The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

But how exactly do you go about applying for these jobs if you don't have an NVQ in healthcare or something or a year's experience in healthcare..?
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
But how exactly do you go about applying for these jobs if you don't have an NVQ in healthcare or something or a year's experience in healthcare..?

Look for the ones that offer on the job training
Reply 1162
Found out yesterday imma have to take a gap year. muuurhhhh cant think of anything worse than having to take the UKCAT again. Time to start hunting down admissions for some feedback I guess!
Original post by Lost2301
Found out yesterday imma have to take a gap year. muuurhhhh cant think of anything worse than having to take the UKCAT again. Time to start hunting down admissions for some feedback I guess!

That's unlucky but you should try and focus on what you can do for next year and give it all you've got. The thing that keeps me going is seeing and unconditional offer after all the hard work :wink:
Reply 1164
I just got feedback from one of my uni's and they said "For guidance, there is room for improvement on your personal statement, particularly on evidencing the skills required to study medicine and one section of the UKCAT scored less well than others." does the first bit mean i need to do more work experience or just write my ps better this time? i'm a bit gutted cos my teacher checked my ps said it was really good and she's got countless people into med school. :frown: i dnt really know how to improve it.
Original post by ASB31
I just got feedback from one of my uni's and they said "For guidance, there is room for improvement on your personal statement, particularly on evidencing the skills required to study medicine and one section of the UKCAT scored less well than others." does the first bit mean i need to do more work experience or just write my ps better this time? i'm a bit gutted cos my teacher checked my ps said it was really good and she's got countless people into med school. :frown: i dnt really know how to improve it.

My personal statement also let me down. I got some doctors to read it, as well as the my head of year who's highly experienced for med applications. The bottom line is that this year was the worst year to apply. Whether it'll get worse we don't know, with the fees going up. Obviously, I haven't seen your personal statement, but I would say work experience. It can be the most articulately written ps, but at the end of the day they want concrete evidence that you're serious about med. Hope this helps :smile:
My personal statement also let me down. I got some doctors to read it, as well as the my head of year who's highly experienced for med applications. The bottom line is that this year was the worst year to apply. Whether it'll get worse we don't know, with the fees going up. Obviously, I haven't seen your personal statement, but I would say work experience. It can be the most articulately written ps, but at the end of the day they want concrete evidence that you're serious about med. Hope this helps :smile:

True. I would say that most of the re-applicants from the previous year took the majority of places.

This year was just too much competition, because of the tuition fees rise in 2012.
Reply 1167

Hmmm ye i did work experience at a gps (with both dr's and nurses) at a hospital (with dr's , nurses and physiotherapists) and i work in a pharmacy. i dnt know what else i could do for work experience :s-smilie: i'm hoping it was just the competition and im not applying to this uni next year anyway. i may get a dr to read it though thats a really good idea.
Original post by firestar101
True. I would say that most of the re-applicants from the previous year took the majority of places.

This year was just too much competition, because of the tuition fees rise in 2012.

I really hope 2012 won't be as competitive though :s-smilie:. Some say it will be because so many people got rejected this year. Some say it won't be because of the tuition fee increase. Alot of people in my sixth form (lower and upper) feel so disheartened that they've given up on med, and i seem to be the only one looking onwards..
When it was announced at school that cambridge are asking for 3A*s and £9000 per year, half of the lower sixth med soc were practically in tears
(edited 13 years ago)
I really hope 2012 won't be as competitive though :s-smilie:. Some say it will be because so many people got rejected this year. Some say it won't be because of the tuition fee increase. Alot of people in my sixth form (lower and upper) feel so disheartened that they've given up on med, and i seem to be the only one looking onwards..
When it was announced at school that cambridge are asking for 3A*s and £9000 per year, half of the lower sixth med soc were practically in tears

I think that there will probably be more competition this year. I know a lot of people that have been rejected and are going to re-apply. And some people that been rejected twice are going to re-apply.

I don't know what effect the tuition fee rise will have on medicine. I think that it will personally have no effect because everyone knows that medicine is a stable career and there is practically 100 percent employment. Even with the fee rise, most people will still apply as they know that they can certainly pay it back, as they will walk into a guaranteed career.
I think that there will probably be more competition this year. I know a lot of people that have been rejected and are going to re-apply. And some people that been rejected twice are going to re-apply.

I don't know what effect the tuition fee rise will have on medicine. I think that it will personally have no effect because everyone knows that medicine is a stable career and there is practically 100 percent employment. Even with the fee rise, most people will still apply as they know that they can certainly pay it back, as they will walk into a guaranteed career.

Well.. that's reassuring.. lol
But i agree, i just was hoping that my sixth form would be a microcosm of the country but that would be an ideal world :smile:
Reply 1171
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I wasn't and won't be a second time re-applicant but I'd say that if you can put up with another year at home then by all means re-apply again! :yep:

It worked out ok for tikkitak and haleem :h:

And anyway imo your parents can shove it.. they might be trying to protect you or something but it's your life so do what you want in my opinion :penguinhug:

Anyway don't know why I'm posting but rebel and do what feels right :colone:

Haha thanks for the response :penguinhug:

I know they are... it's just im getting on a bit now, if I get in next year i'll be 21, the same age as graduates minus a degree. Seems I'm putting my life hold for something that is exactly 'forthcoming' if you get what I mean.

Don't worry, I will do... once I know what feels right :rolleyes:
Reply 1172

The guaranteed career bit works for some people and I know what you're saying but there are so many doctors looking for jobs now too. Training jobs are so competitive people are trying to convince me to switch to dentistry
Original post by Olives
The guaranteed career bit works for some people and I know what you're saying but there are so many doctors looking for jobs now too. Training jobs are so competitive people are trying to convince me to switch to dentistry

A lot of people say that dentistry is just as hard as medicine to get into, as there are less dental schools than medical schools. There is probably some truth in that.

Also, with medicine, if I was to get in and at the end of it, I could not find a training job as a doctor, then I would move to places like america, new Zealand, Australia, etc.

I have heard of stories of doctors being unemployed in the uk, and that does seem a bit worrying to me.
Reply 1174
A lot of people say that dentistry is just as hard as medicine to get into, as there are less dental schools than medical schools. There is probably some truth in that.

Also, with medicine, if I was to get in and at the end of it, I could not find a training job as a doctor, then I would move to places like america, new Zealand, Australia, etc.

I have heard of stories of doctors being unemployed in the uk, and that does seem a bit worrying to me.

after paying some service to the nhs i don't really wanna work in UK. America or new Zealand :smile:
Reply 1175
Original post by pan_93
I'm all out now so I'll be reapplying next year:frown::frown::frown: I feel like such a failure

I felt pretty bad when i got my last rejection too. But i'm starting to come around now. I'll be better prepared next time, and hopefully it won't be quite as competitive.

Original post by twelve

No but seriously, don't feel like you're a failure. This thread is the perfect example of loads of REALLY good applicants who didn't get in this year. The competition is really high.

Take it as a learning experience. This is the first thing I've ever REALLY failed at. I've done badly, but I've been able to take it back and improve it. But not this. This year I'm not going to university, and I can't change that. But its given me all these chances I would never have had otherwise. And its also shown me how much I really do want medicine. I've never wanted something so much, and it took me NOT GETTING IT to realise that.

^^ This. Getting rejected has made me more sure than ever that i want to do medicine. My form teacher gave me some info about UCAS extra & most other medicine applicants without offers are going for biomed/chemistry but i'm not even vaguely interested TBH

Original post by The_Tarin
First of all, I would say, smash the A-levels, work really hard and get the three A'S, or even, 3 A*s. Then, imagine... you take on the UKCAT again, with better experience, and hopefully improve. Then, re-apply in September, with a MUCH better application form, and awesome A-levels already at hand. Imagine, getting an unconditional offer in like December, then having from January to September/October to do JACK all :biggrin:
Think positive people!

You've made my day :adore:
Original post by dmz
after paying some service to the nhs i don't really wanna work in UK. America or new Zealand :smile:

That is why you is the man, dmz. :colondollar:
Yaaaaay started my new Job As a pharmacy dispenser/ assistant and I love it :biggrin:

Just sucks that I have to revise when I'm not working despite it being gloriously sunny outside :unimpressed:

I rang St Andrews up and they said they have a huge pile of feedback letters to get through that theyll only just be starting on this week cus someone had been off ill!
Original post by laurenl93
Yaaaaay started my new Job As a pharmacy dispenser/ assistant and I love it :biggrin:

Just sucks that I have to revise when I'm not working despite it being gloriously sunny outside :unimpressed:

I rang St Andrews up and they said they have a huge pile of feedback letters to get through that theyll only just be starting on this week cus someone had been off ill!

How did you get a job as a pharmacy assistant?
Reply 1179
Original post by ASB31

'skills for medicine' I think means proving you have communication skills, motivation, you're caring etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending