The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Txi
Like the guy said could is a big word.

In reality let me assure you the chances are minimal.

1st class MU ain't no big deal.

Why should they pick you over a 1.1 Saints or Bristol or St. A or B'ham ?

You are on the level below that.

Change if you really serious don't hang on to some false loyalty feeling, that will push you further into denial

I'm not at manchester yet, but I'm looking more at Durham and Notts.
Original post by Txi
Like the guy said could is a big word.

In reality let me assure you the chances are minimal.

1st class MU ain't no big deal.

Why should they pick you over a 1.1 Saints or Bristol or St. A or B'ham ?

You are on the level below that.

Change if you really serious don't hang on to some false loyalty feeling, that will push you further into denial

Is Saint Andrews good University for getting into investment banking?
Reply 122
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Is Saint Andrews good University for getting into investment banking?

See the hundreds of posts on this topic before but, in short, no, not really.
Original post by 100
See the hundreds of posts on this topic before but, in short, no, not really.

Is Notts better?
Reply 124
Is Notts better?

Definitely so. I met people from Nottingham on my BB internship and know other people who were at other top banks who go to Nottingham. Neither St. Andrews, not Nottinghan, have the 'London advantage' but you can guarantee that Nottingham will have more events etc. It's also a lot easier to get to interviews!

Also, as a side note, St. Andrews is known for being boring whilst Nottingham is known for being one of the top student cities!
Reply 125
If IB is your aim, Notts would be better. There will be more like-minded people there and they have a better banking/finance society to help you with apps etc
Another Wanna Be Investment Banker....

I'm sick of you people.
Original post by 100
Definitely so. I met people from Nottingham on my BB internship and know other people who were at other top banks who go to Nottingham. Neither St. Andrews, not Nottinghan, have the 'London advantage' but you can guarantee that Nottingham will have more events etc. It's also a lot easier to get to interviews!

Also, as a side note, St. Andrews is known for being boring whilst Nottingham is known for being one of the top student cities!

So Notts has better Career prospects. Is it harder to get in than SA?
Original post by orca92
6am till 10pm!!! Sorry, but in the IBD you can be working 140 hour weeks during busy times. Traders get the easy hours.

There are only 168 hours in a week. So that's 28 hours to sleep. 4 hours a night not including the obvious travel required. I think you're lying.
Reply 129
So Notts has better Career prospects. Is it harder to get in than SA?

As mentioned above, they have a decent finance society.

I have no idea about admissions for either. If you're currently taking AS/A levels just focus on getting AAA minimum, that'll help you a lot more than seeing how to 'sneak' into a Uni with a slightly better chance of getting into investment banking.
Reply 130
Original post by alexs2602
There are only 168 hours in a week. So that's 28 hours to sleep. 4 hours a night not including the obvious travel required. I think you're lying.

140 hours is *******s. From my experience at a BB IBD, normal hours are 9am-midnight for Monday - Thursday with at least two of those being closer to 2am. Fridays are more like 9am until as soon as you can possibly get out, maybe 9pm if you're lucky. Then 10-12 hours on a Sunday.

'Average' i.e. not average but 'quiet' weeks will be 75-80 hours. Busy weeks can get closer to 110 but that's not every week!
Original post by 100
140 hours is *******s. From my experience at a BB IBD, normal hours are 9am-midnight for Monday - Thursday with at least two of those being closer to 2am. Fridays are more like 9am until as soon as you can possibly get out, maybe 9pm if you're lucky. Then 10-12 hours on a Sunday.

'Average' i.e. not average but 'quiet' weeks will be 75-80 hours. Busy weeks can get closer to 110 but that's not every week!

You can see why I was doubting what he said then? Any semi decent mathematician can see there's an inconsistency with 140h weeks. The hours you quote must be horrendous regardless
Original post by malteser12345
Would KCL qualify as one of the 'top 6'? I'm doing maths at KCL with the hope of becoming an investment banker after graduation.

For maths? No. Top 6 for maths are Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, Bath.

Original post by therealOG
Top 6 are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial.

Not quite. Top 6 for maths are mentioned above.
why is manchester there? if they don't take people from sussex and the likes but manchester surely this table ranking is rubbish. sussex is 15th now in the guardian's 2011 table. whilst manchester is 27th i think. flawed system if you ask me.
Reply 134
You can see why I was doubting what he said then? Any semi decent mathematician can see there's an inconsistency with 140h weeks. The hours you quote must be horrendous regardless

The hours are overstated so much. Remember that you're only an Analyst for three years. When you become an Associate those numbers drop and when you become a VP the hours drop dramatically.

You're also not in the office past 10/11pm unless you're doing something which is keeping you busy. If your firm has a Pres Tech department you can often off-load a lot of PowerPoint slide making to them and get it e-mailed to you for when you get back in the morning.

You tend to try, where possible, to have Friday and Saturday evenings off (when your friends at other firms are out). The lifestyle really isn't as bad as it's made out. Free drinner, free taxis etc. save you effort / money. Making around £80,000 as a first year is surely worth it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 135
I have a choice to make guys:

Maths at UCL

OR

MORSE at Warwick.

The thing is if I go UCL I can live at home, and basically be debt free, but that's not the case with Warwick.
Reply 136
Original post by Ultimate1

Maths at UCL

OR

MORSE at Warwick.

The thing is if I go UCL I can live at home, and basically be debt free, but that's not the case with Warwick.

Don't even think about the debt - ignore it completely. Go where you'll enjoy most. If you're at UCL I'd strongly suggest living at halls rather than at home. I know people who lived at home when they were at UCL and they felt really left out. Warwick is essentially a field in the middle of nowhere but the Business School is good.

For career options, the links UCL has and its location make it the more obvious choice.
Reply 137
Original post by Ultimate1

Maths at UCL

OR

MORSE at Warwick.

I'll let the stats speak for themselves

Let's look at some SW stats (as these are the newest to come out):

University TOTAL
Oxford 60
Warwick 50
Cambridge 48
LSE 48
UCL 29
Imperial 16

More specifically

JPM IBD:

Warwick 10
Oxford 6
Cambridge 6
UCL 4
LSE 3
HEC 3
Durham 3
Imperial 2
For maths? No. Top 6 for maths are Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, Bath.

Not quite. Top 6 for maths are mentioned above.

I was talking about the top 6 target uni's for investment banks. Which is what this thread is about.
Reply 139
Original post by Focus08
I'll let the stats speak for themselves

Let's look at some SW stats (as these are the newest to come out):

University TOTAL
Oxford 60
Warwick 50
Cambridge 48
LSE 48
UCL 29
Imperial 16

More specifically

JPM IBD:

Warwick 10
Oxford 6
Cambridge 6
UCL 4
LSE 3
HEC 3
Durham 3
Imperial 2

WTFFFFFF?! How's Warwick getting in more than Cambridge, Imperial, LSE and in some cases, oxford?

Latest

Trending

Trending