The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Just been for a long weekend in Oxford and it was lovely :smile: Had a chance to explore parks/museums etc- it's reassuring to know just how much greenery there is in the centre (well, at least for a country dullard like me who applied to a college with more car parking than gardens). :tongue: The Ashmolean is fantastic and I by no means saw all of it

Thought I'd include a pic as evidence :biggrin:

Original post by Festina lente
Scholars' gowns are brilliant; I completely loved mine. It's the quickest way to get through Oxford on a Saturday afternoon; swish through in a scholars' gown and the tourists stand back to take pictures.

Incidentally does anyone want a free commoners' gown? My OH found his a while back, and he doesn't want it any more. It's a Shepherd & Woodward 32" - I don't understand how they size gowns but my OH is about 5'11" ish.

It's in good condition and will look fine once I've ironed it - not really worn much as he didn't really go in for Formal Hall. I'd drop it off at your College before 0th Week Michaelmas. Let me know if you'd like it!

Is it free!? I'll have it if no one else has asked...
Original post by RupertTheBear
Is it free!? I'll have it if no one else has asked...

No one else has, and you are welcome to it, OH has no use for it having graduated and wants me to give it away to a new owner :smile: If you pm me with your College and name, I will drop it off nearer to the time, I live near Oxford and go there quite often.
Original post by Festina lente
No one else has, and you are welcome to it, OH has no use for it having graduated and wants me to give it away to a new owner :smile: If you pm me with your College and name, I will drop it off nearer to the time, I live near Oxford and go there quite often.

Thanks!
Original post by gandhistoto
Hi there, I got an offer from Hertford too :smile:

Feels good to see someone whom I'm going to meet here haha

Same here, I haven't got anything from Hertford yet :/

You're taking archaeology and anthropology rite? That's so cool. I used to always want to be an archaelogist, can explore lots of exotic places haha.

Hey,

yeah I know! i don't know anyone at Hertford because i originally applied to keble, so I know a few people on my course, but no one in my college. So glad i got into hertford though, (no offence to any Keble people out there!) just more my type of college. i hadn't even looked round there before I applied :smile:

Yup Archaeology and Anthropology, which i cannot wait to start studying, and the travelling made me decide to study it just a teensy bit too :smile: What's your subject/s?
Original post by FamousFourTops
Hey, sorry to randomly quote you like this, but are you doing Arch and Anth next year? If so, you're the first person I've found on here who is :biggrin: This makes me happy.

It's fine...

Yes I am!! And also ditto :smile: Which college are you going to? And whichever it is, was it it your first choice? :smile:

Ahhh, sorry - St Hugh's? My insurance is UCL too. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CharlieCroc
Hey,

yeah I know! i don't know anyone at Hertford because i originally applied to keble, so I know a few people on my course, but no one in my college. So glad i got into hertford though, (no offence to any Keble people out there!) just more my type of college. i hadn't even looked round there before I applied :smile:

Yup Archaeology and Anthropology, which i cannot wait to start studying, and the travelling made me decide to study it just a teensy bit too :smile: What's your subject/s?

Haha but it's okay right, since you will know the people at Hertford later anyway. It may be even better because you get to know more people :smile:

Mine's physics, same as soutioirsim. Although I'm not sure I can survive just Physics and Maths for 4 years. At first I thought I can take modules unrelated to Phys as well. But oh well, at least I can come for other lectures. Although Oxford's website says I would not have time to do that :/
Original post by Lucius
Just been for a long weekend in Oxford and it was lovely :smile: Had a chance to explore parks/museums etc- it's reassuring to know just how much greenery there is in the centre (well, at least for a country dullard like me who applied to a college with more car parking than gardens). :tongue: The Ashmolean is fantastic and I by no means saw all of it

Thought I'd include a pic as evidence :biggrin:

Wow, what a nice picture you have ther!
Ngeh, I'm dying to go to Oxford already :frown:
Original post by FamousFourTops
Wahey!! There are so few of us :frown: Yeah, I'm St Hugh's; It was my first choice (although it was assigned because I did an open application) How about you?
Is your UCL offer for arch and anth, or just anth then?

I know right! isn't it like 25 over all! Ha. defo the best subject though :smile:
Oh right, cool - we didn't really have much choice anyway :smile: I applied to Keble first because it was big and I only managed to look round Keble and St Hugh's on the open day tbh. Think I was glad i got into hertford though - interview went muuuch better and felt more comfortable - suppose that's probably why I got in there instead. Loads of people interviewed at Keble got in though - just some at other colleges as well.

You'll have Prof Mitchell then? Did he interview you? What was he like? I got thrown into his office on the open day by myself because the girl showing me round thought I should speak to him. didn't have any questions at all. Kept asking him stuff I already knew so I didn't look stupid!! Very interesting experience :smile:

Arch and Anth from UCL as well. I might be risking it by saying this, but I realllly liked UCL and found it hard to choose... but I suppose Oxford was always going to win really wasn't it? Are you just Anth at UCL then?
Haha but it's okay right, since you will know the people at Hertford later anyway. It may be even better because you get to know more people :smile:

Mine's physics, same as soutioirsim. Although I'm not sure I can survive just Physics and Maths for 4 years. At first I thought I can take modules unrelated to Phys as well. But oh well, at least I can come for other lectures. Although Oxford's website says I would not have time to do that :/

Yeaah - not too worried tbh. Be nice to meet new people :smile:

Ahhh physics!! Don't envy you, sorry. I definitely wouldn't have got into Oxford if I'd applied for that :smile: But I suppose you must love it, and someone has to. You'll be fine for four years - just join one of the outrageous societies or something. At least people know what yours is. Everyone just raises their yebrows when I tell them what I'm doing at uni. then they either ask me what it is, already know what it is (quite rare), or pretend they know what it is - quite interesting experience. the best one was when someone thought I was going to study insects.

Advantages of being an Arts student though - only four lectures a week I think - might be able to squeeze in another lecture somewhere :smile:
Yeaah - not too worried tbh. Be nice to meet new people :smile:

Ahhh physics!! Don't envy you, sorry. I definitely wouldn't have got into Oxford if I'd applied for that :smile: But I suppose you must love it, and someone has to. You'll be fine for four years - just join one of the outrageous societies or something. At least people know what yours is. Everyone just raises their yebrows when I tell them what I'm doing at uni. then they either ask me what it is, already know what it is (quite rare), or pretend they know what it is - quite interesting experience. the best one was when someone thought I was going to study insects.

Advantages of being an Arts student though - only four lectures a week I think - might be able to squeeze in another lecture somewhere :smile:

I would not use the word love i guess. In fact I applied Physics just because in college my Physics portfolio is the strongest among other subjects haha. They do know what Physics is, but they always give me the 'Why Physics?' face every time I tell them.
LOL. And here I thought Archaeology is a common term. Searching for artifacts in exotic places like Egypt or South America is so cool. I might just crash some lectures on Arch and Anth if I have the time.

Do science students have more lectures? That sucks >.>

Do you mind telling me what questions did the interviewer ask you for Arch n Anth?
I would not use the word love i guess. In fact I applied Physics just because in college my Physics portfolio is the strongest among other subjects haha. They do know what Physics is, but they always give me the 'Why Physics?' face every time I tell them.
LOL. And here I thought Archaeology is a common term. Searching for artifacts in exotic places like Egypt or South America is so cool. I might just crash some lectures on Arch and Anth if I have the time.

Do science students have more lectures? That sucks >.>

Do you mind telling me what questions did the interviewer ask you for Arch n Anth?

Yeaah most people do know what archaeology is, they think I'm going to be Indianna Jones though! Although, some people are still convinced I'm going to study dinosaurs! it's the anthropology that always baffles people :smile: fair enough though, it's not the most frequent topic of conversation, lol.

Well that's just what I've heard that the sciences have more contact time - labs and stuff. Look in an alternative prospectus i think the OUSU one has 'a day in the life of - A Science/Arts student' or something like that - that's where I got it from. Well, that and my friends in general who are going to do science at uni and look horrified when I mention the concept of four lectures!

Errr yeah, it was mainly talking about artefacts on a big table infront of me. I rambled on about a handaxe for a while, and they asked me why i thought it was symmetrical? Also got asked to define humanity (not easy I'm telling you) Also to define ritual (also pretty tricky) oh and 'what is the point in archaeology? Is it actually useful at all?' Whatever I said to that one seemed to be wrong - my interviewer always had a counter argument, she was so intense!
Yeaah most people do know what archaeology is, they think I'm going to be Indianna Jones though! Although, some people are still convinced I'm going to study dinosaurs! it's the anthropology that always baffles people :smile: fair enough though, it's not the most frequent topic of conversation, lol.

Well that's just what I've heard that the sciences have more contact time - labs and stuff. Look in an alternative prospectus i think the OUSU one has 'a day in the life of - A Science/Arts student' or something like that - that's where I got it from. Well, that and my friends in general who are going to do science at uni and look horrified when I mention the concept of four lectures!

Errr yeah, it was mainly talking about artefacts on a big table infront of me. I rambled on about a handaxe for a while, and they asked me why i thought it was symmetrical? Also got asked to define humanity (not easy I'm telling you) Also to define ritual (also pretty tricky) oh and 'what is the point in archaeology? Is it actually useful at all?' Whatever I said to that one seemed to be wrong - my interviewer always had a counter argument, she was so intense!

To be Indianna Jones is a manly way to be an archaeologist after all haha. Anthropology is quite cool as well, although I would prefer psychology :tongue:

Hmm yea, apparently the schedule every week is quite horrifying, but hey, at least I don't have to write those nasty 2000-words essays every week.

That's a pretty interesting interview! Although I'm sure I would have flunked those kind of interviews. Great job on passing them :smile:
To be Indianna Jones is a manly way to be an archaeologist after all haha. Anthropology is quite cool as well, although I would prefer psychology :tongue:

Hmm yea, apparently the schedule every week is quite horrifying, but hey, at least I don't have to write those nasty 2000-words essays every week.

That's a pretty interesting interview! Although I'm sure I would have flunked those kind of interviews. Great job on passing them :smile:

Taaa, I was kind of shocked to be honest. I had no idea if what I was saying was remotely good or not. I bet if you told be about physics questions i would have no idea whatsoever what they even meant though, so its all dandy :smile:
Taaa, I was kind of shocked to be honest. I had no idea if what I was saying was remotely good or not. I bet if you told be about physics questions i would have no idea whatsoever what they even meant though, so its all dandy :smile:

haha but apparently, those stuff u say were good, if not excellent. you would understand what they meant if you have taken physics before, even gcse physics. although answering them would be another matter entirely :tongue:
Got an email from Hertford :biggrin: (Finally!)
Reply 1296
Original post by soutioirsim
Got an email from Hertford :biggrin: (Finally!)

Hey, what did it say? :biggrin:
I see all these AAA offers, i thought they would ask for 3 A*'s ???? :frown:
Original post by Noble.
Hey, what did it say? :biggrin:

It was to all potential Hertford undergrads saying good luck with meeting our offers and we should expect to hear from them again after results :smile:
Reply 1299
Original post by stjohnpeters
I see all these AAA offers, i thought they would ask for 3 A*'s ???? :frown:

No, they decided to see how the A* would pan out. For 2012 entry they are asking for A*s.

Quick Reply

Latest