The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
DLA (Disability Living Allowance) and DSA (Disabled Student Allowance) are two totally different things and you can get both at the same time or either or none depends on your personal circumstances and needs. I'd say there is no harm in applying if you think you would benefit from either or both of these. As River85 has stated, DSA doesn't usually involve any money, when I applied I called and ask if I would be given the money to buy equipment and whatever else they think would benefit my studies, they said no and I was quite glad to hear it coz I am rubbish in managing my money. The only time they will pay you some money is when you have bought something they have approved like a book or sth.
Original post by wactm
If you have a real issue go for DLA (ive never heard of DSA, googled and i just saw things about driving). My brother has aspergers/autism and gets the maxiumum amount(its like ÂŁ2-300 a month i think). I know someone who is blind in one eye and lost an arm yet they get a quarter of what my brother gets.

Bro just joined the army and they didnt think his aspergers/autism was a problem during his medical yet DLA still think it is so he still gets the money, they put him through another diagnosis and they said nothing had changed, whereas for the army he just provided two referencse from college lecturers stating it wouldnt be an issue and they were happy with it. Thats how messed up the system is.

My younger brother also gets it but I feel my younger brother actually needs more than the grant provides. Oh well.

tl:dr if you have a real problem ('diagnosed') go get some monehs with DLA. I know nothign about DSA

With all due respect, if you know nothing about DSA, why comment on the thread? :s-smilie:
As other people on here have already said, DLA and DSA are different.
Reply 22
Original post by diamonddust
With all due respect, if you know nothing about DSA, why comment on the thread? :s-smilie:
As other people on here have already said, DLA and DSA are different.

Because if your disabled DLA is a great extra source of money...?

Calm down.
Reply 23
Original post by paper-wings

I am going to Bristol University (I have an unconditional), and they have a mental health mentoring system, which I would find really helpful, but you need DSA to do it. I'm not fussed about a laptop or that, but if they think of anything that may help, I am open to suggestions from the DSA team.

What sort of things do people get?

Keep in mind that, as well as bipolar II, I also have dyspraxia and (controlled) epilepsy. Some of these reccodentations won't be relevant to you but, on the other hand, you will probably need things I didn't.

I had two assessments (2004, 2007). After my second assessment this is the total amount of things recommended: -

1. I can have the difference between first and standard class travel, when travelling at peak times, paid for me. This will, to some, be controversial. It is not "free" first class travel, as I would still be paying for most of it, and it is not something I would be able to do every day of the week. Anyway, by the time of this assessment I had finished commuting so never took advantage of it.

2. Voice Recorder for recording lectures

3. In my first assessment I was given an alphasmart keyboard. This is a small, portable, word processor used for typing lecture notes and things. I would have be given a laptop instead but, as I had already bought my own PC that month, I wasn't entitled to it.

4. By my second assessment this PC was, to tall inents and purposes, broken. So a laptop was suggested.

5. As well as the laptop computer software (Microsoft Office 2007 including OneNote) and Inspirations (mind maping software - useful for organising notes, revision and planning essays).

6. About five hours (ÂŁ500 worth) of computer training. As I knew how to use a computer and the software I did not take them up on this.

7. Money for non-academic helper/study skills tutor. As mentioned, this was largely a mentor to help me improve my confidence, discuss concerns with, and just help keep track of my progress. I've never struggled with study skills so didn't really need the study skills sessions.

8. ÂŁ400 for books and photocopying.

9. A Personal Digital Assistant (in my case an IPAQ - used to improve my organisational skills)

I have found the PDA and voice recorder useful although I don't use the PDA any more after I bought an IPad (with my own money :p: ) The laptop was, of course, essential. Although because of my strange situation it wasn't until two years after I bought it, with my own money, that I actually restarted university and was reimbursed.

Laptops are rarely recommended any more, I believe, as they are more expensive and not as future proof. Unless portability is necessary then most people, who the assessor decides require a PC, will be given in a desktop in most cases.

Puttting the DLA stuff in a spoiler :p:

Spoiler

Reply 24
Wow! I didn't have internet the last few days, so I was pretty suprised when I saw the amount of comments this morning! Thanks for all your help everyone. I will talk to my psychiatrist about getting a letter sorted and just see what happens :smile: Thanks again :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My assessor is writing to SFE recommending the following things, for depression and psychosis (possible schizophrenia):

- Mac book Pro with film editing and music software and Microsoft Office
- Printer
- Scanner
- Note taker
- Mentor
- Taxi and uni travel (one-day travel card) allowance
- Dictaphone

Think there might be a photocopying allowance too. I went in there hoping for a dictaphone and printer :o:

I have complex mental health problems so I know what it is like.

But I am unsure why all the things above are some thing a person with mental health problems get for free and all the healthy student have to buy their own or use the uni facilities?

Im not arguing or saying it is wrong, I just want to know how a printer and a scanner helps?
Reply 26
Original post by anon2010

Im not arguing or saying it is wrong, I just want to know how a printer and a scanner helps?

My brother has Asperger's and suffers from panic attacks too. He received a laptop, printed and scanner as well as software to convert handwritten notes into text documents.
He's found it extremely useful as the library at his university isn't open 24-hours and he would have to pay for scanning notes. He also would have problems if the computers were being used or if the printer wasn't available when he was planning to print his notes.
He also get money for taxi's from his flat to his lectures. He rarely does this but if it's raining or he's running late he gets extremely anxious on public transport (he basically can't use it) so it's either he walks and is late/gets soaked or gets a taxi which is paid for by DSA if he sends them the receipts.
Reply 27
Original post by VaVe
My brother has Asperger's and suffers from panic attacks too. He received a laptop, printed and scanner as well as software to convert handwritten notes into text documents.
He's found it extremely useful as the library at his university isn't open 24-hours and he would have to pay for scanning notes. He also would have problems if the computers were being used or if the printer wasn't available when he was planning to print his notes.
He also get money for taxi's from his flat to his lectures. He rarely does this but if it's raining or he's running late he gets extremely anxious on public transport (he basically can't use it) so it's either he walks and is late/gets soaked or gets a taxi which is paid for by DSA if he sends them the receipts.

Thank I totally get the anxiety thing and I understand why people need a mentor but the library not being 24hour and the computers being used or a printer not being available is a problem for all student not just the disabled ones. I go to a uni where the library is busy all the time and it is difficult to get a computer.

Like I said Im not saying it is wrong I totally think people with MH problems should get more support however there is something about the current entitlements that make it very difficult for student who are healthy and I dont think that is fair.

Im know the system isnt perfect but I guess I would prefer the money spent on laptops and printers should instead be invested on helping people cope with the MH problem in a normal environment. Like providing more counselling and support groups at universities (I know these already exist but there are never enough and people have to wait on waiting lists for too long or dont get enough sessions).
Reply 28
Thank I totally get the anxiety thing and I understand why people need a mentor but the library not being 24hour and the computers being used or a printer not being available is a problem for all student not just the disabled ones. I go to a uni where the library is busy all the time and it is difficult to get a computer.

I agree it is an issue for everyone but for example, most students would write their essay and then wait until the library was open to print it off whereas my brother would want to go stand outside the library and wait for it to open to print it off. He also doesn't like sitting with his back to other people/doors/windows which can make it hard for him to sit in a library at a computer. In his room he can set up the laptop in a way that makes him feel comfortable.

Like I said Im not saying it is wrong I totally think people with MH problems should get more support however there is something about the current entitlements that make it very difficult for student who are healthy and I dont think that is fair.
Im know the system isnt perfect but I guess I would prefer the money spent on laptops and printers should instead be invested on helping people cope with the MH problem in a normal environment. Like providing more counselling and support groups at universities (I know these already exist but there are never enough and people have to wait on waiting lists for too long or dont get enough sessions).

Agreed but as the system isn't perfect if DSA can help students who need extra support even if the support isn't in the ideal way then it's a good thing.
I have complex mental health problems so I know what it is like.

But I am unsure why all the things above are some thing a person with mental health problems get for free and all the healthy student have to buy their own or use the uni facilities?

Well I can't really answer about why I'm getting it free and healthy students aren't. I don't know much about DSA or how the system works. My assessor said that she wanted to make sure that my health problems don't impact upon my potential to do very well :dontknow: I certainly am not in a position to buy much of this stuff myself and my parents aren't really in a position to support me that way either :nah:

I'm being given all this stuff because I have a phobia of academic libraries, due to often getting psychotic attacks in them. The idea of having a printer, scanner and laptop with all the software needed for my course is that I can spend as little time in my uni library as possible and that I have access to everything at home so that I can work whenever my health permits, rather than having to force myself to go into college and having psychotic attacks :yes:

I hope that answers your question adequately :smile:
Just booked my needs assessment. Can't believe
I used the phone and didn't spend a week psyching myself up! :eek3: The receptionist was so friendly! I'm sort of scared now... how can they even help me? I've also sort of misplaced my doctor's letter...
Original post by River85
Books and photocopying. If someone is commuting by train and finds commuting difficult (people with mental health conditions can find particularly bus environments very stressful and can worsen their condition - I know how packed trains can get) then the DSA will possibly pay for the difference between first class and standard class travel during peak times.

So true. :sigh:

I already have DSA for something else, I think I'd be asking too much :sadnod:
(edited 13 years ago)
I sent my DSA form off about a month ago now, and still haven't heard anything. Is this normal? I'm getting really worried :frown:
Reply 33
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
I already have DSA for something else, I think I'd be asking too much :sadnod:

Yea me too. I get DSA for my dyslexia, so to add my MH problems would feel greedy. Plus all the extra paperwork just feels too stressful.
Reply 34
Yea me too. I get DSA for my dyslexia, so to add my MH problems would feel greedy. Plus all the extra paperwork just feels too stressful.

There is nothing wrong with it, your needs for dyslexia and mental health problems are proabably gonna be similar in many respect so if it were me, I'd make sure they cover everything just in case, they have a cap on how much funding they can give you unless your needs are very very complex which I guess it isn't common. Basically, you won't get a computer per a condition so to speak, and some of the assistive software they have recommanded for me are same as the ones for dyslexia so if you were to include both, you would probably end up getting a similar package than just stating one condition. I don't see why it'd be greedy at all.
Reply 35
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My assessor is writing to SFE recommending the following things, for depression and psychosis (possible schizophrenia):

- Mac book Pro with film editing and music software and Microsoft Office
- Printer
- Scanner
- Note taker
- Mentor
- Taxi and uni travel (one-day travel card) allowance
- Dictaphone

Think there might be a photocopying allowance too. I went in there hoping for a dictaphone and printer :o:

How on earth is your assessor justifying the cost of a MBP over similarly specced laptops for significantly less money?
Original post by Butane
How on earth is your assessor justifying the cost of a MBP over similarly specced laptops for significantly less money?

The film editing software only works on an MBP :yes:
Reply 37
Original post by Butane

Also it's about which platform the student is most comfortable with. It'd not be in the best interest of the student if s/he's been using a Mac and get him/her a PC just because it's cheaper. If they really wanted to do it, they would have to provide training for how to use the computer which I am pretty sure would end up cost SFE more money. The computer training that was recommanded on my report cost ÂŁ250 per half day, depite the fact I have already indicated I don't need any training as my day time just is computer support. So if they were to give me a PC instead of a Mac, yes, they might save themselve a few hundreds on the machine, but then they would have to provide training for me to "learn" how to use a PC.

I told my assessor I use and can use both platforms, but he insisted I chose one that I use at home, which is a Mac. And The_Lonely_Goatherd is right, Final Cut only works on a Mac. If you were doing a law degree, then it might be justifiable to recommand a PC unless you have been using a Mac for a number of years.
Reply 38
Original post by River85
Books and photocopying. If someone is commuting by train and finds commuting difficult (people with mental health conditions can find particularly bus environments very stressful and can worsen their condition - I know how packed trains can get) then the DSA will possibly pay for the difference between first class and standard class travel during peak times.

The DSA will possibly cover a helper. A mentor, for example, who the student is able to meet on a regular basis to discuss problems and also to discover ways of coping with university study, relieve anxiety, and improve confidence (if confidence is a problem). This will not be money the student will receive to give to the mentor (or company providing the mentor). It will be paid by the student body.

Unfortunately this is unlikely as it is not a direct academic cost.

I'm curious what the reason is behind free books and photocoping?
It's something i've never quite understood when it comes to these allowances.
For some people i can see the benefit for books, if they have poor eye sight for example and need special ones.

But every student has to buy books...

My friend with Aspergers also get's an allowance for books, can he can't much see the reasons for it either.

Likewise with printing allowances. I really struggle to see how it benefits?

I'm not attacking anyone btw, just wanting to listen and learn =)
Reply 39
Original post by AshleyT
I'm curious what the reason is behind free books and photocoping?
It's something i've never quite understood when it comes to these allowances.
For some people i can see the benefit for books, if they have poor eye sight for example and need special ones.

But every student has to buy books...

My friend with Aspergers also get's an allowance for books, can he can't much see the reasons for it either.

Likewise with printing allowances. I really struggle to see how it benefits?

I'm not attacking anyone btw, just wanting to listen and learn =)

The reason can vary on a case by case basis. When I had my original assessment the book allowance was never discussed (when receiving the provisional needs assessment report I was quite surprised to see it included).

I assumed it's because someone with a disability or health condition, take depression for example, may have frequent periods of ill health and this can disrupt work. As a result they may need to have library books for longer than usual and this places a strain on library resources, or it's not always possible to extend loans.

So money is given to provide for these books. But keep in mind that the allowance is only for additional books. Not for books all students are expected to purchase (key texts, for example). And, although books can be found first hand fairly cheaply, academic books can be quite expensive. So a ÂŁ300 allowance doesn't always stretch too far partcularly when buying books first hand.

Latest