The Student Room Group

Why is the A-level Business Studies seen as a soft option?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Clip
Rather than look at it empirically, consider what that statistic might suggest.

Is it possible that it indicates that many more able students take Maths A-levels, and some less able students take Business Studies?

Couldn't agree more.

This thread is ridiculous. You should stop asking why business is seen as a soft option and just accept that it is. You are trying to prove it is not a soft subject but what's the point? It is blacklisted by both LSE and Cambridge, whilst this does not necessarily give an accurate representation of universities as an aggregate it should give you an idea of how subjects are considered by universities.
Reply 81
Original post by Clip
Rather than look at it empirically, consider what that statistic might suggest.

Is it possible that it indicates that many more able students take Maths A-levels, and some less able students take Business Studies?

No..
According to people
Maths is hard.
Business is easy.
If 'less able' did business, and 'more able' did maths.. then common sense says the percentages would be more equal, does it not?

Or are their facts behind your ridiculous theory?
I can do, and have done, 20 past papers for maths and achieved 90%+ in each core module to date (and AA M1/D1). In business it's far harder to get an A.
Reply 83
Original post by tateco
Couldn't agree more.

This thread is ridiculous. You should stop asking why business is seen as a soft option and just accept that it is. You are trying to prove it is not a soft subject but what's the point? It is blacklisted by both LSE and Cambridge, whilst this does not necessarily give an accurate representation of universities as an aggregate it should give you an idea of how subjects are considered by universities.

Many have said the top universities look down on it, they do not 'black list it'. Many have got in to oxbridge and the like with business, you people seem to think it's some kind of impossibility.

OH and btw, i got an offer from Warwick (listed as first for business subjects in 2011 by the Guardian) and i did business, so it happens.. deal with it, wanna say how i'm somehow a minority? guess you've got to ignore my 3 friends, who did business, who got the same offer. You've also got to ignore the subject leader who, at the visiting day, stated to us that they do not 'look down on it' anywhere near as much as people think.
Reply 84
Well you definatley have to put some work into it to do well.

I did A-Level Business Studies and it is not as soft as what people make it out to be, yes it is not as challenging as some other A-levels but you still have to work for it to get a good grade.

It is probably something that your Maths friends think they could get an A* in but in reality they probably couldn't.
Reply 85
Original post by Tommyjw
Many have said the top universities look down on it, they do not 'black list it'. Many have got in to oxbridge and the like with business, you people seem to think it's some kind of impossibility.

OH and btw, i got an offer from Warwick (listed as first for business subjects in 2011 by the Guardian) and i did business, so it happens.. deal with it, wanna say how i'm somehow a minority? guess you've got to ignore my 3 friends, who did business, who got the same offer. You've also got to ignore the subject leader who, at the visiting day, stated to us that they do not 'look down on it' anywhere near as much as people think.

Yes but you wanted to study business at university (When you do a subject at university that has a soft A-level, for example sociology at LSE, they wouldn't mind one soft A-level if it's relevant to the subject). In GENERAL it is looked down on MORE THAN OTHER subjects, and that is the point we are trying to make.
Original post by tateco
Yes but you wanted to study business at university (When you do a subject at university that has a soft A-level, for example sociology at LSE, they wouldn't mind one soft A-level if it's relevant to the subject). In GENERAL it is looked down on MORE THAN OTHER subjects, and that is the point we are trying to make.

But the question is why, rather than 'please make your point over and over'.
Reply 87
Original post by tateco

OH dear..
So now we've got an idiot thinking a business management degree at warwick is some kind of 'soft' degree, worse than others?
Your sir, are an idiot.

It is looked down on, with lots of other subjects too, in the top 5/10 .. below that it is not, at all. Feel free to go find me some evidence that lot's of universities look down upon on it and come back. Until then, i'll continue to think (know) your a naive and uninformed fool , thanks, try again :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by ben_smith
Well you definatley have to put some work into it to do well.

I did A-Level Business Studies and it is not as soft as what people make it out to be, yes it is not as challenging as some other A-levels but you still have to work for it to get a good grade.

It is probably something that your Maths friends think they could get an A* in but in reality they probably couldn't.

Wahey, here's a case study of someone that agrees it is not as challenging as other subject and is softer :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by tateco
Wahey, here's a case study of someone that agrees it is not as challenging as other subject and is softer :smile:

and a person a few above that who said it isnt as easy as maths.

Read the thread, and the countless people who have said it isnt as easy as people say., infact read Glens post a few above.. you can read.. right? Good, go read his post. Because i'm sure you are too ignorant to read the whole thread.

Seriously, your failing, try harder.
Reply 90
Original post by Tommyjw
No..
According to people
Maths is hard.
Business is easy.
If 'less able' did business, and 'more able' did maths.. then common sense says the percentages would be more equal, does it not?

Or are their facts behind your ridiculous theory?

Why should the percentages equal themselves out? Is it not more likely that they wouldn't, rather than reach some cosmic equilibrium?

Consider the possibility that the academic range between Maths and Business Studies is narrower than the academic range of the students that take them.

It's remarkable that you call this a "ridiculous theory". The facts that are beyond debate are that Business Studies is not favoured by many Universities. That cannot be denied. Is it not smarter to consider scenarios that support that fact, rather than ones that contradict it? Because sitting around thinking of reasons why top dog Universities should consider Business Studies is an exercise in futility.

I would personally be reasonably open-minded to someone telling me why Business Studies is great, and somehow analogous to the admissions test for the NASA Space Programme. But I'm not a University Admissions Tutor - so it's pointless telling me - and I can see how they would think. They have 1000s of applications to wade through - their general idea is that Business Studies is a loser, and their general perception is that less capable students do it.

Their rationale would be as follows:

Imagine there were such an A-level as "Kim Kardashian Studies". The university would say - "That's rubbish and meaningless and would only be taken by joke students who sit around all day reading Hello! and watching reality TV." If you do well - you've only done well in a joke A-level. If you do badly - you are clearly a low quality student anyway. So it's a lose-lose situation.

An exaggeration, but the principle is the same. Not how I see it, but how the Universities would.
Reply 91
Original post by tateco

What I am saying is, that maybe it is not hard as Maths (I also did Maths) but it is not the softest subject. Take a look at psychology for example! :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by Tommyjw
OH dear..
So now we've got an idiot thinking a business management degree at warwick is some kind of 'soft' degree, worse than others?
Your sir, are an idiot.

It is looked down on, with lots of other subjects too, in the top 5/10 .. below that it is not, at all. Feel free to go find me some evidence that lot's of universities look down upon on it and come back. Until then, i'll continue to think (know) your a naive and uninformed fool , thanks, try again :smile:

If you refer to my post what I was trying to say was degrees associated A-levels can sometimes be seen as soft. Once we start looking out of the top 10 universities begin to get less selective, but again, if you refer to my earlier post you will see that I said it doesn't give an accurate representation of all universities but it should give you an idea of what universities are looking for.

If you got an offer for Warwick why did you end up at Plymouth?
Because Economics is better in every way.

So taking Business studies is like taking the easier version of Economics.
I think maths is harder in terms of the content. But they are both as good really in my opinion. It depends on peoples own strengths though really.
Reply 95
Original post by Tommyjw
and a person a few above that who said it isnt as easy as maths.

Read the thread, and the countless people who have said it isnt as easy as people say., infact read Glens post a few above.. you can read.. right? Good, go read his post. Because i'm sure you are too ignorant to read the whole thread.

Seriously, your failing, try harder.

When you're telling someone they're failing I find it best to use correct grammar and spelling or else the 'harsh pun' becomes slightly less reputable (especially when it includes advice on literacy). :/
Reply 96
Original post by ben_smith
What I am saying is, that maybe it is not hard as Maths (I also did Maths) but it is not the softest subject. Take a look at psychology for example! :smile:

Finally someone can come on here with a good, moderate viewpoint.
Reply 97
Original post by tateco
If you refer to my post what I was trying to say was degrees associated A-levels can sometimes be seen as soft. Once we start looking out of the top 10 universities begin to get less selective, but again, if you refer to my earlier post you will see that I said it doesn't give an accurate representation of all universities but it should give you an idea of what universities are looking for.

If you got an offer for Warwick why did you end up at Plymouth?

And i wasn;t aware business management was considered a 'soft degree' , my apologies, i guess you have evidence that's true and not just your opinion, right? Else it would be silly to make such an assumptuion, right?

and because i didn't get the grades, got ABC, think the requirement was ABB

Oh and by the way, good job for ignoring the point on the last post, you really are quite idiotic aren't you?

Picking out one post who agree'd with you, slightly, and ignoring every other post that goes against your opinion. Really.. it's amazing someone is that stupid.

Original post by Clip
Why should the percentages equal themselves out? Is it not more likely that they wouldn't, rather than reach some cosmic equilibrium?

Consider the possibility that the academic range between Maths and Business Studies is narrower than the academic range of the students that take them.

It's remarkable that you call this a "ridiculous theory". The facts that are beyond debate are that Business Studies is not favoured by many Universities.

The rest of your stupid post is rambling, so i stopped here.

The last sentence, really, your gonna be that idiotic?

You really are deluded.

Seriously, find some facts to back up your opinion.. go on .. try it. Business is looked down upon a little at the very top universities, but it isn't a 'if he does business, he doesnt get an offer' as shown by the fact i got one from Warwick, and i'm not alone. And there is no facts at all to prove business is looked down upin by universities below the top 10.

So, before you carry on rambling about useless irrelevant stuff and continue to post your ignorant opinions based on no real facts and going against personal experience.. have fun.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by Tommyjw
And i wasn;t aware business management was considered a 'soft degree' , my apologies, i guess you have evidence that's true and not just your opinion, right? Else it would be silly to make such an assumptuion, right?

and because i didn't get the grades, got ABC, think the requirement was ABB

Oh and by the way, good job for ignoring the point on the last post, you really are quite idiotic aren't you?

Picking out one post who agree'd with you, slightly, and ignoring every other post that goes against your opinion. Really.. it's amazing someone is that stupid.

The rest of your stupid post is rambling, so i stopped here.

The last sentence, really, your gonna be that idiotic?

You really are deluded.

Seriously, find some facts to back up your opinion.. go on .. try it. Business is looked down upon a little at the very top universities, but it isn't a 'if he does business, he doesnt get an offer' as shown by the fact i got one from Warwick, and i'm not alone. And there is no facts at all to prove business is looked down upin by universities below the top 10.

So, before you carry on rambling about useless irrelevant stuff and continue to post your ignorant opinions based on no real facts and going against personal experience.. have fun.

My God you are so dim. I said ASSOCIATED A-LEVELS of the degree. E.g. A Business A-level for a business management degree. Or a Sociology A-level for a sociology degree (meaning the degrees aren't soft, but the A-levels are considered soft)
Reply 99
Original post by tateco
My God you are so dim. I said ASSOCIATED A-LEVELS of the degree. E.g. A Business A-level for a business management degree. Or a Sociology A-level for a sociology degree (meaning the degrees aren't soft, but the A-levels are considered soft)

Your still ignoring the main point, about people on this thread, lol, bless, your quite special aren't you.

No really, do carry on, maybe one other person will come on and agree with you so you can quote them and ignore anyone else who doesnt share the same view as you, carry on doing that, your doing great already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending