The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Florence Boot Hall Freshers :)

Scroll to see replies

That's alright :smile:

Ahah, ermmm... now that's a good question. I'm actually en-suite, so that's actually something I;m not entirely sure of from personal experience. I'm going to hazard a guess at about 10-12, but I'll find out and get you a more definite answer on that! Sorry :P

Edit: Ok, a friend of mine has said that there's about a corridor's worth of people per bathroom, so about 15 people share 3 toilets and 4 showers. She also said 'it's not really an issue, it's veeeery rare to find a queue or anything, haha :smile:' - soyeah, it all works out pretty well.

The food.... is not terrible, but it's hardly gourmet quality either. I think it partly depends how fussy an eater you are.
Personally, I don't it too bad on the whole, but I know some people who really dislike it. I mean, some meals are better than others - there are some that aren't so great, and some that you really, really enjoy. On the whole it's fairly average though, nothing amazing, but definitely not inedible either. You're not going to starve :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by TheOriginalTinyT
That's alright :smile:

Ahah, ermmm... now that's a good question. I'm actually en-suite, so that's actually something I;m not entirely sure of from personal experience. I'm going to hazard a guess at about 10-12, but I'll find out and get you a more definite answer on that! Sorry :P

Edit: Ok, a friend of mine has said that there's about a corridor's worth of people per bathroom, so about 15 people share 3 toilets and 4 showers. She also said 'it's not really an issue, it's veeeery rare to find a queue or anything, haha :smile:' - soyeah, it all works out pretty well.

The food.... is not terrible, but it's hardly gourmet quality either. I think it partly depends how fussy an eater you are.
Personally, I don't it too bad on the whole, but I know some people who really dislike it. I mean, some meals are better than others - there are some that aren't so great, and some that you really, really enjoy. On the whole it's fairly average though, nothing amazing, but definitely not inedible either. You're not going to starve :smile:

Do you have any photos of fb? Particularly the inside...
Reply 22
Literally went for a sneaky look around the hall today ahead of starting there in September.

It was amazing.
Original post by Rachel08

Woops, sorry I took a while to reply.
Ooo, I'll have a rummage around and see what I can find :smile:

Original post by Edwardd
Literally went for a sneaky look around the hall today ahead of starting there in September.

It was amazing.

It really is a lovely hall, I love the atmosphere of the place so much! It's one of the older halls, so all of the old furniture and things really make the place feel pretty special.
It's also just one big connected building, whereas most of the other are divided up into blocks. I think it gives the place a greater sense of community, which some of the others perhaps lack a bit.

I'm another current inhabitant of Florence boot, normal study room for me but I'm moving out this year! So I'll pick up from Tom on the bathroom bit if I may :biggrin:

There's approximately 4-5 people to a toilet/shower for a normal room...
Though it does vary slightly...

If your in the newer part of the hall (which still looks pretty old) you get your floor of the wing, which shares one communal bathroom. Guys and girls share it.

That makes for about 12-14 rooms (ish) to 3 toilet cubicles, 2 shower cubicles, and 2 bath over showers. The toilet and shower cubicles are like what you'd find in a public bathroom. the shower over bath are in proper enclosed rooms.

The older part of the hall, which is the front and first half of the wings is, approximately the same, but each shower, bath, or toilet is in it's own fully enclosed room... Bit nicer for the shyer among you.
Original post by The Bagel Guy
I'm another current inhabitant of Florence boot

Haha, cheers Chris!
Weird that this time last year we were just meeting on here :s-smilie:

Sorry Rachel, I forgot that I was trying to find you some photos. Will see what I can do :smile:
Original post by TheOriginalTinyT
Haha, cheers Chris!
Weird that this time last year we were just meeting on here :s-smilie:

Sorry Rachel, I forgot that I was trying to find you some photos. Will see what I can do :smile:

No worries! Indeed it is rather strange! :eek:
Reply 27
I just got my acceptance letter from Florence Boot. So pleased!! I hear it's one of the best and you guys certainly seem to think so:smile:
I'm going to do Physics (4 year) and I'm in a single study room.

What sort of social events to FB have? Also I've heard the rooms are bigger than most of the other halls is that true??
Original post by Cait..
I just got my acceptance letter from Florence Boot. So pleased!! I hear it's one of the best and you guys certainly seem to think so:smile:
I'm going to do Physics (4 year) and I'm in a single study room.

What sort of social events to FB have? Also I've heard the rooms are bigger than most of the other halls is that true??

Rooms are much bigger than other halls, beaten only by Nightingale, but you pay for that... Although, If your unlucky enough to get the room my girlfriends currently in, you'll find it somewhat like a cupboard compared to other peoples rooms!

There's quite a few socials, you can buy tickets from the club reps for the big nightclubs, so if your big on drinkign your options are nearly limitless!

Unfortunately, for those that aren't big on drinking (like myself) the options are fairly limited, or I seem to find so anyway. This is talkign purely as a hall, there are hundreds of societies to get involved in which all do social events of there own!

I'd advise checking out the SU website for nottingham and browsing the societies, because freshers fair will be PACKED, so it's doubtfull you'll see all of the societies no matter how determined you are.
Reply 29
just got florence boot....and after reading this thread dead excited!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
single study...studying medicine...: look forward to meeting you all...good luck with exams :biggrin:
I'm so happy that I got Florence Boot! It was my joint favourite with Nightingale, I love the communal-grassy-area bit. (: I'm Single Study, hopefully studying Law (: Now it's just a matter of scraping three As... :/
Reply 31
Hey- Florence Boot as well! Hopefully going to take Law, if I can get my two A's (Already got an A in English Lang cause of coursework and january exam). Looking forward to the beer garden already!
Large single study for me.
hey :biggrin:
I got my acceptance thing for florence boot! i saw it on the open day and it looks so lovely! :smile: :smile: just a matter of getting in now
I managed to weasel my way into Florence Boot after being put into Cavendish. I'm so ****ing glad it worked!
Reply 34
Original post by Net Casualty
I managed to weasel my way into Florence Boot after being put into Cavendish. I'm so ****ing glad it worked!

How the hell did you do that?! :P
Original post by Aaron1322

Original post by Aaron1322
How the hell did you do that?! :P

I lied and I begged and I lied and I pleaded and I lied.
Reply 36
whats rong wiv cavendish halls??? thats where ive been offered my accomodation!!!!

Wooooops, I'm so sorry, I completely forgot about this what with exams and everything.

This link has quite a few pictures of the Hall, and information about it generally :smile:
There are some shots of the interior specifically under Your Hall > Facilities

http://www.wix.com/gilonne/florence-boot-hall#!your-hall-/vstc2=facilities
Is anyone in Florence boot here studying Geography? :smile:
Reply 39
I am in a Large Single Study......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending