The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by tateco
That's what I was thinking :smile:

When applying for universities I'm going to apply for several gap year schemes as well, like the Bank of England one, Deloitte and Rothschilds investment bank. Hopefully I will at least get a place from one of these OR at least one university (I surely can't be that unlucky :P) If everything did go disastrously I would teach myself A2 further maths and think of something else useful to do :P

Where are you going to apply?

Yeah there a quite a few schemes, I wish I applied to some of them. I am sure you will get at least Bath and Nottingham.

I am at university now, don't really want to disclose which one as then my mates will know I go on TSR lol
Reply 341
Original post by SPMS
That is true but the relative difference in importance is the real question.

Yeah i get what you mean

Original post by tateco
Exactly the same here. Didn't do too much revision, especially for crappy subjects that I hated like english and french, that's what let me down :|

Oh how I also hated english, it just was not my sort of subject
Reply 342
Either economics/accounting/business, but I'd still be really interested in studying economics :biggrin:

Probably Edinburgh, Heriott Watt, Strathclyde or Glasgow - cos I'm in scotland and it's free (still, hopefully) :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 343
I thought I'd revive this thread a bit!

What open days have you guys got booked in the calendar? I'd like to see Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, York, Durham and Exeter in the upcoming months.

Are any of you considering UCL's L101 option (International Programme)? It's a difficult trade-off: less chance of getting into L101 (20 places) than L100 but for a year out studying in America.
I've thought about Economics more recently, I know it's not just Maths but it's always been something I've liked and been good at. I don't do further maths though and didn't get the option to do Economics, although I wish I'd been able to. Maybe I'd know more about it then.
Original post by SillyString
Everyone's high UMS scores are starting to worry me..
My college don't offer January exams because "Oxbridge look down upon them..", which I don't think is COMPLETELY accurate, merely gives you a competitive edge if you have the same score as someone else.. which is unlikely to happen because all exams are crammed in together in the space of 2 weeks.. or thereabouts.

I'm still deciding but the general outlook appears:
LSE
UCL
SOAS
City

I'm ranking downwards and I think City will be the lowest, I'm missing a slot between SOAS and City.. any ideas will be appreciated. :smile:
Although my form tutor is highly insistent on an application to Cambridge.. I'm not up for that though.. Is it wrong that I don't necessarily like Cambridge?

I'm on for the earliest registration time at LSE next Wednesday.. missing my EC2 mock though..

Royal Holloway (Univ of London) It ranks above City and SOAS for Economics, and it's in London.
Original post by crazycake93
Royal Holloway (Univ of London) It ranks above City and SOAS for Economics, and it's in London.

It's not really in London though... more like Surrey to me.
Original post by Groat

Are any of you considering UCL's L101 option (International Programme)? It's a difficult trade-off: less chance of getting into L101 (20 places) than L100 but for a year out studying in America.

I wish they did a year in Europe (a german speaking country more specifically) instead. That way, I would have my fees paid for me for that year (Erasmus) and I could continue to learn German.

On the other hand, a year in Chicago or New York would be very tempting indeed... :tongue:
Reply 348
Me hopefully< in January I did f581 and f582 the first 2 Economics Modules and got A A with a B in Physics now I've just got physics unit 2, politics and french in June..

So uni wise... Looking at Warwick, City university London,Lancaster,Surrey and York
Original post by thegenius31416
It's not really in London though... more like Surrey to me.

Fair enough, just outside greater London.
Reply 350
I wish they did a year in Europe (a german speaking country more specifically) instead. That way, I would have my fees paid for me for that year (Erasmus) and I could continue to learn German.

On the other hand, a year in Chicago or New York would be very tempting indeed... :tongue:

I wish more universities offered years studying in different countries, rather than work placements. I don't think I'm going to apply for L101, as I'd rather get into UCL than get into the better course (although I'd have to really consider the costs involved, and whether it would be that amazing). My thoughts, however, could change!
Reply 351

Bristol do economics with year in europe, and germany was one of them. Also I think the entrance requirements are lower than straight economics,

AAA - ABB as opposed to A*AA - ABB

Anyway I wouldn't mind doing a year in USA, but not too many (if any at all) universities I am interested in do specifically USA (UCLA as well if I was being picky). Which sucks :frown: ah well, I might go there in a potential gap year.
Reply 352
Original post by Groat
I thought I'd revive this thread a bit!

What open days have you guys got booked in the calendar? I'd like to see Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, York, Durham and Exeter in the upcoming months.

I'm going to Cambridge, Bath, Nottingham open days so far, I should probably book some more, like the one's I'm not sure about yet.

UCL doesn't really appeal to me for some reason, will you be applying there for straight economics or L101 either way? Why not LSE?
Reply 353
Original post by Retro.spex
I've thought about Economics more recently, I know it's not just Maths but it's always been something I've liked and been good at. I don't do further maths though and didn't get the option to do Economics, although I wish I'd been able to. Maybe I'd know more about it then.

A lot of people do apply to economics degrees lacking economics, in most cases it won't put you at much of a disadvantage. What are your other subjects?
Reply 354
Yeah applying for Economics.. Possibly joint honours with either maths or econometrics (at unis that do it)
Taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Music for AS - dropping music for A2. Predicted 4 A's this year.
Got 100/100 in C1, 94/100 in ECON1, and 90/100 in D1.
Looking to apply to Cambridge, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews and Nottingham.. A bit optimistic (GCSE grades were distinctly average) but why not!
Reply 355
Original post by itrader
Me hopefully< in January I did f581 and f582 the first 2 Economics Modules and got A A with a B in Physics now I've just got physics unit 2, politics and french in June..

So uni wise... Looking at Warwick, City university London,Lancaster,Surrey and York

Isn't A2 maths a requirement for Warwick?
Original post by tateco
A lot of people do apply to economics degrees lacking economics, in most cases it won't put you at much of a disadvantage. What are your other subjects?

Apart from Maths it's English Lit, French and History. So no sciences or further maths, but I think as long as I try my best now and achieve good AS's, there's no reason why that should be a problem?

(And I'm planning on carrying on with maths obviously)
Reply 357
Original post by Retro.spex
Apart from Maths it's English Lit, French and History. So no sciences or further maths, but I think as long as I try my best now and achieve good AS's, there's no reason why that should be a problem?

(And I'm planning on carrying on with maths obviously)

They're strong, and sciences are in no way better than essay subjects like you have. In fact if I was to pick 3 essay based subjects (other than economics) that would look good on applying it would be those three :P

What myself and a few others on this forum are doing is taking up a further maths AS in the second year to improve our chances upon applying and show commitment. Further maths is definitely going to be more respected for the top 5 (as a fourth A-level/AS) than an economics A-level
Original post by tateco
They're strong, and sciences are in no way better than essay subjects like you have. In fact if I was to pick 3 essay based subjects (other than economics) that would look good on applying it would be those three :P

What myself and a few others on this forum are doing is taking up a further maths AS in the second year to improve our chances upon applying and show commitment. Further maths is definitely going to be more respected for the top 5 (as a fourth A-level/AS) than an economics A-level

Oh that's good then :tongue: I do really enjoy them too, just gotta knuckle down.

So do you think I'd need to do that? I know it's really lazy of me, but I think I want to drop English Lit next year. So I could pick up Further Maths I suppose. I enjoy Maths waaaaay more than English. But the grades will tell me I suppose!
Reply 359
Original post by tateco
I'm going to Cambridge, Bath, Nottingham open days so far, I should probably book some more, like the one's I'm not sure about yet.

UCL doesn't really appeal to me for some reason, will you be applying there for straight economics or L101 either way? Why not LSE?

I've already been to LSE's open day! I think I'll definitely apply to UCL, it's just a decision on which course to pick. My brain is telling me the sensible choice would be L100.

Original post by joshgoldman
Yeah applying for Economics.. Possibly joint honours with either maths or econometrics (at unis that do it)
Taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Music for AS - dropping music for A2. Predicted 4 A's this year.
Got 100/100 in C1, 94/100 in ECON1, and 90/100 in D1.
Looking to apply to Cambridge, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews and Nottingham.. A bit optimistic (GCSE grades were distinctly average) but why not!

3A* 7A isn't an average set of GCSE grades! Be proud of what you have and stay motivated to do even better at AS-Level.

Why exactly do you want to do Economics with Econometrics? I can't imagine many people having a good perception of what Econometrics really is at this stage, but prove me wrong.

How far from London do you live? I would consider St. Andrews as it looks amazing but I feel Scotland's slightly too far to be a reasonable choice. Durham is my threshold. :colondollar: