The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
GCSEs: 2A* 7A 1B
AS: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics
Universities: Oxford/Warwick/Bristol/Bath/Manchester/Nottingham/Leeds
Preperation: So far I've read Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh, and I'm trying to wade my way through Chaos by James Gleick, which is very focused on interdisciplinary fields of Maths, and I'm finding it a bit dull and tedious.

I am practicing STEP 1 papers at the moment, and I am getting to the stage where I can get correct answers now. Just wondering if anyone else has practiced STEP papers at this stage, do they come to you straight away? Because at first I found them very difficult.

No work experience yet, I was declined by the Nuffield Bursary :frown:. I've applied for various things including the Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge (which is a long shot). I am however attending the Making Maths at Manchester course in July, is anyone else from TSR going to be there?
Original post by fGDu
Preperation: So far I've read Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh, and I'm trying to wade my way through Chaos by James Gleick, which is very focused on interdisciplinary fields of Maths, and I'm finding it a bit dull and tedious.

I am practicing STEP 1 papers at the moment, and I am getting to the stage where I can get correct answers now. Just wondering if anyone else has practiced STEP papers at this stage, do they come to you straight away? Because at first I found them very difficult.

No work experience yet, I was declined by the Nuffield Bursary :frown:. I've applied for various things including the Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge (which is a long shot). I am however attending the Making Maths at Manchester course in July, is anyone else from TSR going to be there?

Why is Oxford smaller :tongue:
Not done much STEP but some questions (STEP I) come to me straight away.

We got told about that course in Manchester, I don't think I'll go though because it costs £?? doesn't it, and I live in Manchester :|, Haven't really looked at it though.
Reply 242
Original post by dnumberwang
Why is Oxford smaller :tongue:
Not done much STEP but some questions (STEP I) come to me straight away.

We got told about that course in Manchester, I don't think I'll go though because it costs £?? doesn't it, and I live in Manchester :|, Haven't really looked at it though.

I'm not sure I could make a competitive application to Oxford, so it's in the maybe list for now. The Manchester course is £65 I think, I can understand not wanting to study in your home city, I am from Chester so Manchester is probably the closest university I would consider.
Reply 243
Anyone who's only done as maths/further and is starting out with STEP, I'd recommend the 2004 paper, questions 1, 2, 3, 5 and 8 can be done with AS maths only.
I'm doing STEP and I'm relatively happy about it. It's got the stage where I have submitted solutions to questions that no one else has for STEP II as well as STEP I. I actually quite look forward to doing them.
Whats STEP???
Reply 246
Original post by BeccaCath94
Whats STEP???

Aptitude test for Cambridge and Warwick maths/computer science applicants. Imperial tend to ask for it too.
Original post by mir3a
Aptitude test for Cambridge and Warwick maths/computer science applicants. Imperial tend to ask for it too.

Do you only need to do them if you're applying for those unis?
Sorry ive never heard of them before!

Bath have asked some people for it this year as well (and maybe Bristol?)
Reply 249

Yes, for Cambridge and Warwick you'll be guaranteed to sit and achieve results in any of the three STEP papers available. Imperial there is a very high chance they ask you to do it as a part of their offer too. If you're applying next year, its best doing it next summer, when most applicants sit the exams.
Applying for Mathematics and Philosophy.
Can't remember my GCSEs exactly: A*s, some As, couple of Bs, a D.
AS Levels: AAAA no FM
Predicted A levels: hoping for AA*A* (with the A in Maths unfortunately...) without FM. However I am ill this year so my grades might not go to plan :frown:

Thinking of St. Andrews (Logic and Philosophy of Science with Maths), Lancaster, Bristol and Sheffield, with Oxford as an absolute first choice if I get the grades (I'm in Y13 - had I applied this year they would've wanted 3 As, now they want 2 A*s and an A with an A* in Maths ;( ).

I'm already reading as much as possible about maths, the philosophy of maths and philosophy, and I'll be able to do much more in my gap year. I plan on doing STEP and working through Engineering Mathematics and Further Engineering Mathematics as they have been highly reccomended. I'll consider doing FM in my gap year but I have CFS and all this plus a job is likely to be too much.

Books I've read so far and can reccomend are: The Philosophy of Mathematics - James Brown (if you like/are good at philosophy - he presents his own views as fact a lot), Marcus DuSautoy - Finding Moonshine, Ian Stewart - From Here to Infinity (read another of his and hated it, love this).
Original post by fGDu

This is quite reassuring to see someone with similar gcse's and the exact same AS levels as me. everyone on this thread has like 5-11A*'s at gcse.
Reply 252
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
This is quite reassuring to see someone with similar gcse's and the exact same AS levels as me. everyone on this thread has like 5-11A*'s at gcse.

Yes I'm trying to not let it hold me back, I'm not too confident about some of the more GCSE focused universities, but with universities like Warwick, there is a standard offer given to most applicants, so if I can get that offer and fulfill it, then GCSEs won't have played a big part :smile:. Obviously easier said than done, so I'm working hard.

It interesting to see that in my school, all of the people with 5 or 6A* at GCSE (thats the best in our bog standard state school) are finding that A level has hit them by surprise, and many of them got low B grades in their January exams. :u:
Original post by fGDu
Yes I'm trying to not let it hold me back, I'm not too confident about some of the more GCSE focused universities, but with universities like Warwick, there is a standard offer given to most applicants, so if I can get that offer and fulfill it, then GCSEs won't have played a big part :smile:. Obviously easier said than done, so I'm working hard.

It interesting to see that in my school, all of the people with 5 or 6A* at GCSE (thats the best in our bog standard state school) are finding that A level has hit them by surprise, and many of them got low B grades in their January exams. :u:

Me too and My school is similar, we only had about 4 people get over 4A*'s. I'm just hoping a lot of the people on this thread went to private schools as it doesn't make our gcse's look quite as bad.

I saw that you're planning on applying to oxford, depending on my final AS grades I may consider applying to Cambridge. I'll just have to find something that makes me stand out over the people with amazing GCSE's.

Also i saw that you're doing AQA physics, do you know what mark out of 50 you got for the practical. I got 43, just wandering what that is in UMS.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 254
I got 41/50 (though I have done another ISA since and it is likely to be higher), all I did was I multiplied the decimal by 60 and rounded it, that isn't an official UMS mark.
Reply 255
I have found a way to preview (and or read entirely) these popular maths books for free, it is illegal so if you want to know how to get them pm me.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I'm just hoping a lot of the people on this thread went to private schools

Sorry, I go to a state comp.
Lol state comp also. On another note my maths books arrived (Princeton companion and some more to add to my few already), I know I can get them online but Id rather have the book and I'll take it to uni with me and I love a nice book. Oh and I was looking through the editors for Princeton Companion and one of them had given me a lecture in March (course I was on) which was quite exciting because he was awesome haha
I go to a state comp too... :/
Reply 259
I go to a state comp too... :/

Why the face? What's wrong with State schools?

Latest