The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SillyString
Yeah. At this stage, I'm completely put off SOAS and city, we had representatives in our college.. and I don't really want to go to a Uni like that.
I've been talking with my parents, they said it would be fine for me to apply out of London because they didn't like SOAS either. :smile:

So I'm left with three,
LSE, UCL and QM as an insurance, and probably Bath I think. I'm not sure. it's research time once my exams are done. Figure if I have to pay £9000 anyway, I might as well aim high. :rolleyes:

Warwick? Bristol?

Warwick is probably best, since your GCSE's are brilliant.
Anyone with any questions about Bath economics, feel free to quote/PM me.
Original post by gradjobplease
Anyone with any questions about Bath economics, feel free to quote/PM me.

:hi:

I'm thinking of applying to Bath :smile: How quantitative would you say their course is?
Also, did you take further maths, and what sort of offer did you get?

Sorry for bombarding you with these questions :colondollar:

Also, well done on getting in!! :biggrin:
Hi Jamie,

No problem happy to help, I'll answer them in turn.

1. Very quantitative, I don't how quantitative in comparison to other courses out there but at a rough figure I'd say about 30% of my first year were unabashed maths units.

2. I didn't take further maths, but I wish I had done at least AS further maths, it would have definitely made 1st year life easier. Core/Stats units tend to be the most useful for economics/econometrics.

3. Back in '06 I got in with 3 A's (A*A*A equivalent now). My GCSE's were 5 A*s, 4A's and 2B's with Maths at A*.

Original post by jamiepango
:hi:

I'm thinking of applying to Bath :smile: How quantitative would you say their course is?
Also, did you take further maths, and what sort of offer did you get?

Sorry for bombarding you with these questions :colondollar:

Also, well done on getting in!! :biggrin:
Reply 384
Original post by Groat
Actually the points system has no cap. It's just the adjustment for how well other students at your school did that has the cap of 8 best applicants.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm sure we'll both be fine. :smile:

To be automatically pooled this year, you needed 7+ A* and 92%+ in each of the three relevant AS-Levels. That's some motivation for you!

Well that's me gone from GCSEs already :P
Reply 385
Original post by wilson-nunn

P.S. What are people's opinions on getting work experience in a bank or on a trading floor to enhance applications to university for Economics?

I hear most universities aren't the slightest bit interested in work experience for an economics degree. Especially at a bank or trading floor as that's not entirley related to economics. However I would still go for work experience (I personally still am), if not for your university application then it should just be for jobs in general

3. Back in '06 I got in with 3 A's (A*A*A equivalent now). My GCSE's were 5 A*s, 4A's and 2B's with Maths at A*.

That's exactly my GCSEs :biggrin: Very reassuring...

Would you recommend the course? What is the university like in general? Do you feel like you have good prospects? :colondollar: Sorry for all the questions, I really like the look of Bath!
Reply 386
Original post by tateco
Well that's me gone from GCSEs already :P

I can't confirm, but I believe this means 7A* once adjusted for the strength of your school.

(Thus the GCSE performance of someone in one of the very poorest schools who achieved 7A would be considered as roughly equivalent to that of someone achieving 8A* at a highly selective school.)

That's what the handbook refers to when talking about GCSE points, however there is no reference to this in the pooling decisions.

I wouldn't worry too much - they are not requirements for getting an interview, and as many people have said before, the weighting on GCSEs isn't that high. Being automatically pooled shouldn't be your aim anyway, it should be to impress them so much you get a place with no hesitation!
Hi Jamie,

No problem happy to help, I'll answer them in turn.

1. Very quantitative, I don't how quantitative in comparison to other courses out there but at a rough figure I'd say about 30% of my first year were unabashed maths units.

2. I didn't take further maths, but I wish I had done at least AS further maths, it would have definitely made 1st year life easier. Core/Stats units tend to be the most useful for economics/econometrics.

Ah right, sounds good to me. The more quantitative the better. Also reassuring to see someone without further maths, as it's becoming more and more of a requirement these days.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 388
Original post by Groat
I can't confirm, but I believe this means 7A* once adjusted for the strength of your school.

That's what the handbook refers to when talking about GCSE points, however there is no reference to this in the pooling decisions.

I wouldn't worry too much - they are not requirements for getting an interview, and as many people have said before, the weighting on GCSEs isn't that high. Being automatically pooled shouldn't be your aim anyway, it should be to impress them so much you get a place with no hesitation!

Yeah, I'm obviously not aiming to be pooled but it's better than a straight rejection :P All the economics courses are so competitive now it seems really unfair that brilliant applicants are still getting rejected
Reply 389
Original post by tateco
Yeah, I'm obviously not aiming to be pooled but it's better than a straight rejection :P All the economics courses are so competitive now it seems really unfair that brilliant applicants are still getting rejected

Isn't it ironic how Economics is mainly the study of scarcity. :colone:
Reply 390
Original post by Groat
Isn't it ironic how Economics is mainly the study of scarcity. :colone:

Aha, very true!
Original post by tateco
I hear most universities aren't the slightest bit interested in work experience for an economics degree. Especially at a bank or trading floor as that's not entirley related to economics. However I would still go for work experience (I personally still am), if not for your university application then it should just be for jobs in general

That's exactly my GCSEs :biggrin: Very reassuring...

Would you recommend the course? What is the university like in general? Do you feel like you have good prospects? :colondollar: Sorry for all the questions, I really like the look of Bath!

Hi tateco,

Again answered in turn.

1. I'd recommend the course, but then I would as I did well!

I found a good majority of the lecturers were very motivated towards their teaching and the lectures were well structured and easy to follow. There were a couple of bad ones, but these tended to be the exception. The tutors were also highly motivated and put a lot of effort into preperation before the tutorials.

I think one of the more unique things about the Bath course is the number of units you do a year (9/10) compared to many other unis which tend to be around the 6 number? I guess if you like a wider variety of things to study that might be something to consider.

2. The University grounds are great, a lot of the buildings suffer from being built in the '60s, but there is a lot of development happening at the moment so hopefully they will be improved soon. In terms of the people, it's a bit of a mix between smart and sporty types. There's also a lot of international students and quite a few rah's (if you don't know what that is, you soon will when you get to uni). For the most part I find people at Bath to be easy going and definitely a better mix than the people at my school (Northern comp).

3. I don't feel going to Bath has held me back in any way. I got an interview with McKinsey (#1 management consulting firm) and have had no trouble getting interviews with any of the Big4 professional services firms. I put me not having a job down to learning how to interview rather than anything else.

It also depends what career you want to get into, it may put you at a slight disadvantage with regards to front office IB. I say this because most of the placement years in IB's tend to be back/middle office, although once you get that placement and you don't screw up, you're basically guaranteed a job from it.

4. Other bonuses for Bath is it really is a beautiful city and the crime rate is almost zero. The locals also tend to be very friendly too and you get free swimming at the campus swimming pool :smile:

Essay over!
Reply 392
Hi tateco,

Again answered in turn.

1. I'd recommend the course, but then I would as I did well!

I found a good majority of the lecturers were very motivated towards their teaching and the lectures were well structured and easy to follow. There were a couple of bad ones, but these tended to be the exception. The tutors were also highly motivated and put a lot of effort into preperation before the tutorials.

I think one of the more unique things about the Bath course is the number of units you do a year (9/10) compared to many other unis which tend to be around the 6 number? I guess if you like a wider variety of things to study that might be something to consider.

2. The University grounds are great, a lot of the buildings suffer from being built in the '60s, but there is a lot of development happening at the moment so hopefully they will be improved soon. In terms of the people, it's a bit of a mix between smart and sporty types. There's also a lot of international students and quite a few rah's (if you don't know what that is, you soon will when you get to uni). For the most part I find people at Bath to be easy going and definitely a better mix than the people at my school (Northern comp).

3. I don't feel going to Bath has held me back in any way. I got an interview with McKinsey (#1 management consulting firm) and have had no trouble getting interviews with any of the Big4 professional services firms. I put me not having a job down to learning how to interview rather than anything else.

It also depends what career you want to get into, it may put you at a slight disadvantage with regards to front office IB. I say this because most of the placement years in IB's tend to be back/middle office, although once you get that placement and you don't screw up, you're basically guaranteed a job from it.

4. Other bonuses for Bath is it really is a beautiful city and the crime rate is almost zero. The locals also tend to be very friendly too and you get free swimming at the campus swimming pool :smile:

Essay over!

Thanks very much that's really helpful! :smile:
Reply 393
I've heard the campus rooms are pretty spacious in Bath and in the prospectuses they look pretty nice! Is that part true?
I stayed in the cheap and cheerful accomodation at Brendon Court, but from what I hear Marlborough/Solsbury is very nice. Just looking at the prices on the brochure now, they've gone up a fair bit since I stayed, my accomodation was only £65/week!
Reply 395
Just booked a place on Cambridge's open day. Are any of you also limited to how many days off school you're allowed to see universities? I'm allowed three days, and I've already used one of them! It's ridiculous, considering most open days are on weekdays.
Original post by Groat
Just booked a place on Cambridge's open day. Are any of you also limited to how many days off school you're allowed to see universities? I'm allowed three days, and I've already used one of them! It's ridiculous, considering most open days are on weekdays.

It's not really ridiculous.... you don't need to go to every open day of the Universities you're considering: most information is online or you can just email them. Better to stay at school in my opinion.

I'm personally not planning on going to any open days this summer as all I need to know about the Universities I have found online. I'll probably only go to open days if I get offers to help me decide between them.
Reply 397
Our school are giving us a week off after exams, so sometime in june to go to open days. Most people from my school are going oxford/cambridge but I don't see the point in me going.
Reply 398
Original post by Groat

That is stupid, our school hasn't said anything but when we go back it is after exams so I don't see what the big deal is. If my school does do something like that it will be really annoying, especially as some of the insight days for gap year schemes I'm considering are on weekdays to, and it's really important I go to them because there isn't much information online.
Reply 399
Original post by thegenius31416
It's not really ridiculous.... you don't need to go to every open day of the Universities you're considering: most information is online or you can just email them. Better to stay at school in my opinion.

I'm personally not planning on going to any open days this summer as all I need to know about the Universities I have found online. I'll probably only go to open days if I get offers to help me decide between them.

That's a bold choice - I'd rather not waste one of my choices on a university I might not like the feel of. I don't think you can get an overall feel of what it's like to spend three years there simply from information online!

Latest

Trending

Trending