The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by ThePropheticNomad
lol so even sociology/social policy/government/history is fine?

Enough to get you interviews, particularly if accompanied with a good CV/cover letter
Reply 161

Original post by 100
Yes.

Thanks, but is there any difference in terms of your chances of getting in to IB between going to ICL and Warwick (for a degree in Mathematics)? And would it be easier to get a job having done Part III rather than either of those two?
Original post by CityTrader
If I retierd at 28 I dont think I would spend my life doing degrees! lol, I would rather just party and enjoy life...

Erm, sounds pretty much like uni to me.
Original post by und
I think this thread has confused me. Is a degree in Mathematics from Imperial College London enough to secure an interview at an IB for a Quant Analyst role, along with relevant work experience?

I don't even know much about this and I'm pretty sure the answer will be "yes, as long as your degree result is competitive, and you have good ECs."
Reply 164
Original post by TurboCretin

Original post by TurboCretin
I don't even know much about this and I'm pretty sure the answer will be "yes, as long as your degree result is competitive, and you have good ECs."

Hmm.. I didn't think ECs would make a huge difference, seeing as all you need to be good at to do Quant Analysis is Mathematics and programming. What kinds of ECs do you mean?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I want to do Economics at the Royal Holloway. Is it good enough?
Sorry for going to the stereotype.

I was thinkinng the exact samething, except i'm gonna decline royal holloway and go Queen Mary.... Any chances in Ib anyone for me ???????? :confused:
Original post by Iqbal007
I was thinkinng the exact samething, except i'm gonna decline royal holloway and go Queen Mary.... Any chances in Ib anyone for me ???????? :confused:

My friend is at RBS IBD from QMUL.
Original post by und
Hmm.. I didn't think ECs would make a huge difference, seeing as all you need to be good at to do Quant Analysis is Mathematics and programming. What kinds of ECs do you mean?

Well this isn't really my area, but you need to make yourself stand out from all the other people who've done maths at top unis. That's the general idea with applying for any competitive job. When I say ECs I'm including work experience etc.
what would set me up better for IB or a job in finance?
Imperial or UCL both for chemical engineering?
does imperial have better links than UCL or vica versa.
Reply 169
Original post by househouse
what would set me up better for IB or a job in finance?
Imperial or UCL both for chemical engineering?
does imperial have better links than UCL or vica versa.

Virtually indistinguishable. You'll be above 90% of other candidates anyway.
Original post by 100
Virtually indistinguishable. You'll be above 90% of other candidates anyway.

hmmm tough choice + imperial workload is said to be 'intense'
Reply 171

It'll be a busy course at both places but I don't doubt that UCL would be more fun!
Reply 172

That sounds great! Is the Mathematics course as intense as those at Cambridge and Oxford?
Original post by und
That sounds great! Is the Mathematics course as intense as those at Cambridge and Oxford?

yeah i reckon it is
Original post by infernalcradle
simply put....no

you need to go to to a target uni to be within a shout....

however if you have work exp, solid ECs and a solid degree (1st IMO), there is no reason you wouldn't have a chance....

but then there is also the issue of UCAS point filters....as many will not even look at you if you have less than about 300 point...

wats EC'S?
Original post by unknown demon
My friend is at RBS IBD from QMUL.

:O Are you being serious ?
What did your friend study at QMUL? I'm planning on doing Economics, plus how long ago was this?
Plus do you think the table below is reliable :confused: because i do have offers from City and Royal Holloway, but I find QMUL more internationally recognised.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7795578&postcount=1
wats EC'S?

extra curriculars
:O Are you being serious ?
What did your friend study at QMUL? I'm planning on doing Economics, plus how long ago was this?
Plus do you think the table below is reliable :confused: because i do have offers from City and Royal Holloway, but I find QMUL more internationally recognised.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7795578&postcount=1

Yes why is this so hard to believe.

Last year a good friend of mine was interning at Goldman from London Met.

Every year several people from non-target universities break into top banks either through contacts, referrals or having very good applications i.e. top grades, good work experience and extra-curriculars.

The people who BADLY want the internships/grad offers and go the extra mile tend to get there in the end.
Original post by unknown demon
Yes why is this so hard to believe.

Last year a good friend of mine was interning at Goldman from London Met.

Every year several people from non-target universities break into top banks either through contacts, referrals or having very good applications i.e. top grades, good work experience and extra-curriculars.

The people who BADLY want the internships/grad offers and go the extra mile tend to get there in the end.

Likelihood is it was back office. University bias doesnt apply so much to middle and back office positions, pretty much "anyone" with a respectable degree can get a back office job.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Zweihander
Likelihood is it was back office. University bias doesnt apply so much to middle and back office positions, pretty much "anyone" with a respectable degree can get a back office job.

Quants/Strategists - on the floor so no. Not back office.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

There is also a guy who worked at MS (S&T) from Kingston - 07/08 grad and now works at Millennium Global in the Investment Team. And it wasn't family connections either he was just very very good.

Latest

Trending

Trending