The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official Passfield Hall 2011 Thread!!!

hi everyone,

my name is himesh and I am the president of the Passfield Hall committee. Feel free to ask any questions about the hall on this thread and ill try and answer them.

Some info on the hall is on the LSE website:

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/lifeAtLSE/accommodation/forStudents/residentialHalls/passfieldHall/passfieldHallHomePage.aspx

The Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LSE-Passfield-Hall-2011-2012-Information/178042672246368#!/pages/LSE-Passfield-Hall-2011-2012-Information/178042672246368?sk=wall

SOME INFO:

The hall in mainly undergrad (we had about 4 postgrads this year).
Contrary to the LSE website first years should only expect to share a room if you apply for a shared room, or you apply late, or are VERY unlucky.
It is about 20 mins away from LSE by walking, 5-10 by bus.
We have a pool table, fussball table, PS3, virgin media, twister, monopoly, giant jenga.
There is a garden, a canteen with dinner that is included in your room fees for 6 nights a week and brunch on saturday.
Dinner at Passfield is what makes the hall have a community feel with everyone coming down and meeting new peopel everyday.

You have your committee.. me and 4 others ... (3 of us will be 3rd years and so we know what needs to be done for you guys to all have fun).
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi

Just wondering how clean are the rooms and how many people share a bathroom if i apply for single non-en-suite rooms.

Thanks
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Can you post more pics on both Single and Twin rooms? Thanks~
Reply 3
hey bella0123,

the rooms are very clean to start with but it is up to you after that to look after them.

in terms of bathrooms, it depends which building your room is in but usually no more then 5 and you can use any bathroom in the whole of the hall so everyone usually finds a fav one that they use.

WeiChin, i will try and get pics of sing and twin rooms, i am not currently at the halls because its the holidays but i can see what i can do.
LSE website says that all first year undergraduates must expect to share a room; is this necessarily always the case for first years? (It is the only thing putting me off by the way)
Reply 5
Hey no this is actually not the case, if you apply for a single room as a first year you will almost certainly get it.

The unlucky first years that had to share either chose to (due to how cheap it is, or because they were sharing with people they knew) or applied VERY late.

I have shared a room at Passfield two years in a row now and its actually not too bad.

But yes the LSE website is actually wrong and they have not changed that bit from when half the residents were Postgrads, so they go priority over single rooms, but now the halls are 95% Undergrad.

Feel free to ask any other questions
Please tell me if we are allowed to choose our roommates xD i heard that we are not, but coming from you will give it more credibility though :smile:

By the way, do the halls check rooms (as inspections) or something, and if yes, how often?

Do single rooms have enough space to put a fridge in, and how much will that cost?
Reply 7
Original post by Loran Aniseed
Please tell me if we are allowed to choose our roommates xD i heard that we are not, but coming from you will give it more credibility though :smile:

By the way, do the halls check rooms (as inspections) or something, and if yes, how often?

Do single rooms have enough space to put a fridge in, and how much will that cost?

Hey well you can choose people you already know and put down in your application form that you would like to share with them. But otherwise it is random although it is common for people to swap rooms at the start of the year to share with someone they are more like. The system where you apply usually has a sharing form where you put down things like what time you usually go bed, if you smoke etc so it tries to fit people.

Rooms are usually checked once a term (if that) and you get an email a week before.

You can have a fridge in your room, it costs a tenner i think for a term

Hope that helps
Reply 8
i heard bad things about passfield
are these true?
Reply 9
Original post by Milan.
are these true?

Go revise for EC102
On the application form I can only opt for single or shared. Is it possible to request for a twin room and not triple? Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by wonderstruck-
On the application form I can only opt for single or shared. Is it possible to request for a twin room and not triple? Thanks!

Unfortunately not, maybe under the circumstances section specify you would like a double, however, I doubt that will help as is you choose shared then you will be randomly in a twin/triple depending on allocations and all that stuff.
Reply 12
Question: Is anyone thinking of applying/has applied for a shared room in Passfield? :biggrin:
Reply 13
I've applied for a shared room at Passfield. It's my first choice.
Does anyone know how likely it is we get our first choices?
Original post by Milan.
are these true?

Lol I've heard terrible things about Saunders, is it true...Millie? :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by LawSuit
I've applied for a shared room at Passfield. It's my first choice.
Does anyone know how likely it is we get our first choices?

It is very likely you get your first choice, especially a Passfield shared room as most people would choose single rooms. I have got a passfield shared room for the past two years and it has been my first choice. It is also my first choice this year.
Reply 16
Original post by H.Patel
It is very likely you get your first choice, especially a Passfield shared room as most people would choose single rooms. I have got a passfield shared room for the past two years and it has been my first choice. It is also my first choice this year.

Thanks - does this mean you've been in halls for your entire time at LSE?
That's something I'd definitely like to look into - how did you manage it? :smile:
Original post by H.Patel
Hey well you can choose people you already know and put down in your application form that you would like to share with them. But otherwise it is random although it is common for people to swap rooms at the start of the year to share with someone they are more like. The system where you apply usually has a sharing form where you put down things like what time you usually go bed, if you smoke etc so it tries to fit people.

Rooms are usually checked once a term (if that) and you get an email a week before.

You can have a fridge in your room, it costs a tenner i think for a term

Hope that helps

A tenner will be awesome xD i mean, i live in host family now and i am used to store loads of fruit (orange, grapes and clemetines - my favourite!) in fridges and to be honest i didnt want to be too impolite to store up too many space in communal fridges :P But i heard there are specific measurements about the fridge that we got to follow?
Reply 18
Original post by LawSuit
Thanks - does this mean you've been in halls for your entire time at LSE?
That's something I'd definitely like to look into - how did you manage it? :smile:

Wein my first year i was on good terms with the hall committee because I helped out alot and it meant I could stay on at the halls. I live in london anyway so there was no point me renting a place, and I thought hey your only gonna be at uni for 3 years and halls are best place to be.
Then this year I am president on the committee and so I am kinda guranteed a place again, although alot of people apply without being on the committee and stay on at halls too.
Reply 19
Original post by Loran Aniseed
A tenner will be awesome xD i mean, i live in host family now and i am used to store loads of fruit (orange, grapes and clemetines - my favourite!) in fridges and to be honest i didnt want to be too impolite to store up too many space in communal fridges :P But i heard there are specific measurements about the fridge that we got to follow?

Yeah I think there is a measurement restriction. The best thing to do would be to call up Passfield hall reception on 0207 107 5925 and ask what size is acceptable or email them on [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest