The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8660
Why can't Wenger take a dog for a walk? He can't hold a lead. :hat2:
I don't care what anybody says about Wenger as I really like him.
Original post by JK.
You're alive?.. :eek2:

lol yeh.. missed this place too much.... how you been...sportsmod....ooooh :p:
Reply 8663
Didnt think we would win this. Was quite suprised we drew thought it would be 4-3 as soon as the second goal went in. When Wenger said he would be happy with second it just sums him up as a manager these days. His time has come and gone, its time for RADICAL changes if we want to get anywhere. A mass clearout is needed with denilson, rosicky, bendtner, squillaci, eboue, almunia, fabianski, diaby maybe arshavin, vela and clichy facing the exit. Cash injection of at least 60-80m is needed. Enough of this financial stability crap, what does it prove, that we control our money well? Big deal id rather win trophies than run my club like a business. Fair enough if you want to develop players...but look at barca, they develop their young players but THEY ALSO BUY BIG NAMES and experience eg. villa...henry...etc.etc..

Mr Wenger thank you for your top quality service...but its time for change
Reply 8664
Original post by TommyWannabe

An actual reply would be nice.

I don't really have any complaints because:

(i) I didn't really have any title hopes after Liverpool, so I don't really see this as majorly affecting the outcome of our season.
(ii) I thought the team looked greatly improved from their performance against Liverpool, particularly with regards to ball retention under pressure.
(iii) We were actually shooting, and shooting well at that, which I found very encouraging.
(iv) As far as I could see, none of the goals we conceded were because of major defensive bloopers or the like: van der Vaart's goal was very well executed, Huddlestone's was also well done as well as being practically impossible for Szczesny to see, and the penalty was both fair and an outcome of necessary actions (I think Szczesny was right to go for the ball, and only just missed it).
(v) We could have scored 4 or 5, but we could have conceded 6 or 7.
(vi) It was hard for me to feel too bad after a game like that. :dontknow:

I've already explained why I think bringing on Bendtner and Arshavin was not a totally absurd thing to do, and also mentioned that I didn't think it was the best decision to make.
Original post by MrEboueEmmanuel
Sunderland 1-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 2-3 Tottenham
Wigan 2-2 Arsenal
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Tottenham 3-3 Arsenal

All games we've thrown away a lead late on. 2x2 goal leads and a 4 goal lead. That is 13 points, which would put us 7 ahead of United. We really need to sort out the mental strength of the players

not that black and white. Man United have also thrown away leads and lost a fair number of points as a consequence.
It's a series of poor results that has let us down - losing at home to WBA was simply unacceptable.
Reply 8667
Original post by Abiraleft
(iv) As far as I could see, none of the goals we conceded were because of major defensive bloopers or the like: van der Vaart's goal was very well executed, Huddlestone's was also well done as well as being practically impossible for Szczesny to see, and the penalty was both fair and an outcome of necessary actions (I think Szczesny was right to go for the ball, and only just missed it)

Szczesny was at fault for Van Der Varts opener imo. His positioning was all over the shop, and left him with too much to do.

another costly keeper error.
I dunno VdV hit it hard and early, I don't think any keeper would have expected it, nor for him to go near post.
Original post by L18
Szczesny was at fault for Van Der Varts opener imo. His positioning was all over the shop, and left him with too much to do.

another costly keeper error.

If he'd positioned himself anywhere else VDV had a bigger gap to hit so no - shot was well-executed and struck firmly and early, and right inside the post.

Gomes' positioning for Nasri's goal was much more questionable.

As for 'costly' it was 6 minutes into the game. :dunce:

On a side note,

LAD.
Reply 8670
Original post by marcusmerehay
If he'd positioned himself anywhere else VDV had a bigger gap to hit so no - shot was well-executed and struck firmly and early, and right inside the post.

Getting beat at your near post is never acceptable.

It was, but Gomes is a poor keeper also.

So goals conceeded early aren't costly?
We seemed to loose a lot of steam in the second half.. its dissapointing how we simply cant seem to hold a good lead and it all crumbles in the dying minutes.. cant help but feel the defence is somewhat lacking, they were picking us apart from what I saw of the second half, missed the firs

On a side note,

LAD.

http://soccertvlive.blogspot.com/2011/04/video-szczesny-brings-down-lennon-poor.html
LAD
Original post by white_haired_wizard
not that black and white. Man United have also thrown away leads and lost a fair number of points as a consequence.

Whether you can see out 20 minutes of a game isn't dependent on whether Arsenal can. The two things aren't linked so he has a fair point.
Original post by L18
Getting beat at your near post is never acceptable.

Sorry, but as a keeper myself I find it impossible to agree with your judgement of that particular goal.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I love how the article calls it 'poor goalkeeping', when it was in fact poor defending by Sagna who was nowhere to be seen.

What was Szczesny supposed to do, stay on his line and let Lennon score? :colonhash:
I love how the article calls it 'poor goalkeeping', when it was in fact poor defending by Sagna who was nowhere to be seen.

What was Szczesny supposed to do, stay on his line and let Lennon score? :colonhash:
i didnt even read the article tbh - just wanted the video :biggrin:
Reply 8677
Original post by Kevmeister
Man for man? You're taking the ****ing piss. The only player from your back four that may get into the Utd team is Sagna.

Nani > Walcott.

VDS > Chesney.

The only area you are in any way stronger is in central midfield. Our attacking options far outweigh yours.

I would only swap Ferdinand and Vidic.
Reply 8678
Sorry, but as a keeper myself I find it impossible to agree with your judgement of that particular goal.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

:borat:
Original post by Ano1
we need to accept that players like Park/Fletcher > Rosicky/Diaby/Densilson.
sometimes its these players that makes the difference in a match

im not sure about getting in this hazard guy, hes abit young, do we really need another one?
we need experience.

He's a winger, something I think we need.

As options on the wing, all we have are pacy ex. CFs shafted out there (Wallcott, Arshavin)

Former central/attacking mids who are made to play there (Nasri, Rosicky etc.)

Or Eboue.

Hazard looks like a guy who knows how to play on the wing and torment a full back, we don't really have anyone like that atm someone who cant eally make a full backs life a living hell, and so most of our attacking play goes through the middle.

Seen it time and again where we go down the wing, **** all happens so we either:

a) pass it along the box which usually ends up in noting happening/turnover

or

b) pass it to Clichy/Sanga to cross it in.

Latest