild Asperger's", not officially.

Yes, but you know when someone is a little odd. You can't hide the flinches or the tics or the withdrawal. You may think you look perfectly normal, but especially to someone who's been trained to identify AS, you won't. I realise you can't base a diagnosis on these little signs and that the OP was asking if his diagnosis would change, but I was just making the point that Aspergers is always going to be a pervasive developmental disorder (so, my underlying point is that it's going to be a bit of a lie) regardless of its recognition or non recognition. :smile:
And on your records, it can say 'mild' or not. Plus in terms of personal statements and things, your tutor can say 'mild'.

I think I'll put mine down on a uni form. Or my tutor will. Because it does interfere with school and stuff. But then I shan't be doing medicine.
Original post by hss123
Do you know if he declared it on his UCAS form?

I'm afraid I don't know, sorry :frown:
Yes, but you know when someone is a little odd. You can't hide the flinches or the tics or the withdrawal. You may think you look perfectly normal, but especially to someone who's been trained to identify AS, you won't. I realise you can't base a diagnosis on these little signs and that the OP was asking if his diagnosis would change, but I was just making the point that Aspergers is always going to be a pervasive developmental disorder (so, my underlying point is that it's going to be a bit of a lie) regardless of its recognition or non recognition. :smile:
And on your records, it can say 'mild' or not. Plus in terms of personal statements and things, your tutor can say 'mild'.

I think I'll put mine down on a uni form. Or my tutor will. Because it does interfere with school and stuff. But then I shan't be doing medicine.

Yes, like I said - the differences in thinking, social perception, etc. are lifelong, but they don't have to be apparent. You can't diagnose Asperger's with brain scans or blood tests or something, it's all behavior-based and this is why you are diagnosed when the signs are apparent and are disrupting normal functioning. This is also why, at some point after a lot of help, you may no longer be eligible for the diagnosis. And I'm not talking about what a person with AS thinks of his/her condition, but what a trained professional thinks because they are the ones to make a diagnosis (or not). And according to research, about 20% of AS kids actually "grow out" of the disorder, meaning that at some point in adulthood they no longer have the signs and difficulties of AS. If that's the case then I see no reason to shout about that long-lost diagnosis. If it's not relevant, if it doesn't affect you in any obvious way then what would be the point in saying that you've been diagnosed with it? People won't care that your brain is a bit different if you still act pretty much like anyone else.

That having been said I'm not advising against disclosing your AS. Going to university is a big change and it can bring about difficulties you didn't even know you had or it can cause "old and resolved" difficulties to resurface. Universities can't discriminate based on disability and so I think it would be good to disclose your AS. As far as I know, all medical students have to fill out some sort of fitness to practice questionnaires and/or see occupational health people for that purpose so if they say you're OK to practice medicine then your AS won't be an obstacle.

OP: If you want to find out whether you still meet the diagnostic criteria then you'll probably have to have a re-evaluation of AS. If you've had the same doctor pretty much since you were diagnosed then s/he might be able to tell without a full assessment.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Peregrinum
Yes, like I said - the differences in thinking, social perception, etc. are lifelong, but they don't have to be apparent. You can't diagnose Asperger's with brain scans or blood tests or something, it's all behavior-based and this is why you are diagnosed when the signs are apparent and are disrupting normal functioning. This is also why, at some point after a lot of help, you may no longer be eligible for the diagnosis. And I'm not talking about what a person with AS thinks of his/her condition, but what a trained professional thinks because they are the ones to make a diagnosis (or not). And according to research, about 20% of AS kids actually "grow out" of the disorder, meaning that at some point in adulthood they no longer have the signs and difficulties of AS. If that's the case then I see no reason to shout about that long-lost diagnosis. If it's not relevant, if it doesn't affect you in any obvious way then what would be the point in saying that you've been diagnosed with it? People won't care that your brain is a bit different if you still act pretty much like anyone else.

All makes sense!
Well, the 20% of kids who "grow out of Aspergers" probably weren't diagnosed correctly in the first place. But that's a heated debate for another time :smile:
All makes sense!
Well, the 20% of kids who "grow out of Aspergers" probably weren't diagnosed correctly in the first place. But that's a heated debate for another time :smile:

:facepalm: You do not have to be incorrectly diagnosed to show significant improvements over time! By that logic no treatable disease would ever be real.
Original post by Maigre
I have Aspergers Syndrome and I got offerd from all 5 of the universities I applied to so I certainlly was not disadvantaged because of it..

There is probably a slight difference between medicine and archaeology.

If OP is worried about his aspergers, he could always become a vascular surgeon.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Rob da Mop
Maths is different to medicine - it obviously doesn't matter if people can't tell there's anything different, but if the Asperger's is causing your communication skills or your ability to understand social consequences of illness or treatment then it's going to impact your ability to practice as a doctor. It's not discrimination on the basis of the disability, but on the suitability of the course.

I would check this out - as I can imagine Universities don't want to be embroiled in diability discrimination claims - it's bad publicity (esp. for Medicine).

There are other aspects to Medicine than the social side - there is research and behind the scenes stuff.
Reply 18
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
There is probably a slight difference between medicine and archaeology.

If OP is worried about his aspergers, he could always become a vascular surgeon.

But Vascular Surgeons are the most sociable, happiest plumbers I know :pierre:
Reply 19
I think someone with aspergers would make a really good surgeon if that was their key interest, being able to focus on one single thing for hours and hours without a break... Sounds perfect to me. I honestly do not see what the problem is.

Maybe not a GP or psychiatrist though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending