The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking of applying for New College, anyone else? :smile:
Reply 321
I amm thinking of applying, however I am worried that my application would just get dismissed straight away yet I would have lost one of my five choices :s I got 5 A*s, 3As and four D*s from a btec in year 11, and although this isn't gobsmacking I was student of the year with the highest average point score in my year. This year I am taking biology, maths, chemistry and English literature, and I am hoping for 4 As (although whether I get that or not is another story) and I am thinking my likely university course of choice will be biological sciences. In my January exams I got 3As, however none particularly high As or above 90%. Will Oxford be a worthy gamble as a choice????
Original post by EdmundB
Er...what do you mean? There are some Americans at Magdalen; many of them are postgraduates but there are definitely some undergraduates. But what do you mean by 'is it a good place for an American'? :confused:

Haha. Just if there were any americans. Sorry to confuse. I was seriously multitasking/ writing a essay when I last posted. Dont mind me.
Thanks for all your help.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 323
decided im going to apply for materials science! any one else looking to do this?
Original post by CeeTay
I amm thinking of applying, however I am worried that my application would just get dismissed straight away yet I would have lost one of my five choices :s I got 5 A*s, 3As and four D*s from a btec in year 11, and although this isn't gobsmacking I was student of the year with the highest average point score in my year. This year I am taking biology, maths, chemistry and English literature, and I am hoping for 4 As (although whether I get that or not is another story) and I am thinking my likely university course of choice will be biological sciences. In my January exams I got 3As, however none particularly high As or above 90%. Will Oxford be a worthy gamble as a choice????

These are fine! If I'm right (correct me if I'm wrong), Oxford look at your GCSEs in comparison to your school, so if you were the best achieving student in your year there's nothing to worry about. Also Oxford can't see your UMS scores when you apply, they only see your grades. Therefore it doesn't matter if they're not above 90%. Mine weren't. :biggrin:
Reply 326
Original post by brendan.
These are fine! If I'm right (correct me if I'm wrong), Oxford look at your GCSEs in comparison to your school, so if you were the best achieving student in your year there's nothing to worry about. Also Oxford can't see your UMS scores when you apply, they only see your grades. Therefore it doesn't matter if they're not above 90%. Mine weren't. :biggrin:

aw thankyou :biggrin: do you study there now? if so, if you don't mind me asking.. what do you do, and what did you get in your a levels?? :smile:
Original post by CeeTay
aw thankyou :biggrin: do you study there now? if so, if you don't mind me asking.. what do you do, and what did you get in your a levels?? :smile:

No problem! At least I think that's what I was told when I applied, and when I emailed them about it in from a random email address. :biggrin:
No I don't, not yet anyway! I have an offer to study Biochemistry starting this October, so all I need now is the grades! I don't have my final results in A2 yet, but for AS I had AAAB when I applied.
Reply 328
oooh - i'm thinking about doing biological sciences/biochemistry...
what subjects are those grades in ?? :biggrin:
Original post by CeeTay

Ah, cool! :biggrin:
I got As in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. And a B in French (but an A now after resitting). :smile:
Reply 330
Ah, cool! :biggrin:
I got As in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. And a B in French (but an A now after resitting). :smile:

ah well done :biggrin: you didn't happen to do m1 did you.. ? doing it currently and SERIOUSLY struggling :L
Original post by CeeTay
ah well done :biggrin: you didn't happen to do m1 did you.. ? doing it currently and SERIOUSLY struggling :L

Thanks! I did M1 in January. I didn't think it was that bad really, but I had a teacher that literally walked us through the theory. I think when I first learnt it I struggled, but the concepts aren't that bad after some practice. YOU'LL GET THERE! :grin:
Original post by timkench
decided im going to apply for materials science! any one else looking to do this?

If you apply for physics they ask you if want to be considered for materials science.

Just thought I'd let you know just in case you were considering applying for physics :smile:

Though I'm not 100% if they'll do it again this year.
Reply 333
Original post by soutioirsim
If you apply for physics they ask you if want to be considered for materials science.

Just thought I'd let you know just in case you were considering applying for physics :smile:

Though I'm not 100% if they'll do it again this year.

yeah i've seen that, they let a certain amount of physics students in if theres space i think, not really sure how it works
Reply 334
Original post by CeeTay

Unless you really want to do biochemistry for personal/potential job related reasons, bear in mind that Biological sciences is rather a lot less work. Biochemistry 1st year is really, really nasty. It's a lot more sedate in the 2nd year though, and still doesn't seem as bad as chemistry.
Just sending off my open day form for July. :grin::grin::grin: So excited! We're getting close to being real applicants, it's less than six months til the UCAS forms have to be in. :colondollar:

So say even if your school was a private school but the average GCSE grades were say on par or just better than a good state school (quite a few getting 3-5 A*'s) but not as good as a good private school where students get 8+ A*'s would this still apply?

It's just I went to a private school (but in Saudi Arabia) and although international schools are good, they aren't as good as private schools in the Uk. I got decent grades but I'm just curious to know if they'd be put in the same boat as good private schools because they aren't state schools?

It's okay if you don't know the answer, just wondering :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by laughylolly
So say even if your school was a private school but the average GCSE grades were say on par or just better than a good state school (quite a few getting 3-5 A*'s) but not as good as a good private school where students get 8+ A*'s would this still apply?

It's just I went to a private school (but in Saudi Arabia) and although international schools are good, they aren't as good as private schools in the Uk. I got decent grades but I'm just curious to know if they'd be put in the same boat as good private schools because they aren't state schools?

It's okay if you don't know the answer, just wondering :smile:

I'm not too sure how it would work in this case, but I'm pretty sure it would work on the same basis. It's like for instance if you came from a state schools where A*s are unheard of, or pupils take a little number of subjects, they won't penalise you because technically it isn't your fault. And if you done substantially better than everybody else in your school, then clearly you have good academic potential. If you want any more information, you could always email admissions, both for the university in general and the department you would like to apply to. These are the best places for you to receive the most accurate information. This is what I done. If you're paranoid that they'll recognise your email address when you apply through UCAS, you could always make a new email account, or use a different one (such as an old one?).
Sorry I can't help that much, but as I said the best information will come from university admissions themselves. :biggrin:
Can universities see whether you have retaken some AS modules and would Oxford penalise you for it, if they saw that you got a B but then that you got an A.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by stars and dots
Can universities see whether you have retaken some AS modules and would Oxford penalise you for it, if they saw that you got a B but then that you got an A.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Not unless you declare them. It's called cashing in. I think some schools do it whilst others don't. If not they will only give your A2 overall predictions. So it depends really. UNLESS...

You apply to Cambridge which has a separate questionnaire and you have to state every exam (GCSE aswell) plus the UMS marks. atm i think they're the only one that requires this but other unis might start doing this/have this already.

Latest

Trending

Trending