The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emaemmaemily
Oh yes, no evidence. Except that I witness it every day I'm at work, and most teachers from decent school would probably back it up?
It's not rocket science... Immature children generally grow up.

Work houses... Oh yes, a very viable and realistic answer. And not exploiting human rights at all.
You're just coming up with things that seriously don't make sense, and don't fix the problem. We need to fix these issues, not bury them and doom children to a life of hell.

You only have anecdotal evidence, which to be frank is a load of crap; at my school those who were naughty in lower years grew up to be even worse as they "grew up" to point of being dangerous.

The problem is such, many state schooled pupils have to contend with distractions and abuse from ill-behaved children. Ignoring my work house comment hard labour for school drop-outs who turn to crime is viable.

You talk about fixing the problem by sometimes the answer is to cut them loose; if someone does not want to be in school learning, why force them to be there?
Original post by PendulumBoB
What problem? Little s*** syndrome.

Your not gonna understand my argument.
Poverty hurts society as a whole, you have to help them or you have to help them. You cant simply cast them aside and hope nobody else in the world notices. They dont go away.
(edited 13 years ago)
You only have anecdotal evidence, which to be frank is a load of crap; at my school those who were naughty in lower years grew up to be even worse as they "grew up" to point of being dangerous

Then I am proof that you are wrong.
I played up a fair bit when I was younger, mainly because I was bullied a lot and couldn't deal with it.
Yet I changed, I got my head down and worked.

Yes it doesn't happen to everyone who is "naughty". But to say it can't or doesn't happen is just bull****.
You only have anecdotal evidence, which to be frank is a load of crap; at my school those who were naughty in lower years grew up to be even worse as they "grew up" to point of being dangerous.

The problem is such, many state schooled pupils have to contend with distractions and abuse from ill-behaved children. Ignoring my work house comment hard labour for school drop-outs who turn to crime is viable.

You talk about fixing the problem by sometimes the answer is to cut them loose; if someone does not want to be in school learning, why force them to be there?

SOMETIMES the answer is to cut them loose. I've already agreed to that.

My evidence isn't a load of crap. Maybe your school was **** and didn't do it properly?
Original post by SparksInTheSky
In sixth form, certainly, they should be kicked out. there should be a three strikes or you're out rule. in class, teachers need to be more consistent with giving out punishments/failing students who don't meet deadlines. if kids are still disruptive (and under 16) they need to be taken out of class, get whatever support they need to sort out their problems, incl. home ones, they reinserted into the class, when they can cope with it. and a more positive attitude to education needs to be encouraged.

No just no, support is too expensive, why should it be given to undeserving brats when those who want to learn are forced to learn in classroms of over 30 people? If someone does not want to be in school let them leave and allow the rest of the class to learn; if they turn to crime, put them in a chain gang and get them working, like they do in the states.
No, it isn't it's just an ad hominem attack based on her reputation (Quite literally)

Of course money should be spend on making society better, thats why it should not be wasted on these people, they do not want to be in school learning, so instead of paying for them to be there let them leave, and focus on those who want to learn. If they end up unemployed (Which they shouldn't as there always seems to be a toilet which needs cleaning) slash their benefits, if they didn't want to help themselves at school, why should society help them when they've failed at life. If they turn to crime arrest them and give them hard labour to repay their debt to society.

Firstly they ruin it for others by being naughty, then they ruin for others by having resources (teachers time, textbooks and often rewards for almost normal behaviour) directed at them, which would be better spend on well behaved children who actually want to learn (Even if they are not A* students)

I think the thing is, ideally we would just give the money to those students who work hard. But practically if we don't sort out these kids problems now (and the various social ones causing these problems) they will end up costing us a lot more money in the future. Plus it's also limited to suggest that these kids have the choice - they don't - we are all irrevocably determined by our environment and upbringing. But I agree, it's a hard one, cus the kids at the top need just as much support, and they often don't get it.
No just no, support is too expensive

Not as expensive (both in cost and in the impact to society) as the consequences of not supporting them.
Original post by im so academic

Original post by im so academic
Imo, disruptive students who are at university should be kicked out immediately.

Why come to university to be disruptive?

No excuses.

Absolutely. Over here in the states it's a serious problem... I'm not against going out, maybe partying a little, and having some fun, however that should be kept off of school grounds.

Of course, depending on what you're doing (campaigning or something) would merit being loud (outside of course) and interacting with people. However just being loud, screaming, and acting stupid because nobody is there to tell you otherwise should never happen.
No just no, support is too expensive, why should it be given to undeserving brats when those who want to learn are forced to learn in classroms of over 30 people? If someone does not want to be in school let them leave and allow the rest of the class to learn; if they turn to crime, put them in a chain gang and get them working, like they do in the states.

Is it fair to do that? when the nature of these kids is determined by the society they grow up in? If you'd been born in an unstable, working-class faminly, would you like to be treated that way? Or do you think you should get extra help to overcome the extra obstacles in your life?
Original post by WelshBluebird
Then I am proof that you are wrong.
I played up a fair bit when I was younger, mainly because I was bullied a lot and couldn't deal with it.
Yet I changed, I got my head down and worked.

Yes it doesn't happen to everyone who is "naughty". But to say it can't or doesn't happen is just bull****.

One person is not sufficient proof; you are just anecdotal evidence. Besides is bullies were banned from school anyway then your behaviour (If what you say is true) would have been better, and you would not have negatively impacted the education of yourself and others.
undeserving brats

Nobody is TRULY undeserving. If you do not extend that help in the first place they will never learn
I think the thing is, ideally we would just give the money to those students who work hard. But practically if we don't sort out these kids problems now (and the various social ones causing these problems) they will end up costing us a lot more money in the future. Plus it's also limited to suggest that these kids have the choice - they don't - we are all irrevocably determined by our environment and upbringing. But I agree, it's a hard one, cus the kids at the top need just as much support, and they often don't get it.

Ah we find some common ground, if those who cause social problems were also dealt with appropriately then for the well behaved citizen things would be a lot better.

I agree that our behaviour is determined by our genetic make up and our environment, but using that as an excuse sets a dangerous precedent that any bad behaviour is not the fault of the perpetrator (As he/she provided none of these things) but is the fault of society, when actually society is the victim
Is it fair to do that? when the nature of these kids is determined by the society they grow up in? If you'd been born in an unstable, working-class faminly, would you like to be treated that way? Or do you think you should get extra help to overcome the extra obstacles in your life?

This is ridiculous, you are blaming society for the ills of individuals (You wouldn't blame a rape victim when the rapist is at fault). Ideally everyone would get a tailor made education to suit them, but the system does not have enough money to pay to overcome every obsticle in each childs way. Serious decisions have to be made when it comes to the allocation of resources, and if it's between smaller class sizes to benefit the majority or pay out get ill behaved children to be good then I know what I would choose.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
SOMETIMES the answer is to cut them loose. I've already agreed to that.

My evidence isn't a load of crap. Maybe your school was **** and didn't do it properly?

You blame schools when you should blame the child?:confused:
This is ridiculous, you are blaming society for the ills of individuals (You wouldn't blame a rape victim when the rapist is at fault). Ideally everyone would get a tailor made education to suit them, but the system does not have enough money to pay to overcome every obsticle in each childs way. Serious decisions have to be made when it comes to the allocation of resources, and if it's between smaller class sizes to benefit the majority or pay out get ill behaved children to be good then I know what I would choose.

People are shaped and created by their society. (The home life, and then their experiences elsewhere). You can very much blame the fact that there are **** people on society, it's how they are created.
when actually society is the victim

But that is somewhat the point.
In many cases, society is both the victim and the cause.
You can do whatever you want, but unless you sort out the causes, you will not stop the problems that occur.

One person is not sufficient proof; you are just anecdotal evidence. Besides is bullies were banned from school anyway then your behaviour (If what you say is true) would have been better, and you would not have negatively impacted the education of yourself and others.

Yes, one person is not sufficient proof.
But I am not the only example.
Original post by Ich Dien
Your not gonna understand my argument.
Poverty hurts society as a whole, you have to help them or you have to help them. You cant simply cast them aside and hope nobody else in the world notices. They dont go away.

If they act up in the real world arrest them and give them hard labour in return for food and a bed-simples:biggrin:

Not as expensive (both in cost and in the impact to society) as the consequences of not supporting them.

Statistical evidence?
Reply 618
Original post by EggmanD
Why do most people who are saying it disrupts learning coming across as some Orwellian slaves who are opposed to the agenda being disrupted by those unable to serve the masters..?

'we must learn, those that disrupt the learning must be punished!'

If the 'disruptive kid is bored, thats a natural reaction and something that cannot be seen as a punishable offense. Find out why kids are bored and give them more options so they can find a place in this world rather than becoming an empty vessel working a dead end 9 - 5 because they couldn't find anything fun to do in school and/or rely on the weekend/fights/drinks/girls/football/excessive drug use/job seekers/housing benefits to try and find some enjoyment in life.

Obviously kids need a base learning of certain subjects to communicate, work out basic sums on a day to day basis or to have some idea of how the world we live on works but there needs to be more nurture and reason and less blanket punishment IMO.

One Wednesday Night I got "bored" and started shouting, screaming and got into a fight, fine I thought. It's a natural reaction and something that cannot be seen as a punishable offense. Funnily enough that excuse didn't do me any favours in front of the JPs I can tell you...
lol OP... wtf
nothing should be done. the best students learn most at home. well i definitely do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending