The Student Room Group

Dundee or Leeds. Which city is better?

What do you think the pros and cons for each are?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by therealOG
I wouldn't want to go to either of them.

why not? Also, what is the point in posting to say just that. If you have had bad experiences with one of the cities, why not help the OP out and explain why. I don't understand why people watse their time on internet forums to make sarky comments like that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rory :)

I know nothing about Dundee but have been to Leeds a few times. It depends on what you are looking for really. Leeds has a brilliant student nightlife with nights on every day of the week and a fantastic Union. The uni is huge as well and it must be one of the biggest campuses in the UK. Also, there are lots of shops and restaurants in the city centre. Having said that though, if you don't like being in a big city and would prefer something a bit smaller then it may not be the best place for you. Only you can decide really so i would recommend visiting to fund out.

I know absolutely nothing about Dundee apart from that it is in Scotland! Someone else could give you infor on that.

Hope i have helped
Reply 3
It's called Scumdee for a reason

(actually it's called Fundee as well, but I've never heard it been called that non-sarcastically)
Reply 4
Original post by df232
I know nothing about Dundee but have been to Leeds a few times. It depends on what you are looking for really. Leeds has a brilliant student nightlife with nights on every day of the week and a fantastic Union. The uni is huge as well and it must be one of the biggest campuses in the UK. Also, there are lots of shops and restaurants in the city centre. Having said that though, if you don't like being in a big city and would prefer something a bit smaller then it may not be the best place for you. Only you can decide really so i would recommend visiting to fund out.

I know absolutely nothing about Dundee apart from that it is in Scotland! Someone else could give you infor on that.

Hope i have helped

Thanks for your input I don't mind if you only know about one i just want to way up the pros and cons.

Original post by Aeschylus
It's called Scumdee for a reason

(actually it's called Fundee as well, but I've never heard it been called that non-sarcastically)

It just seemed a bit boring when I went there.
Reply 5
Dundee as a University is incredibly good for dentistry and ok for everything else, including medicine. I live in St Andrews and visit Dundee regularly, it is not a place I would want to go to university, not just because it's 10 miles from home, but because the city is just like Glasgow, without any of it's good points. In terms of nightlife there are two good clubs, a few smallish music venues and that's about it. I can't sy I've ever been to Leeds, but if I had to choose between the two, based on what I've heard, it would be 100% Leeds.
Reply 6
Original post by James94
Dundee as a University is incredibly good for dentistry and ok for everything else, including medicine. I live in St Andrews and visit Dundee regularly, it is not a place I would want to go to university, not just because it's 10 miles from home, but because the city is just like Glasgow, without any of it's good points. In terms of nightlife there are two good clubs, a few smallish music venues and that's about it. I can't sy I've ever been to Leeds, but if I had to choose between the two, based on what I've heard, it would be 100% Leeds.

If I go Dundee i get the course I wanted wheres if I go Leeds I get something else. Is it really worth making my decision based on the towns?
Reply 7
Original post by James94

Its OK for dentistry, trust me, I'd know
Reply 8
Leeds for sure.
Reply 9
Leeds better night life, Dundee better course. I applied for both too :P
Reply 10
I am a 2009\2010 high-school graduate, and i wanted to apply for leeds, but it was too late for I went on january or february 2011. I still want to apply for 2012, but I have no idea about the requirements, nor anything else. I want dentistry. Anyone can help? :-/
Reply 11
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds!
Reply 12
leeds is ur best option..very good nightlife
Leeds!
Original post by u1love1
I am a 2009\2010 high-school graduate, and i wanted to apply for leeds, but it was too late for I went on january or february 2011. I still want to apply for 2012, but I have no idea about the requirements, nor anything else. I want dentistry. Anyone can help? :-/

Look here: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/coursefinder/17810/BChD_Dental_Surgery requirements for 2012 intake aren't up yet though.
Reply 15
Original post by UniversityLAD
Hi, how would you know exactly? I read in another thread that you've not even started yet. I've got 4 friends all doing Dentistry at Dundee and they all rate it very highly.

A load (7) of my family members did dentistry at dundee.
Reply 16
Original post by UniversityLAD
Fair enough.

The last one graduated 4 years ago so maybe it has changed. None of them say dentistry at dundee is bad they just there were some areas it could have been better in. (lecturer trying to cover too much content in a lecture comes up alot)
Reply 17
Original post by Rory :)

Leeeeds FOR SURE.Amazing city,great night life actually alot of things to do.I would say northen party meka,but Dundee is boring as hell:biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth

Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Look here: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/coursefinder/17810/BChD_Dental_Surgery requirements for 2012 intake aren't up yet though.

Thank you. I was wondering about the environment/atmosphere there. Are there racist or unfriendly people ( prof., students, etc.)?
I am an international student actually, do you know the requirements for international students?:colondollar:
Original post by u1love1
Thank you. I was wondering about the environment/atmosphere there. Are there racist or unfriendly people ( prof., students, etc.)?
I am an international student actually, do you know the requirements for international students?:colondollar:

Leeds is pretty multi-cultural, I'm sure there will be plenty of people from all sorts of backgrounds. It is a large city and has a high student population so I wouldn't worry about finding like-minded people :smile: however, it is impossible to say that no-one will be unfriendly or racist as unfortunately this is something you can come across anywhere. Everyone I've every spoke to said they love Leeds as a city and find it very friendly, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I couldn't tell you what the requirements will be I'm afraid, especially since they haven't put the details for 2012 up yet. However, as the requirement for A level students is AAA (which I think is 360 UCAS tariff points), I would recommend looking at how many UCAS Tariff points you need for your qualifications to meet the same points? You can see if your qualifications are listed here:

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

Just check to see what 360 points would be as hopefully that would be the sort of offer they would make. However, if you're unsure or want to make certain, I'd say it would be a good idea to contact Leeds themselves and ask them. You can contact them at [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest