The Student Room Group

Imperial or Bristol for Aero?

I've been offered a place on both the aeronautical engineering courses but don't know which one to make my firm!! Ive got an A at a level maths but to keep my options open i'm retaking core 4 because i need an A* for imperial. I really can't decide between the 2 :s-smilie:

Bristol has an excellent course, good facilities and a nice department. It's course is accredited by RAeS and it has excellent industry links being near many aerospace companies. I like the city of Bristol, it seems like a place I'd want to live but then again I don't know London very well.

Imperial also has an excellent course, it's faciilities are nearly as good but it's reputation as a institution I think is better than Bristol's. It's also accredited by RAeS as well as IMechE! This to me says it would be a better career option and it would also open up a few more scholarships. Being in London it also has the advantage of being near the financial district incase I ever got bored of engineering :/

The cost of the my time at uni is also important to me and although London's expensive, Bristol's also quite expensive, and Imperial offers a lot more in terms of bursaries for people from less well off backgrounds.

Thoughts? I dont know which one!!

Scroll to see replies

Have you visited? Both are great, and ultimately your career will be determined whilst you are at uni so you'd be good at both. I'd go with the one you liked more personally. Both have great links and both in their own way, are good places to be in terms of university, city, etc. I'd recommend visiting and researching more, you still have time before you firm. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
As places, I like Bristol tbh, it seemed really nice when I visited the cities a nice size. But London is London... it's gotta be just as good if not better than Bristol!
University of Nestlé.
Reply 4
Original post by jdf1993
As places, I like Bristol tbh, it seemed really nice when I visited the cities a nice size. But London is London... it's gotta be just as good if not better than Bristol!

It ain't.
Reply 5
Original post by Aaargh
It ain't.

Bristol isn't a nice place? Or London isn't better than Bristol?
Reply 6
Original post by jdf1993
Bristol isn't a nice place? Or London isn't better than Bristol?

Having spent a long time in both places, I can safely say that I far preferred Bristol to London :smile:
Reply 7
Firmed Bristol in the end. Always new I would but there is still doubt in my mind whether Ive done the right thing by rejecting Imperial :/ still

BRIZZLE 2011!!! :biggrin:DD
Reply 8
Original post by jdf1993

Original post by jdf1993
Firmed Bristol in the end. Always new I would but there is still doubt in my mind whether Ive done the right thing by rejecting Imperial :/ still

BRIZZLE 2011!!! :biggrin:DD

You have not in anyway disadvantaged yourself my friend.

If Bristol is the enivronment that you will suit you then it can't get better than that. At least you know now that you will be motivated to study at a place your comfortable with for 3+ years.

Even though Imperial might have a better reputation, It will only win against Bristol marginally.

Well done for getting offers from both by the way.

But what about your maths retake? Since you will not be attending Imperial anymore.
Reply 9
Original post by *Hakz*
You have not in anyway disadvantaged yourself my friend.

If Bristol is the enivronment that you will suit you then it can't get better than that. At least you know now that you will be motivated to study at a place your comfortable with for 3+ years.

Even though Imperial might have a better reputation, It will only win against Bristol marginally.

Well done for getting offers from both by the way.

But what about your maths retake? Since you will not be attending Imperial anymore.

Cheers and I plan to retake it anyway. I was so close to an A* I may as well :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by jdf1993

Original post by jdf1993
Cheers and I plan to retake it anyway. I was so close to an A* I may as well :smile:

That's fair enough. At the end of the day, It will look fantastic on your CV for future purposes.

Well done once again.
Hey, quick question, what sorta extract stuff did you do get such places and what grades did you get in what subject? I want to apply for Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial, Bristol, Cambridge, Southampton, Bath.. well something along those lines.. I'm in year 12 and I wanted to kow. What kind of wider reading did you do? If so, could you reccomend me some ideas?

Thank you.

Shahzaib Muneeb
Reply 12
Original post by ShahzaibMuneeb
Hey, quick question, what sorta extract stuff did you do get such places and what grades did you get in what subject? I want to apply for Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial, Bristol, Cambridge, Southampton, Bath.. well something along those lines.. I'm in year 12 and I wanted to kow. What kind of wider reading did you do? If so, could you reccomend me some ideas?

Thank you.

Shahzaib Muneeb

In Year 12 I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and D&T Product Design. I got AAABA respectively and dropped product design at the end of year 12. I was only 2 UMS off the A in chemistry so my predict grades were A*A*AA.

Extracurricular stuff. I did quite a lot really but neither Imperial, Bristol or Cambridge said anything about it at all when they interviewed me. So im not sure if it mattered but i still did quite a bit. I did the Engineering Education Scheme, Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award and I also volunteer at a youth group too.
Extra reading I did get asked about at Imperial and Cambridge. I read Flight without Formula by A.C.Kermode but they said they'd rather me read a book with maths in it. And Fundamentals of Fighter Design which was a book i just picked up in the library and never actually read properly. Lucky they didnt ask about it! lol The book I should of read and is the maths version of the flight without formula by the same author is called Mechanics Of Flight. I think a lot of people read that book though so it might not make you stand out.

Your Welcome :smile: aero ftw
Reply 13
Don't go to Imperial just because of its reputation. Go to the university you want to go to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jdf1993
In Year 12 I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and D&T Product Design. I got AAABA respectively and dropped product design at the end of year 12. I was only 2 UMS off the A in chemistry so my predict grades were A*A*AA.

Extracurricular stuff. I did quite a lot really but neither Imperial, Bristol or Cambridge said anything about it at all when they interviewed me. So im not sure if it mattered but i still did quite a bit. I did the Engineering Education Scheme, Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award and I also volunteer at a youth group too.
Extra reading I did get asked about at Imperial and Cambridge. I read Flight without Formula by A.C.Kermode but they said they'd rather me read a book with maths in it. And Fundamentals of Fighter Design which was a book i just picked up in the library and never actually read properly. Lucky they didnt ask about it! lol The book I should of read and is the maths version of the flight without formula by the same author is called Mechanics Of Flight. I think a lot of people read that book though so it might not make you stand out.

Thank you so much for this information, you don't know how useful this information is to me.

Btw, what is this Engineering Education Scheme?

Thanks.
Reply 15
Original post by ShahzaibMuneeb
Thank you so much for this information, you don't know how useful this information is to me.

Btw, what is this Engineering Education Scheme?

Thanks.

Its a scheme run by the Engineering Development Trust where your school makes a team and you get assigned an engineering problem from a company and they give you guidance to solve it and make reports and presentations etc. If your not doing it now its probably too late to start as its only open to Year 12s.
The EDT are the people who run the Year In Industry scheme, if you look on the Cambridge Engineering site they're activities are specifically mentioned. See if you could get involved in any of the other schemes they run http://www.etrust.org.uk/ .
Another extra thing i wanted to do but didn't get a place on was Sutton Trust Summer Schools. Look into them.

Good Luck!!!! Btw don't put too much extra curricular stuff on yourself. When your going for univerisities like those its probably about 90% academics and grades that matter.
Reply 16
I like the people on this post :P
Prospective Aerospace Engineers feel free to ask me about any of the application procedure etc aswell considering Ive just been through it :smile:
Original post by jdf1993

Aero FTW :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by TomSouthwell
Prospective Aerospace Engineers feel free to ask me about any of the application procedure etc aswell considering Ive just been through it :smile:

As for me.

Quick Reply

Latest