The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quackers93
Thats exactly what I did, I got same reply back and I got a letter about it yesterday :smile: so that probably means they're starting to get through them now :smile:

Was this letter you got the detailed feedback that you were after?
If so, how did you feel they evaluated you?
Heyyy!!
Just joined TSR, been rejected by 4 med schools, definitely going to reapply for 2012 entry. No need to give an essay about myself, think my username is pretty self-explanatory - unlike some of the selection criteria of the med schools i applied to, but that's neither here nor there.. :smile:
I've got a new outlook on life: Don't be bitter about what you can't change. Just do what you can and leave the rest up to the monkeys that pull the names out of the hats :wink:
Original post by The_Tarin
First of all, I would say, smash the A-levels, work really hard and get the three A'S, or even, 3 A*s. Then, imagine... you take on the UKCAT again, with better experience, and hopefully improve. Then, re-apply in September, with a MUCH better application form, and awesome A-levels already at hand. Imagine, getting an unconditional offer in like December, then having from January to September/October to do JACK all :biggrin:
Think positive people!

Exactly my philosophy!
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Heyyy!!
Just joined TSR, been rejected by 4 med schools, definitely going to reapply for 2012 entry. No need to give an essay about myself, think my username is pretty self-explanatory - unlike some of the selection criteria of the med schools i applied to, but that's neither here nor there.. :smile:
I've got a new outlook on life: Don't be bitter about what you can't change. Just do what you can and leave the rest up to the monkeys that pull the names out of the hats :wink:

There are monkeys that pull names out of hats. :eek:

Joking. Sorry to hear about your rejections. Good luck in 2012 entry.:smile:
Original post by twelve
If you're a failure, so is everyone else on this thread :unimpressed:

No but seriously, don't feel like you're a failure. This thread is the perfect example of loads of REALLY good applicants who didn't get in this year. The competition is really high.

Take it as a learning experience. This is the first thing I've ever REALLY failed at. I've done badly, but I've been able to take it back and improve it. But not this. This year I'm not going to university, and I can't change that. But its given me all these chances I would never have had otherwise. And its also shown me how much I really do want medicine. I've never wanted something so much, and it took me NOT GETTING IT to realise that.

Haha, you really don't like it when people call Barts and the London Queen Mary :P

That's because we're Barts and the London, NOT Queen Mary :fuhrer:

:ninja:
Original post by firestar101
There are monkeys that pull names out of hats. :eek:

Joking. Sorry to hear about your rejections. Good luck in 2012 entry.:smile:

Haha was referring to the medical admissions tutors. Perhaps I'm still a little bit bitter, just a little.. :smile:
& thank you btw. Good luck to you as well.
Reply 1146
*subscribes*

Hey guys. Recieved 4 rejections for medicine for the 2nd time running, got an offer for med phys. Considering reapplying for med again one more time but my parents aren't exactly 'on board'.

Just thought i'd say hi lol. Anyone else gonna be a 2nd time reapplicant? :smile:
Original post by Eddie91

Original post by Eddie91
*subscribes*

Hey guys. Recieved 4 rejections for medicine for the 2nd time running, got an offer for med phys. Considering reapplying for med again one more time but my parents aren't exactly 'on board'.

Just thought i'd say hi lol. Anyone else gonna be a 2nd time reapplicant? :smile:

I wasn't and won't be a second time re-applicant but I'd say that if you can put up with another year at home then by all means re-apply again! :yep:

It worked out ok for tikkitak and haleem :h:

And anyway imo your parents can shove it.. they might be trying to protect you or something but it's your life so do what you want in my opinion :penguinhug:

Anyway don't know why I'm posting but rebel and do what feels right :colone:
Reply 1148
Original post by firestar101
Does anyone here watch bizarre ER on bbc iplayer. Very interesting cases.

Bizzare ER is awesome....:yep:

At one point too they had an animal one too :ninja:
Hey can anyone offer some advice?
I've got 4A*s, 5As and 1B (taken 2 years early) at GCSE
Predicted A*A*A, not being cocky or anything but I'm confident of my A levels as my head of year is very realistic (sometimes depressing) with predicted grades/uni advice..
I know if I focus, i can improve my UKCAT of 620. Not going to bother with the BMAT.
Providing I fulfill this and work for a year as a HCA, which kind of unis should i be looking at/avoiding, don't want my GCSEs to hinder my app in any way
Was thinking Southampton, Liverpool and Keele so far, any suggestions??
Reply 1150
Hey can anyone offer some advice?
I've got 4A*s, 5As and 1B (taken 2 years early) at GCSE
Predicted A*A*A, not being cocky or anything but I'm confident of my A levels as my head of year is very realistic (sometimes depressing) with predicted grades/uni advice..
I know if I focus, i can improve my UKCAT of 620. Not going to bother with the BMAT.
Providing I fulfill this and work for a year as a HCA, which kind of unis should i be looking at/avoiding, don't want my GCSEs to hinder my app in any way
Was thinking Southampton, Liverpool and Keele so far, any suggestions??

I could be wrong, but I think Liverpool like lots of A*'s at GCSE? I may have got that completely wrong, but I seem to remember someone saying it.

It all seems to ride on the UKCAT, for everyone, not just you. You'll need to make a list of 'improved UKCAT universities', and 'not much improved UKCAT universities' :/
Original post by twelve
I could be wrong, but I think Liverpool like lots of A*'s at GCSE? I may have got that completely wrong, but I seem to remember someone saying it.

It all seems to ride on the UKCAT, for everyone, not just you. You'll need to make a list of 'improved UKCAT universities', and 'not much improved UKCAT universities' :/

That's actually what I've tried to do, I've made a lists of unis to apply to according to the outcome of my a levels/UKCAT and I've emailed uni's to try to squeeze info out of them about their selection process, because i want to be as realistic as possible this time around.

Also, it seems that Liverpool score As and A*s the same way as they are both worth 2 points. Rang in to ask about this and my exact words were, "So you mean to say those with 8As at GCSE will be scored the EXACT same way as those with 8A*s?" the admissions guy said yes. I want to believe him, but not sure if this is REALLY how it it goes. Just don't want my lack of A*s at GCSEs to come back at bite me..
Don't know if I'm just being paranoid.. :s-smilie:
Reply 1152
That's actually what I've tried to do, I've made a lists of unis to apply to according to the outcome of my a levels/UKCAT and I've emailed uni's to try to squeeze info out of them about their selection process, because i want to be as realistic as possible this time around.

Also, it seems that Liverpool score As and A*s the same way as they are both worth 2 points. Rang in to ask about this and my exact words were, "So you mean to say those with 8As at GCSE will be scored the EXACT same way as those with 8A*s?" the admissions guy said yes. I want to believe him, but not sure if this is REALLY how it it goes. Just don't want my lack of A*s at GCSEs to come back at bite me..
Don't know if I'm just being paranoid.. :s-smilie:

Yeah, I know. If it was me, I'd say not to take the risk, but it depends how your other options are looking :smile:
Original post by twelve
Yeah, I know. If it was me, I'd say not to take the risk, but it depends how your other options are looking :smile:

Yeah i agree, you only get four choices after all! Plus I plan ahead too much but i think we'll all be in a better position to decide after exams and the UKCAT. Good luck with your application! - Your grades look really good btw :smile:
Does anyone know the best way to get a HCA job?
Without knowing some people who know some people..
Original post by platty1907
Was this letter you got the detailed feedback that you were after?
If so, how did you feel they evaluated you?

yeah it was better than the generic 'stronger applicants than you applied' wich was oh so helpful :tongue: it covered quite a few different areas and has given me an idea abut what was good but could be bettter and stuff. general gist i got from it was that ukcat could be better and grades (i'll get better marks whe i actually get my grades) oh and to improve on non-academclic stuff as it was good but not outstanding.

glad i got feedback though got stuff to aim for next year :smile:
Does anyone know the best way to get a HCA job?
Without knowing some people who know some people..

Look in your local paper ours always has adverts for full/part time carers - if you can drive. Also Reed job agency on line lists HCA jobs. Other than that it might be worth a shot sending a CV into your local hospital.
Original post by -Taz-
I have four rejections as well. I applied to Newcastle, Leicester, HYMS and Nottingham. My UKCAT average was 687.5

Newcastle: Post-interview Rejection. Just got feedback, one selector graded me very positively, the other not so much
Leicester: Post-interview Rejection. Not surprised with a rejection to be honest - i don't remember the interview going too well
HYMS: Post-interview Rejection. Again, not surprised - I was sooooo nervous before this one, and i think it showed.
Nottingham: Pre-Interview Rejection

My son had post interview rejection from Newcastle too -just the same mainly merits from one interviewer and mainly satisfactory from the other!

Peninsula post interview rejection - score needed 18.33 to get an offer he scored 18.25!! Said his answers were too short and didn't display teamwork.(think he didn't refer to his PS enough)

Keele and Brighton rejected pre interview.

I'm now in the same boat as most of the others on this thread - my mind is set on doing medicine. I think taking a gap year and reapplying is what i'm going to do. I did consider going down the postgraduate route into medicine (i have an offer for biomedical science at Newcastle), but i can't bear the thought of 3 years in a course i don't really want to be doing

He is working hard to get his grades and will see what he can do then but prob apply to 3 medicine and 2 others.

I've spent the past 3 weeks feeling pretty miserable. I know there are a lot of positive's to taking a gap year, but all the same i can't get over the feeling that i'm going to be all on my own and a year behind everyone else.

He was feeling exactly the same and most of his friends will be going to uni in September but is feeling more positive now and is hoping that if he can get a full time job will have a little bit of money behind him for when he does get to uni.

Just wanted to say HI EVERYONE! i think i'm going to be here for the long haul now :banana:

Good luck
Whoops - didn't get the quote thing right in the last message - was hoping my replies would be in between boxes showing your message - hope you can make out hat I was saying
Reply 1159
Original post by agonyaunt
Look in your local paper ours always has adverts for full/part time carers - if you can drive. Also Reed job agency on line lists HCA jobs. Other than that it might be worth a shot sending a CV into your local hospital.

This, and look on the NHS jobs website. I check it daily haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending