The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Muslim Looking for Accommodation

Hey I'm looking for student accommodation in Sheffield (preferably a modern apartment) with fellow Muslims. :eek: My intention isn’t to create race hate, but due to the dietary requirements it would more practical if I was with a group of Muslims. I'm not too fussed as to where, but as long as it’s decent.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hastheg
Hey I'm looking for student accommodation in Sheffield (preferably a modern apartment) with fellow Muslims. :eek: My intention isn’t to create race hate, but due to the dietary requirements it would more practical if I was with a group of Muslims. I'm not too fussed as to where, but as long as it’s decent.:smile:

cool cool what are u studying?/ going to study?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Makes sense :smile:. Good luck in your search :biggrin:. I wish you the best of luck. (Sorry I couldn't be of any help *blush*)
Original post by hastheg

Not knowing that much about the Muslim faith, I know that you have to eat Halal food, but is there any reason why other people in your flat can't just eat normal meat?

This is a genuine question not a criticism, I am asking this because I am a vegetarian and I have lived with meat eaters in accommodation before.
I live in a flat of 10 in Uni accommodation, and one of them is a Muslim. There's a shop on West Street (if you go to Shef you'll come accustomed to this street very quickly) where he gets his Halal food, particularly meats I think, and his different dietary requirements have never caused any friction at all. But obviously everyone's different I guess.

Are you actually applying to University or are you there already? I think it would be difficult to secure a whole Muslim occupied flat from the University owned accommodation.
Reply 5
i'm a muslim too (girl) and it looks like i'm going to be firming sheffield, i can't seem to find anything on the website about single sex flats? can anyone help?
Reply 6
Original post by twinklestar
i'm a muslim too (girl) and it looks like i'm going to be firming sheffield, i can't seem to find anything on the website about single sex flats? can anyone help?

When you apply for the accommodation online you can choose whether you would mind being in mixed sex flats or not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
You could stay with me......but where I live is a ....pig sty :mmm:

And I have nothing helpful to add. I'm sorry :creep:
Reply 8
Err OK. No idea why you've posted that here thou..
Reply 9
Original post by hastheg

It might be worth getting in contact with the accomodation department directly. I'm sure they would be able to give you much more helpful answers.

Also you mention a modern apartment. In my opinion, Opal 2 is much more modern and less expensive than any of the university owned accomodation, even the newly built blocks. x
In all fairness, if you have your own grill etc.. then it shouldn't be an issue living with people with different religions
Don't they ask you on your accomodation application if you have special dietary requirements?
Original post by (:Becca(:
Don't they ask you on your accomodation application if you have special dietary requirements?

I don't see why they would ask that on a form, unless of course you are getting catering. Also, from what I've read it's really quite bad to get catering as they cater at set times, with set meals(The set meals is not a big deal, but there are set times obviously)

With catering, you'd probably have to spend money on eating any way, considering that due to lectures etc... you may miss whatever is being cooked for you
Original post by de_monies
I don't see why they would ask that on a form, unless of course you are getting catering. Also, from what I've read it's really quite bad to get catering as they cater at set times, with set meals(The set meals is not a big deal, but there are set times obviously)

With catering, you'd probably have to spend money on eating any way, considering that due to lectures etc... you may miss whatever is being cooked for you

My accomodation application asked me if I was vegan or only ate halal/kosher food and I've applied for self catered :s-smilie:
Original post by (:Becca(:
My accomodation application asked me if I was vegan or only ate halal/kosher food and I've applied for self catered :s-smilie:

Hmm... It may be a one form fits all, or it may be relevant for canteen food etc..
Reply 15
alsalam alaekom

dear hastheg, iam muslim and i have a private apartment in luxury tower in city centre.
the 11th floor with amazing view

fully furnished

24 hours security attendance

5 mins walk to the university, 2 mins to Sainsbury’s, 1 min to waitros, 2 mins to the nearest bus stop that takes you to the middle of the city centre in 3 mins.

and it is near the london road which is full of muslim and halal shops

VERY LOW PRICE, IT WAS 595 BUT NOW 475 ONLY, ONLY ONE AVILABLE (SHORT TERM, MINIMUM CONTRACT IS five MOTHS)

please tell me if you want to view it.

thank you
Original post by rootcanal
i'm a muslim girl too, and i've firmed sheff. i've just applied for accomm and on it, it asked whether i minded sharing a kitchen/ flat with both males and females. but i;m going to ring up tomorrow and see whether i can ask to be with other muslim girls, due to dietary requirements. which accomm are you looking at. i applied for endcliffe

oh thank god, i thought i was going to be one of the only muslim girls in halls!! on here people are telling me opal2 wich is one of the city ones as people don't tend to be too sociable there.. but then apparently u have to pay extra for internet and ALOT of people were saying that the bathrooms are horrible, cleaners never come and stuff and i don't want to live with unsociable people so maybe not lol

good idea but i can't remember on the application form (i've only seen the printable version) if it ever asked about religion/food..

the main thing i'm looking for in accomodation is that its en-suite, single-sex, but the people in the flat arent going to make me feel bad that i don't share their idea of fun (ie clubbing etc)
Reply 17
Muslims can eat and live with non muslims.
If you want a Muslim-only flat for other religious reasons fair enough (I personally hate the idea of segregation, but it's more important that you feel comfortable), but for "dietary requirements" it is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what you imagine halls is like, but you can very easily cook your own food to your own requirements. I'm the only vegetarian in the flat and I've never had the slightest problem with ensuring any food I eat is "safe" from contamination.
Reply 19
Original post by keira
Muslims can eat and live with non muslims.

Of course they can no one is disputing that but as Muslims only eat halal food you can see how it would be uncomfortable to share a kitchen where there is unhalal food cooked there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending