The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Apparently im gonna be a reapplicant. Not intirely sure what to do to improve so any tips would be appreciated.
Original post by ASB31
Apparently im gonna be a reapplicant. Not intirely sure what to do to improve so any tips would be appreciated.

My tip would be to get a gun and go on a rampage and target admissions. :lockstock:

Lol. Only joking, mate. No, really you can if you want. :colone:

The best thing would be to get more varied work experience. Probably a job within healthcare.

Also, focus on the ukcat. If you do well in it, then you can easily guarantee yourself 4 interviews.

That is my plan. If I do well in the ukcat, I know that my chances of getting into medicine will increase, as I will have 4 interviews. :smile:
Reply 1122
Original post by firestar101
My tip would be to get a gun and go on a rampage and target admissions. :lockstock:

Lol. Only joking, mate. No, really you can if you want. :colone:

The best thing would be to get more varied work experience. Probably a job within healthcare.

Also, focus on the ukcat. If you do well in it, then you can easily guarantee yourself 4 interviews.

That is my plan. If I do well in the ukcat, I know that my chances of getting into medicine will increase, as I will have 4 interviews. :smile:

lol Slightly psycho :P
I did ok in Ukcat last year but i will defo focus on it this year i think i was probaly lacking in voluntary work to be honest but will defo try and get a medical job just not sure what :s
Reply 1123
my back :frown: also new girl at work, really hot :coma:
Original post by Anterior view
Anyone had any feedback from St Andrews yet?

Nope, I emailed their admissions office about feedback and all they said was "There's no need to write a letter, we will pass on your request for detailed feedback" I guess we're all just playing the waiting game :smile:
Reply 1125
I have four rejections as well. I applied to Newcastle, Leicester, HYMS and Nottingham. My UKCAT average was 687.5

Newcastle: Post-interview Rejection. Just got feedback, one selector graded me very positively, the other not so much
Leicester: Post-interview Rejection. Not surprised with a rejection to be honest - i don't remember the interview going too well
HYMS: Post-interview Rejection. Again, not surprised - I was sooooo nervous before this one, and i think it showed.
Nottingham: Pre-Interview Rejection

I'm now in the same boat as most of the others on this thread - my mind is set on doing medicine. I think taking a gap year and reapplying is what i'm going to do. I did consider going down the postgraduate route into medicine (i have an offer for biomedical science at Newcastle), but i can't bear the thought of 3 years in a course i don't really want to be doing

I've spent the past 3 weeks feeling pretty miserable. I know there are a lot of positive's to taking a gap year, but all the same i can't get over the feeling that i'm going to be all on my own and a year behind everyone else.

Just wanted to say HI EVERYONE! i think i'm going to be here for the long haul now :banana:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Anterior view
Anyone had any feedback from St Andrews yet?

I did, I got some yesterday in the post :smile: Mines basically said that my ukcat was above the cut off but not outstanding, my non-academic acheivements were good but again not outstanding , and that they didnt take AS grades into account so my score wasn't as high as those who had their A-levels or S1/6 (i cant remember which).

Was quite positive when reading through whole thing - they put on it that i was rated very good in interview for reflection on work experience and between good and very good for knowledge of course and blah :smile:

You had any back yet?
Original post by platty1907
Nope, I emailed their admissions office about feedback and all they said was "There's no need to write a letter, we will pass on your request for detailed feedback" I guess we're all just playing the waiting game :smile:

Thats exactly what I did, I got same reply back and I got a letter about it yesterday :smile: so that probably means they're starting to get through them now :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
I did, I got some yesterday in the post :smile: Mines basically said that my ukcat was above the cut off but not outstanding, my non-academic acheivements were good but again not outstanding , and that they didnt take AS grades into account so my score wasn't as high as those who had their A-levels or S1/6 (i cant remember which).

Was quite positive when reading through whole thing - they put on it that i was rated very good in interview for reflection on work experience and between good and very good for knowledge of course and blah :smile:

You had any back yet?

I havent heard anything maybe over the next few days then:rolleyes:
Original post by platty1907

I e-mailed them asking for feedback they replied saying I had to write to them so I did: It would have been easier if i could just have sent the e-mail cause at least you know theyve got it:tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1130
I'm all out now so I'll be reapplying next year:frown::frown::frown: I feel like such a failure
Reply 1131
Original post by pan_93
I'm all out now so I'll be reapplying next year:frown::frown::frown: I feel like such a failure

If you're a failure, so is everyone else on this thread :unimpressed:

No but seriously, don't feel like you're a failure. This thread is the perfect example of loads of REALLY good applicants who didn't get in this year. The competition is really high.

Take it as a learning experience. This is the first thing I've ever REALLY failed at. I've done badly, but I've been able to take it back and improve it. But not this. This year I'm not going to university, and I can't change that. But its given me all these chances I would never have had otherwise. And its also shown me how much I really do want medicine. I've never wanted something so much, and it took me NOT GETTING IT to realise that.

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Could be because you called Barts and the London "Queen Mary"
If you reapply there then whatever you do don't call it Queen Mary at an interview :tongue:

You say you're admissions tests let you down? What UKCAT and BMAT did you get? :dontknow:

Haha, you really don't like it when people call Barts and the London Queen Mary :P
Reply 1132
Original post by pan_93

You didn't exactly apply to the easiest of uni, not that anything is easy for medicine
Reply 1133
Original post by dmz
You didn't exactly apply to the easiest of uni, not that anything is easy for medicine

I know...I think I went too competitive:frown:
Reply 1134
Original post by pan_93
I know...I think I went too competitive:frown:

yer, you did. Not saying it would or wouldn't have happened with other uni's cos i've heard of people with offers from cambridge and rejection from 'ordinary - no such thing with medicine' uni's, but should have had at least 2 normal ones. I mean it's still brilliant people that get rejected
Reply 1135
Original post by dmz
yer, you did. Not saying it would or wouldn't have happened with other uni's cos i've heard of people with offers from cambridge and rejection from 'ordinary - no such thing with medicine' uni's, but should have had at least 2 normal ones. I mean it's still brilliant people that get rejected

Yeah I guess:frown: I kind of expected it though. Where would you recommend i look at for next year?
Reply 1136
Original post by pan_93
Yeah I guess:frown: I kind of expected it though. Where would you recommend i look at for next year?

well it's best to start with an open mind tbh, having specific uni's in mind, or snobbing some, or applying to some cos you think they're easy is a bad way to go. Know what your strong point is, research uni's in details and know which one favours what you have
Does anyone here watch bizarre ER on bbc iplayer. Very interesting cases.
First of all, I would say, smash the A-levels, work really hard and get the three A'S, or even, 3 A*s. Then, imagine... you take on the UKCAT again, with better experience, and hopefully improve. Then, re-apply in September, with a MUCH better application form, and awesome A-levels already at hand. Imagine, getting an unconditional offer in like December, then having from January to September/October to do JACK all :biggrin:
Think positive people!
Original post by The_Tarin
First of all, I would say, smash the A-levels, work really hard and get the three A'S, or even, 3 A*s. Then, imagine... you take on the UKCAT again, with better experience, and hopefully improve. Then, re-apply in September, with a MUCH better application form, and awesome A-levels already at hand. Imagine, getting an unconditional offer in like December, then having from January to September/October to do JACK all :biggrin:
Think positive people!

You is right, man. :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending