The Student Room Group

What are the Top Uni's for Law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Rfc_07
you won't get into uni fullstop with grammatical capabilities like that. 'Unis'. Not Uni's. Sigh.

Actually an apostrophe can be used when you are missing out letters in a word. For example: "isn't" is short for "is not". In this situation "uni's" is short for "universities".
Reply 41
Queen Mary is also one of the top ten Law Universities. It is after all ranked third in the Guardians Ranking.
Reply 42
Why are people missing out QMUL? It's Law department is very strong. It was ranked top 3/5 in quite a few tables last year.
Original post by AdamTJ
I just completely disagree with this (aside from the last couple of paragraphs). Firstly re your experience of a law degree. I'm sorry to hear about it. I completely empathise with the stress you are feeling now. There's nothing like finals to bring it all to a head. However, my experience was very different. I had a lovely group of friends, all of whom were extremely supportive. We shared resources, called each other up if we didn't understand points of law and needed them explaining and generally had a very good relationship with each other. I didn't see much of the "cut-throat" mentality you describe. Yes, we knew we were competing against each other, but we all knew it was better not to tread on people on the way up, lest you meet them again on the way back down. Oh- and we liked each other.

Secondly- the city law firms are recovering from the downturn. They are employing in high numbers again. Competition is a fact of life. If you want to work for the best, you have to be the best. I don't really see the problem with that. You do not have to have learnt multiple languages, or have a CV as long as someone's arm (in fact I'd say keep it to 2 pages max!). You have had ample opportunity to get involved in extra-curriculars at university yourself, and presumably you would have been aware of the need to do them, so what was stopping you? What is most important, however, is that you are engaging and articulate at interview, well-researched and commercially aware.

Thirdly- the Bar is becoming more meritocratic, it's as simple as that. You don't have to speak with a ludicrously "posh" accent any more. Yes it is dominated by people with firsts from good universities but that is because it is a small but prestigious profession, and the laws of supply and demand would indicate that was inevitable. I honestly believe though, that if you are good enough to be at the Bar, you will make it, regardless of background. The boundaries that were there simply don't exist any more.

I'm not saying i dont have supportive friends, there are nice people there too, just that the competition exists. True, it is becoming more meritocratic, but not nearly fast enough. They're doing alot of 'equal opportunity' things with state school student awards and whatnot, but even those are being snapped up by people who really arent that poor but went to state school anyway.

you can't be engaging and articulate at interview if you can't even make it to one in the first place.

And i'm not the one with the problem with extra-curriculars here (i work 2 jobs and run 2 societies). I'm just saying.
Reply 44
Original post by TurboCretin
I, sir, take TURBO-OFFENCE.

Anyway, I'd put Nottingham in that last bracket in place of Warwick. There's negligible difference in terms of quality of institution, but Notts has greater employment rates for law.

Maybe. I'm no expert - I don't know tonnes about Notts, apart from I hated it when I visited it.

However I'm not particularly biased - since I'm not doing the whole OMG MY UNI IS THE BEST THING. But it is a pretty subjective opinion.

Notts is probably on the same line as Warwick and the rest.
Reply 45
Original post by High As A Kite
Agreed :wink:

Hehe. Aww, I hate UCL too, but you can't deny they are good for Law.
Original post by draikzer
Maybe. I'm no expert - I don't know tonnes about Notts, apart from I hated it when I visited it.

However I'm not particularly biased - since I'm not doing the whole OMG MY UNI IS THE BEST THING. But it is a pretty subjective opinion.

Notts is probably on the same line as Warwick and the rest.

Oh, so you're at Warwick? Fair enough, but I'm afraid not knowing much about Notts, or hating it when you visited it, aren't really reasons that it shouldn't be ranked above Warwick. 10% greater employment prospects are.

Anyway, you're right. There's no significant overall difference between the two. I just think specifically excluding Nottingham in favour of Warwick is odd.
Reply 48
1 exeter
2 oxbridge
3 few other good'uns
4 leicester
5 kent
last place nottingham trent
Reply 49
Oh, so you're at Warwick? Fair enough, but I'm afraid not knowing much about Notts, or hating it when you visited it, aren't really reasons that it shouldn't be ranked above Warwick. 10% greater employment prospects are.

Anyway, you're right. There's no significant overall difference between the two. I just think specifically excluding Nottingham in favour of Warwick is odd.

I'm at KCL not Warwick. But I assume it's about the same standard/prestige.
Original post by therealOG
Actually an apostrophe can be used when you are missing out letters in a word. For example: "isn't" is short for "is not". In this situation "uni's" is short for "universities".

So the apostrophe is supposed to represent the ommitted 'versitie'... I don't think it works like that. Sentences would look very silly if apostrophes could be used so freely.

What are you doing today?

W't a'e y'u d'g t'y?

How would we know that 'Uni's' stood for Universities and not 'universes or unicycles'?
Reply 51
Original post by TheCount.
So the apostrophe is supposed to represent the ommitted 'versitie'... I don't think it works like that. Sentences would look very silly if apostrophes could be used so freely.

W't a'e y'u d'g t'y?

How would we know that 'Uni's' stood for Universities and not 'universes or unicycles'?

Uni is an accepted abbreviation in common usage, so not really comparable to your example sentence.

It is quite clear from the context that the poster is referring to university, so I don't think there is any cause for confusion... :rolleyes:
Original post by hmaus
Uni is an accepted abbreviation in common usage,

"Uni" is an Australianism that came to his country with Neighbours. The older English abbreviation "varsity" as in "he is studying at the varsity" had died out some time before except in connection with Oxford and Cambridge sporting contests and beer.
Reply 53
I would group them - with slight diffences within the groups

Oxford
Cambridge

------

LSE
UCL
KCL
Bristol
Nottingham
Durham
Warwick

------

QMUL
Manchester
etc
Reply 54

And he's at KCL.
Reply 55
Original post by draikzer
Hehe. Aww, I hate UCL too, but you can't deny they are good for Law.

There's something wrong with you there...
Reply 56
Original post by therealOG

O M G

truely dumbfounded.
Reply 57
Original post by talespirit
I'm not saying i dont have supportive friends, there are nice people there too, just that the competition exists. True, it is becoming more meritocratic, but not nearly fast enough. They're doing alot of 'equal opportunity' things with state school student awards and whatnot, but even those are being snapped up by people who really arent that poor but went to state school anyway.

you can't be engaging and articulate at interview if you can't even make it to one in the first place.

And i'm not the one with the problem with extra-curriculars here (i work 2 jobs and run 2 societies). I'm just saying.

Just out of interest, what is your view on those Oxford candidates who got in from a state school background?
Reply 58
Original post by Rfc_07
O M G

truely dumbfounded.

From Wikipedia:
The apostrophe ( , often rendered as ' ) is a punctuation mark, and sometimes a diacritic mark, in languages that use the Latin alphabet or certain other alphabets. In English, it serves three purposes:

* The omission of one or more letters (as in the contraction of do not to don't).
* The marking of possessive case (as in the cat’s whiskers).
* The marking as plural of written items that are not words established in English orthography (as in P's and Q's, the late 1950's). (This is considered incorrect by some. See Use in forming certain plurals.)

It does have multiple uses you know :colonhash:
Reply 59
Original post by TheCount.

W't a'e y'u d'g t'y?

The context in which the word is placed (i.e. common sense)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending