The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by twelve
'skills for medicine' I think means proving you have communication skills, motivation, you're caring etc.

what are your actual plans to improve your app?
Reply 1181
Original post by dmz
what are your actual plans to improve your app?

I have no idea to be honest.

All the feedback so far has said that everything is good - but just not quite good enough :/ I am doing some more volunteering in the summer, and I've got all my work experience under my belt, so I'm unsure about whether to do any more - and when I'd do it if I did do some more.

Improve UKCAT, write personal statement better. Thats all I've got so far. Any suggestions?

Byt the time I apply, I'll have done one week hospital work experience, a few days shadowing a geriatric consultant, a years volunteering in the hospital, nearly a year as a volunteer 'befriender' for an elderly lady, a week volunteering as a carer for deafblind children. Hoping to get a job as a HCA, but I think thats unlikely. Do you think maybe GP work experience?
Reply 1182
Original post by twelve
'skills for medicine' I think means proving you have communication skills, motivation, you're caring etc.

To be honest that would be easier to improve on cos i know i need to do more voluntary work which is caring aswell as communication.
Reply 1183
Original post by laurenl93
Yaaaaay started my new Job As a pharmacy dispenser/ assistant and I love it :biggrin:

Just sucks that I have to revise when I'm not working despite it being gloriously sunny outside :unimpressed:

I rang St Andrews up and they said they have a huge pile of feedback letters to get through that theyll only just be starting on this week cus someone had been off ill!

wow well done. How, cause I rang my local pharmacy and they said they couldnt offer me a job but they could offer me some work experience. Dunno if thats just the pharmacy's policy.
Original post by firestar101
How did you get a job as a pharmacy assistant?

Original post by fruitfan
wow well done. How, cause I rang my local pharmacy and they said they couldnt offer me a job but they could offer me some work experience. Dunno if thats just the pharmacy's policy.

I just went to the pharmacy and went like this to the pharmacist

:sexface:
& he was like, you hired gurl!

When in reality I just saw there was a vacancy, applied and in my application wrote loads of stuff about my previous work experiences in pharmacy and being eager and stuff, went to two interviews andgot the job and now I'm training for all these pharmacy qualifications. It's really good I work with a med student so I would definitely reccomend you apply to pharmacy jobs :h:
Reply 1185
Haha thanks.
Yaaaaay started my new Job As a pharmacy dispenser/ assistant and I love it :biggrin:

Just sucks that I have to revise when I'm not working despite it being gloriously sunny outside :unimpressed:

I rang St Andrews up and they said they have a huge pile of feedback letters to get through that theyll only just be starting on this week cus someone had been off ill!

Thanks this is heplful I was going to e-mail them today but Ill just wait a couple of weeks and see if they get back to me:tongue:
X

how do you apply for pharmacy jobs? are they on the nhs website at all?
Original post by atomos
how do you apply for pharmacy jobs? are they on the nhs website at all?

Yeah some might be I think you just have to look online at lloyds pharmacy and other places like that, but you'd need work experience because the pharmacist told me hundreds of people applied for my job do really I was dead lucky to get it. But bear in mind a lot of pharmacies want you to work long hours atleast to star off with because there is soooo much to learn, I've had a 28 hour week so far at work!
:redface:
Gutted

Btw sorry for Misspelt words- my iPhone keeps autochanging everything I type! :unimpressed:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1189
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
I really hope 2012 won't be as competitive though :s-smilie:. Some say it will be because so many people got rejected this year. Some say it won't be because of the tuition fee increase. Alot of people in my sixth form (lower and upper) feel so disheartened that they've given up on med, and i seem to be the only one looking onwards..
When it was announced at school that cambridge are asking for 3A*s and £9000 per year, half of the lower sixth med soc were practically in tears

cambridge are asking for 3A*'s now. I thought it is still A*AA? How you know this?
Original post by pan_93
cambridge are asking for 3A*'s now. I thought it is still A*AA? How you know this?

My referee whose in charge of all of the med applications in our school got an email. He always gets these little facts from universities before they're published and announces them at sixth form assemblies - which are always very depressing..
Original post by pan_93

Wait, i tell a lie. It was said to that they probably won't look at anyone who is not predicted/acheived 3A*s as statistics show this and that he wouldn't be surprised if this is the standard entry requirement for those who want to defer - therefore entering in 2013.
Sorry if i caused any alarm, wasn't present in this assembly so i heard it through the grapevine :colondollar:
Reply 1192
Wait, i tell a lie. It was said to that they probably won't look at anyone who is not predicted/acheived 3A*s as statistics show this and that he wouldn't be surprised if this is the standard entry requirement for those who want to defer - therefore entering in 2013.
Sorry if i caused any alarm, wasn't present in this assembly so i heard it through the grapevine :colondollar:

Oh okay, dont worry about it. I kinda thought that too:smile:. So are you a reapplicant too? I've just got used to the idea of it
Original post by pan_93
Oh okay, dont worry about it. I kinda thought that too:smile:. So are you a reapplicant too? I've just got used to the idea of it

Yeah i'm a reapplicant as well :smile: For me, there was like a month between my 3rd and 4th rejection so I had plenty of time to cry/throw stuff/smash things up greive my place at med school.
But now, I'm kind of looking forward to a gap year. Hands on experience, a better chance with achieved a levels, and money cos i would be getting the minimum loan with no grant (despite the fact that my parents support my large extended family as well as me) so i would have been broke if i got in this year
But just picture that unconditional offer! :rolleyes:
Reply 1194

Original post by pan_93

so out of interest are you guys thinking of applying to Cambridge when you reapply? I'm kind of considering it but not sure really!
Reply 1195
Yeah i'm a reapplicant as well :smile: For me, there was like a month between my 3rd and 4th rejection so I had plenty of time to cry/throw stuff/smash things up greive my place at med school.
But now, I'm kind of looking forward to a gap year. Hands on experience, a better chance with achieved a levels, and money cos i would be getting the minimum loan with no grant (despite the fact that my parents support my large extended family as well as me) so i would have been broke if i got in this year
But just picture that unconditional offer! :rolleyes:

Yeah i guess. An unconditional offer would be sick. You got any idea where you'll apply?
Reply 1196
Original post by pts9
so out of interest are you guys thinking of applying to Cambridge when you reapply? I'm kind of considering it but not sure really!

I'll only apply if I get 3A*'s at A-level, maybe 2A* as long as one is in chem. Where else you thinking mate, you gonna apply to any that are the same as this year?
Original post by pts9

I most definitely am not applying to Cambridge. I applied this year and soon after my interview, I realised it was all for the wrong reasons. At the interview, one of the med students said to me - and i quote, "I'm a third year and I've done nothing practical, I literally haven't even taken any bloods, quite frankly it's disgraceful" I know they have the whole preclinical and clinical years but still.. it is supposed to be a med school, the nature of the job is to be literally thrown in the deep end, me thinks :rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong, if you have mostly A*s at GCSE, think you'll achieve 2-3A*s at A Level plus a kickass BMAT (specifically scientific section) and think you'd excel at a verbal biology test they call an interview - it's probably worth a try :smile:
Original post by pan_93
Yeah i guess. An unconditional offer would be sick. You got any idea where you'll apply?

Southampton - no interview, don't care much about GCSEs :smile:
BSMS and Keele - more emphasis on personal statement, they use the UKCAT for selection but they're not complete UKCAT-whores.
Not going to bother with the BMAT because i doubt i'll improve, physics is my kryptonite and I'd rather use a test i can take before i apply, work hard for it and play this whole thing to my strengths this time if you get what i mean..

What about you??
Reply 1199
well i'm thinking Barts if i get a good UKCAT, liverpool, maybe imperial and somewhere else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending