The Student Room Group

I envy Oxford students so much!

Scroll to see replies

That's like saying I envy Harvard students because they are far superior to Oxbridge students despite 80-90% claim it is an amazing university.

I now want to go Harvard... :colone:
Reply 281
Original post by im so academic
Is it a wonder I intend to go to Oxbridge? The interview system keeps the uneducated, all-partying riff-raff out. (Sure there are parties at Oxbridge, but it is not the central focus of an Oxbridge education, is it?)

Please justify it then.

Your attitude is pretty disgusting. I'm sure you'll fit in well with the Oxbridge sort.

For the people putting so much worth in Oxford/Cambridge institutions it might be worth looking at Steve Jobs' commencement speech he gave to Stanford students in 2005: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 282
Original post by Phranky
Your attitude is pretty disgusting. I'm sure you'll fit in well with the Oxbridge sort.

She won't.
Original post by Phranky

Lol, yes, Oxbridge students have digusting attitudes. :rolleyes:
Original post by Phranky

For the people putting so much worth in Oxford/Cambridge institutions it might be worth looking at Steve Jobs' commencement speech he gave to Stanford students in 2005: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

I don't really agree with what you've said, but that is one hell of a speech... thank you for linking
Original post by Jonty99
Lol, yes, Oxbridge students have digusting attitudes. :rolleyes:

I get called disgusting all the time and I don't attend either Oxford or Cambridge? :s-smilie:
Original post by raveen789
That's like saying I envy Harvard students because they are far superior to Oxbridge students despite 80-90% claim it is an amazing university.

I now want to go Harvard... :colone:

Now you've lit the touchpaper.

There is no way (and as the Rock would say) and I mean...NO WAY.... you can say Harvard is somehow FAR SUPERIOR to Oxford or Cambridge. Sure some tables may place Harvard higher well they did until Cambridge overtook it but I think once you reach the upper echelons of top 5 worldwide universities etc. There's very little to separate them.

Besides wasn't the person who founded Harvard himself a Cambridge graduate hence why the town where Harvard is located is called "Cambridge, Massachussetts (spelt it wrong I bet!)" out of respect for the town/university of Cambridge?

I'm guessing Harvard just magically appeared on the scene like AIDS :rolleyes:
I don't lol.

I don't want to go to Oxford. I probably couldn't get in anyway, what with my less than sterling GCSE grades, but nevertheless I wouldn't apply there.
Reply 288
Original post by S129439
I don't lol. I don't want to go to Oxford...I wouldn't apply there.

:confused: You've posted several times on the 'Are my GCSE/AS grades good enough for Oxbridge?' thread.

Have you decided which subject you would go for yet? Your GCSE results are not bad and would not preclude you from applying for some Arts subjects, if your A2's
go well enough and you shine in any aptitude test that may be required.
Original post by shoshin
:confused: You've posted several times on the 'Are my GCSE/AS grades good enough for Oxbridge?' thread.

First off, thanks for stalking me :lolwut:

Anyway, I cannot tell a lie, I used to be very interested in going. At one point, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to apply to oxford, and I was stressing over the idea of not getting in.

Since then, I have attended a taster day at Oxford, read up on Oxbridge study, looked around the area and spoken to Oxford students, which in all honesty put me off applying there.

Without going into paragraphs of detail, I wanted to go to Oxford for all the wrong reasons. Since then, I have developed a more mature outlook on university and Oxford itself, and now it seems that it doesn't appeal to me much.

If someone said, "here have a place" and they had a subject I wanted to do, AND I couldn't go anywhere else I wanted to, then I would take it.

Original post by shoshin

Have you decided which subject you would go for yet? Your GCSE results are not bad and would not preclude you from applying for some Arts subjects, if your A2's
go well enough and you shine in any aptitude test that may be required.

Was this directed at me or OP?
Reply 290
Original post by S129439
...thanks for stalking me...

I saw that you were from the West Midlands like me, clicked on your user name, noted that you had already posted a few times in the University of Oxford forum, read said posts, and thought :hmmmm2: "doesn't seem consistent with the opinion expressed in the current thread".

Original post by S129439
...Was this directed at me or OP?

It was directed at you. I thought that perhaps you hadn't got the reassurance you needed regarding your GCSEs on the other thread and that this was what had changed your opinion of Oxford and Oxford students. You hadn't decided on your subject according to one of your posts, and there is a big difference at Oxford between, for example, History and Medicine in terms of the relative importance of stellar GCSEs.

Original post by S129439
...If someone said, "here have a place" and they had a subject I wanted to do, AND I couldn't go anywhere else I wanted to, then I would take it.

I see now that I have been wasting both your time and mine.
Original post by shoshin
I saw that you were from the West Midlands like me, clicked on your user name, noted that you had already posted a few times in the University of Oxford forum, read said posts, and thought :hmmmm2: "doesn't seem consistent with the opinion expressed in the current thread".

It was directed at you. I thought that perhaps you hadn't got the reassurance you needed regarding your GCSEs on the other thread and that this was what had changed your opinion of Oxford and Oxford students. You hadn't decided on your subject according to one of your posts, and there is a big difference at Oxford between, for example, History and Medicine in terms of the relative importance of stellar GCSEs.

I see now that I have been wasting both your time and mine.

Don't worry about it. Maybe my OP sounded a bit like I thought I was too good for Oxford or that I thought it was crap lol. I don't, it just isn't for me and so I wouldn't apply there. It's not for everyone :smile:
Original post by im so academic
Possessing high grades DO NOT in any way make you clever.

that was my point!!
Original post by street.lovin'
Special people do not impress me. Going to Oxford doesn't mea they are intelligent. Many idiots got traight As - A*. If being clever means secial, then millions of people would be special which makes it so common resulting in noone being special. lol

oxford has about 12,000 undergraduates. out of britain's population of about 60 million. how elitist you going to be. what about nobel prize winners, are they special. or do you think they are also two a penny.
Reply 294
the only person i envy is the guy in the mirror, damn he is so cool
Original post by magicL
the only person i envy is the guy in the mirror, damn he is so cool

I know, right? The guy in the mirror is one of the best.
I never applied and I won't anyway and I have the grades. I like London :h:.
Reply 297
Original post by Munchies-YumYum
I know, right? The guy in the mirror is one of the best.

and he even has the cheek to copy me
Original post by legal_beagle
As someone who applied to Cambridge for History and was pooled and then rejected, I had about a month when I was disappointed. I then took up my place at a Russell group, worked hard and came top of my year in finals and won national academic prizes for my dissertation. I was then offered a PhD and funding at both Yale and Princeton, which I turned down. I now have a job offer which three friends of mine who went to Oxbridge applied for and did not get.

I have no illusions that the students who did well at interview aged 17 and got offers are somehow superior to me. A number of them will have gone on to get low 2.1s or 2.2s, and some will not even have made their AAA grade offer. Based on my achievements, I honestly think if I'd gone to Cambridge I would have got a First.

It might not seem that way when you're an A-level student, but UCAS is not everything. You're 17, and university is the start of your academic development, not the end!

Take home pointL move on, work hard and enjoy your studies and you will do well regardless - really no need to hold a chip on your shoulder, and the same goes for the minority of Oxbridge students for whom impressing an admissions tutor in their late pubescence is a constant reaffirmation of their value in this world.

Lol at this getting negged.
Original post by legal_beagle
As someone who applied to Cambridge for History and was pooled and then rejected, I had about a month when I was disappointed. I then took up my place at a Russell group, worked hard and came top of my year in finals and won national academic prizes for my dissertation. I was then offered a PhD and funding at both Yale and Princeton, which I turned down. I now have a job offer which three friends of mine who went to Oxbridge applied for and did not get.

I have no illusions that the students who did well at interview aged 17 and got offers are somehow superior to me. A number of them will have gone on to get low 2.1s or 2.2s, and some will not even have made their AAA grade offer. Based on my achievements, I honestly think if I'd gone to Cambridge I would have got a First.

It might not seem that way when you're an A-level student, but UCAS is not everything. You're 17, and university is the start of your academic development, not the end!

Take home pointL move on, work hard and enjoy your studies and you will do well regardless - really no need to hold a chip on your shoulder, and the same goes for the minority of Oxbridge students for whom impressing an admissions tutor in their late pubescence is a constant reaffirmation of their value in this world.

please do have some + rep for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending